Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

We love the 29MV...do you?

This is my first post as we now fit in the category of “we hope to soon be owners” of a 2017 29MV. Over the past several weeks I have been reading hundreds of posts on this Forum about Jayco in general and specifically about the 29MV. And so far I like very much what I see. So yesterday we headed to a Jayco dealer and spent three hours, without salesperson assistance, going over, under, and through a new 29MV taking pictures, measurements and notes. And we really liked what we saw.

As a bit of background, my wife and I began our camping passion in May of 2013 in a new 24 foot travel trailer, which was purchased just prior to our retirements. The floor plan is perfect for the two of us and our 12 pound rescue Ellee. During this short 4 year time span, we have camped a total of 279 nights, from as short as 3 nights to our longest excursion, 98 nights, but we are averaging 15 nights per trip, with a little bit of boondocking in Cades Cove included. We have logged close to 20,000 miles on the trailer, with 120 miles as the shortest trip and 4,000 miles as the longest.

But, we want more. If we do a cross-country trip to see the National Parks in Utah, we need more storage space than the three drawers, 2-twelve inch wardrobes, and a couple of small cabinets that our current rig affords us. And wouldn’t it be nice if I could get a cold drink out of the fridge without having to find a place to park, get out of the truck, drop the steps, open the trailer, put out the slide, get the drink, then do it all again in reverse? Or not have to worry about weight distribution hitches, chains, sway bars, and manual leveling jacks?

So, other than the issues with the Girard tankless water heater, slide toppers, and Hellwig springs, what would you change about your 29MV if you could? What don’t you like? What impresses you the most? I know that these questions have been asked in the past, but they always seem to go off in tangents, so I apologize in advance if you may have answered this question before. Thank you!
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #2

We chose this model for a variety of reasons; big kitchen area, slides on opposite side of campsite, full use with slides closed, full walk around bed, tons of inside storage and split bath. May want to look at 2018 model. Has new interior color cabinets and floor, new nav/radio, updated keyless door lock, white exterior, slam latches on outside storage doors and larger tank capacities.

Whether you choose a 17 or 18 you will love it. Jayco is a great brand with a loyal following.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

I've done some of the things you mentioned already. First thing I did was swap out the Girard WH for a 6 gal tank. So far I've adjusted the Hellwigs, installed slide toppers, replaced the shower head, installed baggage door catches, installed small accumulator, replaced incandescent bulbs with LED (inside and out and running lights), installed Maxxair bath fan, set up spare tire in hitch, made screen for emergency exit, replaced jackknife couch with tri-fold (standard for 2017), installed battery monitor, and installed autoformer.

What we like about it over our previous MHs is the ride and drive. Best yet, hands down! Our previous Class A MH rode and drove like a bread truck. Best looking rig of the bunch but no fun to drive.

We prefer opposing couch/dinette, but this floor plan has a huge galley compared to our other MHs. Counter space with the pull-out is really nice.

Some folks don't like the keyless entry, but that's one of my favorite features. Use it all the time and don't have to fish for my keys. Just make sure you use Lithium batteries.

We've had some problems, which is to be expected, but no serious show stoppers. The only warranty problem I had fixed was done by Ford. I had an oil light on for about 15000 miles but obviously it was just an indicator. Ford got it right after the second time in for repair.

As for storage, this one has way more than we'll ever use. Outside storage areas are all only about half full and I've got plenty of empty drawers in the galley and bedroom. And I've lived in it for months sometimes while camp hosting.

I know we really like our rig and use it every opportunity we can including using it for a bedroom while parked at the kids/gkids house. Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #4

We are total newbies and picked up our 2018 Greyhawk MV 29 2 weeks ago. We did a ton of research, and rv shows before we purchased this model. Camped at Ft wilderness for 2 nights to test everything. A few minor issues (not the coach) but a good learning experience. We love this RV and are happy with our decision. I believe you will be too. It's hard to beat Jayco for amenities and price. We almost bought a Thor Windsport. thank God the deal fell thorough. I have been busy adding things to make our camping more enjoyable and safe. You can probably get a 2018 model for close to the price of a 2017. With the upgrades to the newer model it's worth a bit more if you choose the 2018. Fiberglass roof, 6 gallon fast recovery tank water heater and new interior colors. The all white exterior will cut down on the heat load also so your single A/C should keep it cool. We live in the tropics and the unit stays cool. Good luck and enjoy.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

That is a a really nice MH. We may wind up there someday! Congratulations and Enjoy!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Bought are 2016 29MV last July. Only issues we had was a ground wire loose on the water heater & seal the shower better. Other than that we really like the floor plan alot. Had a 5th wheel & Travel Trailer both Jayco and were happy with both of those. They Have made a few upgrades since 2016, looks to be an even better unit. Good Luck with your decision!!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
We chose this model for a variety of reasons; big kitchen area, slides on opposite side of campsite, full use with slides closed, full walk around bed, tons of inside storage and split bath. May want to look at 2018 model. Has new interior color cabinets and floor, new nav/radio, updated keyless door lock, white exterior, slam latches on outside storage doors and larger tank capacities.

Whether you choose a 17 or 18 you will love it. Jayco is a great brand with a loyal following.
This is our first MH, after about two years of research, we picked this make and model. We got our 2017 29MV October 2016 and Love it! No issue to date. Choose for most of the same reasons MrJackSprat listed. We have 4,000 miles on it already camped about 40 nights in it over several camping trips. Boon-docking and full hookups, mostly with some combination of hookups. I like the few updates on the 2018 (slam latches on exterior storage doors, Garmain in dash) and would opt for those if I was in the market for a new one.
Mods we'd made, LED lights on the outside, Max Air vents on both roof vents, new Shower head, cleats under bathroom mirrors to keep from sagging (fixed on 2018 model), Screen door handle knob, Velcro screen added to exit window in bedroom, new mattress on main bed, carrying a 30 gallon water bladder in the toad for addition water when boon-docking.
Future mods:
We are looking at AGM battery and adding additional for house batteries and solar panels.
Living with the Girrad water heater for now, its great when you have full hook ups. But as we do more boon-docking will probably look at switching it out, maybe with a Truma unit.
The Steering stabilizer could use some beefing up, may look into that. It does tend to get pushed / pulled when a semi passed you on the highway.

Overall I think you will love the floor plan of the 29MV and the quality of the Jayco product.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #8

We would pick the 29MV over the others save the 31DS. We wish ours had more exterior cargo space, but w/ Greyhawks being porky as far as their weights are concerned I'm not sure anybody can really utilize extra storage w/o going over on weight. I grabbed mine over 2 others when I saw my cargo was 2083 pounds. That's pretty good for a Greyhawk.

I was just at my dealer on Saturday and we went in all the other floorplans - every sticker was within the 1200-1700 pound range for cargo except for the 26Y which had 2400 and change. I really like the 31DS, but it checked in at 1600 and change for cargo.

When I packed my rig to go from NJ to Disney, I took it over the scales and had only 300 pounds leftover. 2100 - 300 = 1800 pounds. If I had a rig w/ only 1600 pounds I would've been heavier then the chassis is certified for.

I always feel most comfortable when I'm within the capacities of the rig. Its the primary reason my next rig will be a Precept or something similar. I'd rather roll down the road w/ 2k pounds of extra unused capacity then be right at or over the limits of my coach. That's just me though - others do not feel the same.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

We are ordering the two A/C option. We live in the gulfcoast area and NEED 2 A/C's.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #10

Love our 2016 MV....except the rear slideout has quit working, and the interior lights keep burning out....and the worn lumber and wood panel under the bed....poor design or craftsmanship. Hope these issues are remedied before the two year warranty is up.
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2005 Club Car
2011 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide
2023 Ford Explorer
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #11

Sure sorry for your troubles. I was under the impression that the Amish do it right. Hopefully, you get it all corrected.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
This is our first MH, after about two years of research, we picked this make and model. We got our 2017 29MV October 2016 and Love it! No issue to date. Choose for most of the same reasons MrJackSprat listed. We have 4,000 miles on it already camped about 40 nights in it over several camping trips. Boon-docking and full hookups, mostly with some combination of hookups. I like the few updates on the 2018 (slam latches on exterior storage doors, Garmain in dash) and would opt for those if I was in the market for a new one.
Mods we'd made, LED lights on the outside, Max Air vents on both roof vents, new Shower head, cleats under bathroom mirrors to keep from sagging (fixed on 2018 model), Screen door handle knob, Velcro screen added to exit window in bedroom, new mattress on main bed, carrying a 30 gallon water bladder in the toad for addition water when boon-docking.
Future mods:
We are looking at AGM battery and adding additional for house batteries and solar panels.
Living with the Girrad water heater for now, its great when you have full hook ups. But as we do more boon-docking will probably look at switching it out, maybe with a Truma unit.
The Steering stabilizer could use some beefing up, may look into that. It does tend to get pushed / pulled when a semi passed you on the highway.

Overall I think you will love the floor plan of the 29MV and the quality of the Jayco product.
Hi! I too own a 2017 29MV. You mentioned that you replaced the mattress...which one did you get?
Thank you in advance!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

We pick up our 2018 29MV on Monday and can't wait! A few of the features that sealed the deal for us were:

• MCD duo shades throughout
  • Two AC units
  • Split bathroom floor plan
  • Walk around bed placement
  • Full size wardrobes - no sideways hanging of clothes
  • Tons of storage
  • Four door double fridge/freezer
When we pick it up, I'm sure I'll have more to add to this list.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

CA-Texas: could you please share the OCC? I like the layout and how yours is equipped. Thank you in advance
DB Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Family View Post
CA-Texas: could you please share the OCC? I like the layout and how yours is equipped. Thank you in advance
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...n-29mv-tr33584

https://www.jayco.com/files/download...hure_LoRes.pdf
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #16

Nowhere can I find the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and that scares the hell out of me. It may be at the max with all the options.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Nowhere can I find the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) and that scares the hell out of me. It may be at the max with all the options.
If I remember correctly, the 29MV that we looked at on the dealers lot was around 1,600 pounds.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
If I remember correctly, the 29MV that we looked at on the dealers lot was around 1,600 pounds.
I wonder what options were included. ? Hydraulic leveling.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
I wonder what options were included. ? Hydraulic leveling.
If I remember correctly, it did have the jacks, it did not have the entertainment center, it had the standard refer/freezer, and only one a/c unit.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
we're in a 31FK and the CCC isn't much.
Add the people, the water and some saltine crackers and you're maxed.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote