Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2023, 06:29 AM   #1

Weather stripping door for a quieter ride

Wanting to minimize the wind-sucking noise during travel coming from around the door. Anyone find a way to do so?
Jayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #2

Going to look into this myself shortly. I have a trip coming up and this is one of my punch list items. along with the rattling of the screen door. The latches don't work well if the door is adjusted so it fits tighter, so my thoughts were to perhaps install a taller softer gasket? I will post when I have something to share.... 2020 31F
Yackobeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackobeen View Post
Going to look into this myself shortly. I have a trip coming up and this is one of my punch list items. along with the rattling of the screen door. The latches don't work well if the door is adjusted so it fits tighter, so my thoughts were to perhaps install a taller softer gasket? I will post when I have something to share.... 2020 31F
I have the same issue with the latch not engaging fully. I have to slam it shut so I can use the deadbolt. The strike on the frame only adjusts up and down, not in and out. I would be curious to see what you find. I have the 2021 30F Redhawk.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #4

You can purchase a large package of those round, felt type chair leg pads (keeps floors from getting scratched up) that come in multiple sizes per pack. I've used those on screen door, cabinet doors where they contact the surfaces around them and bathroom doors, etc., to keep rattles at bay.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:39 AM   #5

Thanks Yes, once I dig in I will post a fix. I have an "RV Lock" electronic lock which is a whole other topic... It wants to lock you out! fixing that too.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #6

That is a good Idea, I was thinking something similar like the little adhesive rubber bumpers like on the bottom of your VCR... LOL I Know....
I like your felt idea better!
Old 03-29-2023, 10:01 AM   #7

You guy’s might want to try “ STEELE RUBBER Products “. I would have posted the link but I can’t figure out how to do it. They have a RV section. I have used there weatherstripping in the automotive world for years. Quality products.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackobeen View Post
That is a good Idea, I was thinking something similar like the little adhesive rubber bumpers like on the bottom of your VCR... LOL I Know....
I like your felt idea better!
They work great. For those areas the felt may be a bit too stiff...you can take a knife tip and gently rough it up a bit to make it a little softer and give it a tad more cushion...the rubber stops won't do that. They also soften up door and drawer closings for those who just can't be gentle.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:06 PM   #9

Weather stripping.

I installed this after cleaning off all sticky residue from previous…
From Amazon
Foam Insulation Tape, Weather Stripping Door Seal Strip for Doors and Windows,Sliding Door,Sound Proof Soundproofing Door Seal,Weatherstrip,Air Conditioning Seal Strip (1/2In x 1/4In x 33Ft)
Old 03-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
You guy’s might want to try “ STEELE RUBBER Products “. I would have posted the link but I can’t figure out how to do it. They have a RV section. I have used there weatherstripping in the automotive world for years. Quality products.
I can help with that.

https://www.steelerubber.com/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:38 AM   #11

Personally I found the wind noise is more related to the air rushing over the retracted awning arms while traveling than from the door seal.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:16 PM   #12
CAG

I found the problem with mine was a simple as adjusting the striker plate. That stopped the rattling and wind noise.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #13

I used the little clear bump stops that you use on kitchen drawers that you can get from home depot.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I have the same issue with the latch not engaging fully. I have to slam it shut so I can use the deadbolt. The strike on the frame only adjusts up and down, not in and out. I would be curious to see what you find. I have the 2021 30F Redhawk.
I had to remove the plastic insert in the doorframe where the deadbolt goes into in order to for my deadbolt to be easily usable.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfun View Post
Wanting to minimize the wind-sucking noise during travel coming from around the door. Anyone find a way to do so?
I had the same problem. I went to Home Depot and found some adhesive back rubber seal that was the perfect size to fit the metal frame, then I placed it around the entire door frame. I trimmed it a little to go around the door latch area. Worked like a charm. It may require a little more pressure to close the door, but it is well worth it.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfun View Post
I had the same problem. I solved it by putting D channel stripping around the entire door frame. At first the door was hard to close and latch, but the stripping will compress over time. this is a link to the product i used.

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Un...%2C1215&sr=8-6
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door frame, door problem, doors