Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #1

Weboost power supply

We are installing a Weboost Inreach cell booster in our GH 29mv. I'm hoping to convert from the 110v AC power to a direct 12v DC input and have ordered the 12v hardwire power supply. Using the 110v involves running an extension cord from the from front and leaving the inverter on.

Has anyone found a convenient place to tap into the 12v system? We're running the antenna on the kitchen (passenger side) to avoid wiring into the slide outs. I think the logical place to connect would be through the wiring to the overcounter lights.

But I also wondered if it might be practical to use a small 12 volt battery to provide a power source, coupled with a switch to turn it off when not in use. The advantage would be that it doesn't drain from the house battery and could be used right in the compartment where the booster is installed. Some small dry cells are listed as 7ah, but I don't know how long that would last when powering the booster. Another alternative might be to use a small motorcycle battery and just periodically re-charge it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

If I recall correctly I think there is 12V up in the cabinet above the door. Assuming you have one like mine.

Not sure though.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

I'd look there except we don't even have a cabinet above the door.

To the right of the door are a whole slew of electronics, but I don't see any way to access that compartment from inside the cabinet for even from the outside.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
RPR

Have you thought about using a UPS with 12 volt output if you are only turning the booster on when using it. You can move booster around if needed. Plug UPS into AC when battery needs charging.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

I added a couple of 12 volt power outlets to my Greyhawk with no problem. Just go to any area that has control switches and you should be able to locate a power and ground wire. You just have to poke around with a voltmeter.

I added one of the outlets in an area near some overhead lights that were under an overhang. I just popped out the light fixture to locate the wires and then popped out the switch. I pulled the positive 12 volts from the switch and the ground connection from the ground wire on the light.

Most switches will have 12 volts feeding them but there will be no ground there. You have to hunt for that.

A voltmeter will be your friend!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Have you thought about using a UPS with 12 volt output if you are only turning the booster on when using it. You can move booster around if needed. Plug UPS into AC when battery needs charging.
I hadn't thought about that but isn't a UPS power supply just a rechargeable battery of short duration? I thought they were just to allow you to shutdown systems in the event of power failure. I'll look into that, though. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I added a couple of 12 volt power outlets to my Greyhawk with no problem. Just go to any area that has control switches and you should be able to locate a power and ground wire. You just have to poke around with a voltmeter.

I added one of the outlets in an area near some overhead lights that were under an overhang. I just popped out the light fixture to locate the wires and then popped out the switch. I pulled the positive 12 volts from the switch and the ground connection from the ground wire on the light.

Most switches will have 12 volts feeding them but there will be no ground there. You have to hunt for that.

That's basically what I started to do before I also started to try to outthink myself . . .
Old 04-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

I will be hunting later today for a 12 volt source behind my control panel. I am adding an RF switch to my inverter control switch so I can turn off the inverter from my bedroom without having to get out of bed. I sometimes watch TV while in bed and want to be able to do so while on inverter without having to go up front to turn off the switch.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

I ran my amp up into the kitchen cabinet next to the 'fridge. I found 12V supply behind the fridge access panel and fished wires down to tap into the 12V.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Then I've got lots of friends.

I think I have 5 voltmeters now, all of them give slightly different readings, although the average is probably fairly accurate. My most reliable one is one I bought almost 25 years ago from Radio Shack. I wish I had bought a six pack . . .

The accuracy isn't critical when identifying circuits, but when the voltage reading is a critical parameter you do need something that's reliable.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #10

You've got 12 volt behind the fridge or at the antenna booster too.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You've got 12 volt behind the fridge or at the antenna booster too.
How do I get to that?

(I'm new at this.)
Old 04-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbahn View Post
How do I get to that?

(I'm new at this.)

This is what I meant by my post too. Pop the fridge grill off the outside. Poke around w/ your voltmeter and you'll find 12V.

I tapped into those and then fished wires up the fridge chase and drilled a hole from an adjacent cabinet into the chase.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
This is what I meant by my post too. Pop the fridge grill off the outside. Poke around w/ your voltmeter and you'll find 12V.

I tapped into those and then fished wires up the fridge chase and drilled a hole from an adjacent cabinet into the chase.
It should be the red and white wire going to fridge control board.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It should be the red and white wire going to fridge control board.

Thanks, I couldn't remember.

I did wire those into a terminal block attached to the wood. Then wired in a fuse and ran the wires from the block.

When I came back and added in some ventilation fans, it was nice to have a 12V source ready to go (off the terminal block.)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #15

So, just to complete this thread, I finally got the 12v hardwire from Weboost (it was something of a shipping disaster on their part) connected it via access through the back of the refrigerator, added an on/off switch then ran the wires through the cabinet to the left of the microwave, mounting the booster on the rear cabinet wall.

I'm really pleased with the set-up and it makes a big difference in reception. I have a Jetpack which I just place in the cabinet next to the internal antenna and it provides wi fi throughout the MH.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #16

Actually, one more step to complete this WeBoost thread. After finding out from friends following us on the road that the antenna was flapping violently in the wind and then finding the antenna housing cracked, I rigged up a movable antenna mount on the top of the rear ladder. Spent about $12 on an adjustable nylon mount and about the same amount for PVC pipe, clamps, and a home-made adapter to attach to the 1" thread. The forward located and notched PVC pipe holds the antenna very securely in the stored position. It takes just a few seconds to raise it and lock it in place.

No more hitting branches with the thing, either.
Attached Thumbnails
WeBoost up.jpg   WeBoost down.jpg  
Old 07-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #17

That's a good idea. I pulled mine off the back of the ladder. Then I bought the same mount that Brian (RV with Tito) used. But I haven't put it back yet since I wasn't sure how I was going to mount it to my roof.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #18

I just ordered the Weboost Reach.

The DC hardwired power supplies are out of stock but I guess I can just find a match online once I see the input from the 12V converter.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to putting the outdoor antenna on an extendable pole to get even better reception?
wasitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasitim View Post
Does anyone know if there is any benefit to putting the outdoor antenna on an extendable pole to get even better reception?

Yes. The higher up you can go, over obstacles, the better.

The long answer is, of course, "it depends". If the cell signal can already hit your coach, then raising the antenna won't help much. If you really want to "reach out and touch someone", then you'd put it up a pole and swap the omni antenna for their directional one.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasitim View Post
The DC hardwired power supplies are out of stock but I guess I can just find a match online once I see the input from the 12V converter.

For this, if you go to their website and put in your package you ordered, scroll down and you'll see all of the individual components in the box. From there you can find the model/SKU of the power supply and look >that< up for specs on their website.

Should that fail -- call 'em. Or email 'em.
They have EXCELLENT tech support. Every time I've asked their engineers a question, I've gotten a thoughtful and complete answer.