Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #1

Weird breaker tripping in Redhawk

So we are back on the road after a summer break, heading south. DW decided she doesn’t want to use LP on the fridge anymore after reading and watching YouTube fires from fridges. So instead of getting into “it” with her, I said yes dear whatever you want! (not worth the argument, guess I’m getting smarter after 35 years of marriage!) anyhoo, 2 days running fridge on generator, No Problems, then yesterday while on the road for an hour, I get a notification That my outdoor Wi-Fi cameras are out. Knowing all too well those only run off 120V, I knew we lost power to that circuit, (outdoor kitchen outlet and fridge) outlet.

When we pulled over for lunch, I unplugged the fridge switched to LP, off we went and and poof! Breaker tripped again after 20 min. Once at the RV park nothing trips. (And this is my breaker in my panel, not the generator breaker). I know I need to go through each outlet and see what’s on that breaker and start there. But has this happened to anyone before?

2019 Redhawk 25R
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #2

I have a 2018 Greyhawk,,I always check my GFI receptacles first when I have any type 120 volt problems. Just my way , hopes this helps…
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks Ranger, but it’s not a GFI is the breaker itself. The GFI doesn’t pop when this happens.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #4

Maybe the breaker needs to be replaced?
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #5

Your breaker is tripping while your moving, but not while you're stopped. Maybe the motion is causing a short somewhere.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #6

I’ll check each outlets connection, then tighten all the lugs in the panel. If this doesn’t fix it, I’ll start by unplugging each load on an outlet one at a time. Maybe something plugged in is drawing too much. Then as a last attempt I’ll replace the breaker.

I’ve had the generator running while driving in the past without this issue. I’ve added 2 devices since then, a battery backup that runs my interior camera and WiFi, and a digital AC meter, that’s plugged in so I can always see my voltage. Either one could be an issue. Another thought I have is a combination of the above coupled with The generator, that can somehow be surging power to one of these devices, causing the breaker to sence too much of a draw.

Does any of this sound plausible?
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

As mentioned before, since the fault occurs during movement it may be an intermittent short. I noticed that on my little trailer Jayco ran wires through raw holes drilled in metal. Not once but every time!. When I have found them I have put in grommets or at least wrapped the wire in layers of tape to prevent rub through. If you can, try looking for this potential short and be glad the breaker blows instead of electrocution.
Stay safe!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #8

Intermittent issues can be the hardest items to diagnose. RVs are rolling earthquakes. My 1st suspicion is a loose wire. However, that usually results in either a "open" (think of a light switch when turned off), and not a blown breaker. Or high resistance, and the wire insulation overheats and starts to melt, a circuit breaker can pop.

Loose lugs are common, so I would start at the main utility panel. Make sure you are 100% disconnected both AC and DC. Pull the utility panel and check each terminal lug for tightness. Check all of them while you are in there, do not forget to check the grounds too.

If it is not a loose terminal, it could be a number of things. From a loose wire at an outlet (really doubt it, back to being an open circuit), a chaffed wire, or an item that is plugged into an outlet.

If you are traveling again in a day or so, can you unplug any items that are not absolutely necessary? Including the outside frig. If it trips with only the main frig, it could be the frig or a short some were in the wiring. Checking each outlet connection is next. Lastly tracing the wire to see if there is some chaffing (potentially the most difficult task).

I would also check your auto transfer switch for loose wires while you are at it. There has been lots of burnt auto transfer switches.

Good Luck, safe travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

Thanks Roger, thanks Jagiven. I really hope it’s not a shorted out wire through a hole.

I am still traveling south. In KY for 3 nights then off to TN. I also have bad grey tank sensors but I’ll get that straightened out when we leave I’ll throw in some tank cleaner.

Would like more input, update sure to follow soon.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #10

OP here, I happen to have a saved email from jayco with my build sheet wire schematics, but it’s mostly 12V, because that’s what I asked for when I was trying to add a 3rd WP switch. I can’t really find anything that shows AC circuit loads, does anyone have one ? Basically looking for what’s running off the fridge circuit, (the outlet accessible from outside, behind the fridge).
Old 10-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

One option is to turn off all of the circuit breakers except for the one that allows the fridge to operate, then use your voltage meter on all of the other outlets and see which ones still have power to them (or 120v appliances that are operational).

or... if you are in the mood to purchase a tool, something like this could be your friend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ET403A...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 10-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #12

On a different thought, check out some food poisonings youtubes and share them with your DW and in particular any that explain how if the food gets above 40f that the likelihood of food poisoning is very high. Also, while you are ordering the electrical tool mentioned above that you will also order a larger fire extinguisher and keep it handy while travelling and will also add a smoke detector right above the fridge, and then remind her that if anything did happen then that event would help us make the decision to go ahead and get a super c, so all is good.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
One option is to turn off all of the circuit breakers except for the one that allows the fridge to operate, then use your voltage meter on all of the other outlets and see which ones still have power to them (or 120v appliances that are operational).

or... if you are in the mood to purchase a tool, something like this could be your friend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ET403A...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Being on the road, and probably do not have any test equipment. Use some small electrical device. Nightlight, hair dryer, small fan.

I carry an outlet electrical tester with an integrated GFCI tester

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bende...%2C193&sr=8-12

I do not know your MH. Is it a 30 or 50 amp unit? I suspect 30 amp. If so, almost every outlet is on the same circuit. Breaker to the GFCI outlet (usually in the bathroom), then branches off to all the other outlets throughout the unit. Hard to say how they daisy chained it. My experience, one wire in, one wire out. Never seen more than two wires at any outlet.

Exceptions; AC and microwave are not on a GFCI circuit.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #14

Thanks Craig and Jagiven. I have a multi meter and some electrical testing gear. I’m thinking when it trips I could just see what outlets are out on that breaker. But having that tool would be nice Craig.

We are in KY headed to TN tomorrow, my rig is 30amp Jagiven. I’ll try to find the time to start looking at this. My wife’s ok with LP for now, she has no choice! Lol. I do have an outdoor mini fridge in my outdoor kitchen, but I’m guessing it’s also on the same breaker. I have plenty ideas to tackle this and a bunch of work-around in my head if necessary. My motto is; “if it doesn’t stop you from RVing, don’t sweat it”!

I’ll check back in when I have taken a long look at this or if I have any more questions. Please keep your ideas coming!
Old 10-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My motto is; “if it doesn’t stop you from RVing, don’t sweat it”!
Excellent motto! Kinda the reason we do not have a cabin. Dont want to fix or maintain it every time we visit it. The tt can be fixed at home at home.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #16

Update; I just ran my generator while driving for 4 1/2 hours with my WiFi router’s battery backup/surge protector, unplugged from the outlet inside my wardrobe closet. (This is the same outlet that The factory had just the TV Plugged into). I had to have the UPS plugged, not just turned off, because even when this device is turned off, it still trickle chargers the backup battery.. it Did not trip once! The fridge stayed on.

I’m not considering this issue resolved just yet. We are moving in four more days, then I’m going to try it again. So far that seems to be the culprit, unless this problem is intermittent.

Jayco also gave me the schematic. It states that breaker supplies the refrigerator outlet, radio, LP detector, slide out switch, and water pump. No mention of the three other outlets that are on it! Go figure?

I’ll keep y’all posted.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #17

We have a 2021 Jayco grey hawk. While on a trip recently our rear roof air conditioner kept cutting on and off at wired times. I thought at first it was the thermostat. After doing some checking I traced the problem to the breaker box. The breaker for the air conditioner seemed to be operating properly. As soon as I installed the outer cover on the box the air conditioner went off. When I took the cover off, the AC came back on. To make a long story a little shorter it turned out that when I wiggled the breaker the AC went off and on. I took the breaker out and where it locks onto the hot bar was burned. I found out the breaker was loose and loosing contact with the bar. It got real hot too. Luckily it didn’t start a fire. I made a trip to the local Home Depot and got an exact replacement and everything works fine. You might check and see if any of your breakers are loose.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
We have a 2021 Jayco grey hawk. While on a trip recently our rear roof air conditioner kept cutting on and off at wired times. I thought at first it was the thermostat. After doing some checking I traced the problem to the breaker box. The breaker for the air conditioner seemed to be operating properly. As soon as I installed the outer cover on the box the air conditioner went off. When I took the cover off, the AC came back on. To make a long story a little shorter it turned out that when I wiggled the breaker the AC went off and on. I took the breaker out and where it locks onto the hot bar was burned. I found out the breaker was loose and loosing contact with the bar. It got real hot too. Luckily it didn’t start a fire. I made a trip to the local Home Depot and got an exact replacement and everything works fine. You might check and see if any of your breakers are loose.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check mine in the morning. It tripped again today. I shut off my hot water heater and it stopped but I think it might be a coincidence because it’s not listed on that breaker, but then again neither is half the stuff on it!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #19

my 2021 Redhawk had a breaker failure and melted the plastic breaker box, about caught on fire. New coach on first major run, after 2 shake down outings, across country from west coast. breaker for A/C loose causing over heating at breaker box. .. was only drawing 13A on a 30A circuit. Other breakers were loose as well. Under warranty, took them 2 months to repair. to be fair there were 5 other items that needed attention however all were very minor.
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:51 AM   #20

Might be a good time to relighted all the wire connections in the breaker panel. They get loose over time, if they were tight to start with.