Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #1

Weird oily substance leak?

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed recently a weird oily substance like "leak" or condensation underneath the oven in my 2022- 29MV. At first I thought it was substance from dehumidifier bag as it had a small leak in it. I had it hanging up above the stove during storage, which we only store for about a week out of the month.

Anyway, after that minor cleanup, I noticed on the vent underneath the oven this oily like condensation. I'm pulling off that vent to take a closer look tomorrow, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience?
2022 Greyhawk 29MV
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

WillieTrippinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:00 PM   #2

I'd need more details on the substance:
Color?
any smell?
What side of the oven does it seem to be coming from? what's on that side? (maybe something from fridge is leaking but coming out at the oven, for instance)
Old 06-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post
I'd need more details on the substance:
Color?
any smell?
What side of the oven does it seem to be coming from? what's on that side? (maybe something from fridge is leaking but coming out at the oven, for instance)
Yeah it was on the left side of the oven. After a closer look I think it was coming from the dehumidifier bag I had hanging above the stove and the leak pinhole leak in the bottom of the bag. The drip had run down on the stove and side of oven and then collected on the vent.

It was just really odd as I thought that the moisture pulled in from the bag would be water like a regular dehumidifier but I guess because of how the bag pulls the moisture out of the air it creates a waxy/oily like substance.
2022 Greyhawk 29MV
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

WillieTrippinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieTrippinRV View Post
Yeah it was on the left side of the oven. After a closer look I think it was coming from the dehumidifier bag I had hanging above the stove and the leak pinhole leak in the bottom of the bag. The drip had run down on the stove and side of oven and then collected on the vent.

It was just really odd as I thought that the moisture pulled in from the bag would be water like a regular dehumidifier but I guess because of how the bag pulls the moisture out of the air it creates a waxy/oily like substance.

Calcium Chloride is hygroscopic (absorbs water).
Likely your bag is saturated.

From the web-

The calcium chloride crystals in DampRid absorb moisture and aid in dehumidifying the area. Consumer Reports indicates that while the product does reduce moisture in the air, it is a slower process than with electric dehumidifiers. The calcium chloride can absorb up to several times its own weight in water. It will liquefy as it absorbs and is not reusable.

Exposure

The calcium chloride in DampRid is considered a hazardous material by OSHA. Use care when handling this product. Exposure may result in nausea or irritation. Avoid direct skin contact with the product. If you experience skin contact, wash the area with soap and water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention. Do not ingest or inhale the product. If you inhale DampRid, move to an area with fresh air and seek medical attention if you feel ill. If you ingest the product, seek immediate medical attention. If the DampRid touches your eyes, flush them with clear water and seek medical help.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote