Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Weird Water Pump Behavior?

Last night, I went to put some water in my fresh tank and something weird happened. I had the water pump turned on, and the manifold was switched to "normal". I connected my water hose and then turned the manifold to "city fill", and the water pump started pumping? I turned on the water at the spigot so the fresh tank would fill, and the pump continued running? I went inside and checked for any open spigots and found none, the outside shower was right above my head, so I know it was off.

So, where was the pump pumping water to/from?

I've been thinking about it, and the only thing I could come up with is that perhaps when I turned the valves to "city fill", the system lost pressure? And the pump was trying then to pressurize my city hose? But then why would it continue to run while I was filling the tank?

I don't know... a real mystery... ideas?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-1997 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Toad)
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Soon to be Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

Our Seneca does the same thing... I'm tuning into this thread... since I have not figured it out yet either.

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

The water pump in my Greyhawk just did the same thing. I went inside and turned the pump off.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
The water pump in my Greyhawk just did the same thing. I went inside and turned the pump off.
Whe would it be on if you are on city water (normal)?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Whe would it be on if you are on city water (normal)?
The "normal" position on the manifold is for running off the on-board fresh tank using the pump. There is also a "City Fill" position which is when you want to use the "city" water pressure to fill the fresh tank (this is what I was doing, and I was doing it because I wanted to use that hose for something else). Then there is "City fixtures" which is when you want to run just off city water, and "Country fill" when you want the pump to actually pull water INTO the fresh tank from a hose on your water inlet.

I was in the "city fill" position putting water into my fresh tank, and I just can't figure out why the pump would run.

I'm glad that at least I'm not the only one though!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-1997 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Toad)
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Soon to be Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

Ok on my 2016 31ul there are 2 valves that must turned for whatever you want to do. Don't know if you have that type of manifold.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #7

Bob, being new to the Jayco Greyhawk I had the same experience a few weeks ago. I posted something about this on the forum because I wasnít sure if I was reading the manifold plate correctly. At the time I quickly ran into the coach to turn off the pump. Like you I had no idea where the water may be pumping to. I wish they would have put a second switch next to the manifold controls. That would make more sense than running back into the coach.
Hope you find a solution. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #8

on the greyhawk 30x there is a secondary water pump switch on the manifold. Did you by chance bump that not realizing it when connecting the hose? The pump will run regardless of the manifold settings. The other switch is on the main information panel. I can turn either one on. the switches are not on or off. it depends on the position of the other switch (if that makes sense).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0315.jpg  
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

JPhealy the 2016 Greyhawk 29MV does not have that additional switch.
I wish it did. My previous coach had a switch at every water source. You could control it from any one of four locations. Not so on this model class c.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The "normal" position on the manifold is for running off the on-board fresh tank using the pump. There is also a "City Fill" position which is when you want to use the "city" water pressure to fill the fresh tank (this is what I was doing, and I was doing it because I wanted to use that hose for something else). Then there is "City fixtures" which is when you want to run just off city water, and "Country fill" when you want the pump to actually pull water INTO the fresh tank from a hose on your water inlet.

I was in the "city fill" position putting water into my fresh tank, and I just can't figure out why the pump would run.

I'm glad that at least I'm not the only one though!
You are completely correct. Brain fart on my part about the terminology. Question still remains, the pump does not need to be on during this operation unless you are in the country fill mode. That's why it was running.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote