Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wducat View Post
I have this issue on my Seneca. On the Seneca, there are 3 overflow tubes right next to each other. Jayco has recommended that I add a 45 degree to one of them, and route a tube from that to the top of the compartment, letting the other two do the overflow work. The theory is that a siphon is being created, and routing one hose high will break the siphon. Have not tried it yet, but it is the official recommended fix I got from them when I inquired.
We did the same with our Seneca and it seems to be the quick fix, cheap, solution.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #22

So on a rig with a gravity fill port ( and that associated vent) it would probably be fine to plug all the underneath vents?

Where I fill my trailer, it's quite level, but where I park to load it, it's VERy unlevel. I cal loose 1/2 the tank if I don't put the trailer up on blocks, but that's a pain. Plugging these vents would help a lot.

I'm forgetful, so I have been hesitant to install a valve that I need to turn all the time. I just know I'd forgot at least once. But if it doesn't matter on my particular trailer......
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #23

I would send a note to Jayco customer support, give them your model info, and ask if there is a recommended fix. That is what I did, and they send me an actual document with pictures of the recommended fix. They were very timely in responding as well.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #24

I did the Jayco quick fix on my 2018.5 Seneca with the 45 degree bend and it did nothing at all. The tank still leaked out the over flow when traveling around corners. The water tank would always loose about 1/4 with or without the Jayco solution. Put some ball valves on the over flow lines in the storage compartment and open them when filling close them when traveling and open them when drawing water out when camping. Done deal..... You would think Jayco would have already had a solution before selling these motorhomes.
Hahndavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahndavid1 View Post
You would think Jayco would have already had a solution before selling these motorhomes.
Having a bad time of it it seems with your new Seneca. Hope things work out and you can enjoy your time with it real soon. Someone will always have the unfortunate experience of making the rig right the first time so the subsequent owner doesn’t have to.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #26

It took me 2 years to get the kinks worked out of our 2016 Seneca, but now we are pretty happy with it. Just turned 53K miles, but not sure I would want to start over with a new one
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #27

Yes I worked and saved a long time to buy a Seneca. It has been very disappointing to see all the pour quality of the craftsman ship. But over all I love how it drives, high payload and the brute strength of the chassis. I know once I get all the little stuff fixed it will be good to good. Just hard to dump 175k into something and spend so much time repairing stuff that should have been done at the assembly line.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #28

I feel your pain, and could not agree more. Based on a number of forum comments, I was starting to think that maybe QC was starting to get done right finally, but it sounds like you are going through the same pain with a 2018 that I did on my 2016. It is a shame really, because some rather simple management enforced policies & procedures could make a world of difference. Jayco is really squandering a golden opportunity to redefine it's self with the Seneca IMHO.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wducat View Post
Jayco is really squandering a golden opportunity to redefine it's self with the Seneca IMHO.
Don't think they have any aspirations to offer or ante up the Dynamax or Nexus experience. They're happy we're they are and folks keep buying their offering and letting the dealer network manage all the customer grief. Until sales significantly dive, they'll continue rooster cruising their Seneca assembly line and blowing QC off to the side.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #30

Siphon

I picked up this thread and had to jump in on a couple issues and a question. First time backing out my new 2018.5 37K on an incline at my home all of a sudden water is running everywhere. I crawl underneath and three lines are all running water. I'm thinking what the hell. Finally figure its overflow lines from the water tank. Did notice later on the trip that water seemed low even considering the overflow on the incline. So maybe I am a dullard but everyone is saying siphon and I'm thinking is this just "spill over" or really a siphon which would require that the overflow line is down into the water with a continuous "no air gap" supply of water.
So are you guys experiencing true siphoning?
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #31

No I didn’t experience siphoning, what I experienced was water running out the 3 over flow hoses coming out the top of the tank , when I would park on a hill or go around a corner. I did the Jayco repair that jayco emailed me. They sent me a picture of the 3 hoses coming out the top of the tank and to install a 45 degree bend on one of them and run the hose up as high as the floor above it will allow. Jayco’s fix will stop any siphoning but it does not stop the water running out when on a hill or driving around a corner. So I installed ball valves.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I too struggled with comprehending how it could be actually "siphoning" when there isn't a physical pickup tube extending down into the tank. But I did a test where I removed the compartment panel where I could see the water tank side and top. In my TS that is the passenger side, second compartment from the rear.

If I filled my tank using my home's spigot (about 55 psi) I could watch the water level rise until the tank would overflow. At that time the top of the tank expanded upwards, could not really tell if it was trapped air or actually just that full. I suspect a mix. Then I would shut off the incoming water and the overflowing would continue. After a bit I could see the top of the tank actually collapsing downward until at some point the "suction" would be overcome by the rigidity of the tank. It would even pop back up then and "inhale" some air and the tank would again resemble its resting rectangular state. But about 1/4 of what would look like a "full" tank level through the translucent tank end is gone! I did not realize before then that the poly water tank could be as flexible as it apparently is.

But now with my vent manifold installed it does not drop very much after I shut the fill water off and I arrive at my destination with the vast majority of what I departed with. That was not the case before!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #33
Site Team

It seems to me that CW has the Class A and C market sewed up. There are a few small Mom and POP dealers that sell towables in my area but CW has the MH market around here.

It's sad.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
I picked up this thread and had to jump in on a couple issues and a question. First time backing out my new 2018.5 37K on an incline at my home all of a sudden water is running everywhere. I crawl underneath and three lines are all running water. I'm thinking what the hell. Finally figure its overflow lines from the water tank. Did notice later on the trip that water seemed low even considering the overflow on the incline. So maybe I am a dullard but everyone is saying siphon and I'm thinking is this just "spill over" or really a siphon which would require that the overflow line is down into the water with a continuous "no air gap" supply of water.
I think both can happen, but in my current rig, I'm pretty sure it's spillover.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote