Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

What are those solar prep wires

Hi,
I got a chance to open the "solar prep" box in Entegra coach Odyssey ( almost the same as Jayco redhawk) and there are 3 groups of wires there:
1, White & Black;
2, White & Black with red type;
3, Red and White;

Does anyone know what are they?
I know they must be 1 group wire from MC4 entry plate on roof, maybe another pair of wire to battery? What is the 3rd pair of wire for?

Thank you!
-Ky
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6641.jpg  
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuan View Post
I know they must be 1 group wire from MC4 entry plate on roof, maybe another pair of wire to battery? What is the 3rd pair of wire for?
Well, I don't have the latest Jayco schematic and they have changed their solar prep wiring several times in the last few years. So I suggest you test my guess by finding the wires and checking with an ohm meter to be sure its right. But, based on the schematic I do have, I'm guessing that the red and white pair go to the roof gland, the red taped pair go to the house battery (or a CB near it) and the black and white without tape go to the chassis battery.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
Well, I don't have the latest Jayco schematic and they have changed their solar prep wiring several times in the last few years. So I suggest you test my guess by finding the wires and checking with an ohm meter to be sure its right. But, based on the schematic I do have, I'm guessing that the red and white pair go to the roof gland, the red taped pair go to the house battery (or a CB near it) and the black and white without tape go to the chassis battery.
Thank you so much dvspl! Will check with multimeter.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you so much dvspl! Will check with multimeter.
Report back to this forum and hope it will help anyone.

3 groups of wire
While + Black : Seems not connect to anything;
While + Black + red strip: Seems not connect to anything;
Red + White: Red marked with + and white marked with -; Put a 1.5v AA battery through roof solar prep and red / white measured as 1.612v so I think this is the connection to root solar prep box.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #5

Wiring diagram attached. According to this schematic, the black/white pair go to the chassis battery. The red taped pair is for the house battery and the third pair leads to the roof. This is so you can use a SCC to charge both house and chassis batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solar Wiring.pdf (561.1 KB, 288 views)
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #6

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
Wiring diagram attached. According to this schematic, the black/white pair go to the chassis battery. The red taped pair is for the house battery and the third pair leads to the roof. This is so you can use a SCC to charge both house and chassis batteries.
Thank you this is helpful.
What I did is connect 1.5v Duracell battery to a cable to MC4 connector on roof and measure voltage with Fluke multi meter.

Red + White measured as -1.6v, I think somehow it is b/c I switched pos/neg but that's good enough to know Red/White IS connected to roof solar receptacle.

When I measure White + Black, key is in and turned dash on but engine not started, house battery is also on, LED light in RV lighted. Voltage between White + Black is open, between White + Black with red strip is also open so they are not connected to any batteries, I believe someone in Jayco may forgot to connect them to battery.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7150.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #7

I think you are to make the final connections when you hook up the solar. They just do you the courtesy of installing the wires to make it easier for you.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
I think you are to make the final connections when you hook up the solar. They just do you the courtesy of installing the wires to make it easier for you.
Thanks cpd1343! That make sense and I do recall I see two white cables left at house and chassis battery respectively.

Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks cpd1343! That make sense and I do recall I see two white cables left at house and chassis battery respectively.

Thanks again!
Did you install any solar yet? Trying to help a friend with his Redhawk 26B, and researching installs. From the diagram, it looks like 8AWG wire, so not going to handle much...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a 2021 Alante with a set of 'solar prep' wires that look like the ones described in the original post. Can you comment on how likely your attached wiring diagram is to apply to my Alante? Also, how did you get this? I'd love to get a full wiring diagram for my Alante.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaulsri View Post
Also, how did you get this? I'd love to get a full wiring diagram for my Alante.
Jayco has been very good at providing schematics or wiring diagrams upon request. Email them at motorizedservice@jayco.com and ask for what you want.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #12

i have 2021 entegra vision 27a. solar prep. the wires to chassis and house batteries are attached as white to neg on both batteries. the positive wires are safely attached to a ground terminal coveredwith a red rubber cover. the hunt for this info took several hours reading posts and just plain luck
traveler21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #13

I got the schematics fairly quickly from Jayco and installed my Victron solar controller where they come out in that front storage bay. The wires to the batteries have to be connected but they've run the wire.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #14

Are solar prep wires connected already to chassis battery and house batteries ,so wires in solar box need to be connected to controller ?????whit to neg and red to pos
Revray is offline   Reply With Quote