Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougk30 View Post
My suggestion is put it on a trailer you can tow anything anytime and not restricted to one vehicle. Plus the fact you can back it up.
It is true, you do have the advantage of being able to back up with a trailer. The problem lies with where to put the trailer when you are not using it. I have limited storage space where I live in the winter so no-go. Plus, when you camp in mostly SPs like we do, you have to find an extra parking space for the trailer, as a lot of SP campsites are too small to accomodate it on your campsite.
Finally, you better have a lot of towing capacity with your MH or a very light car, because a trailer will add weight to the tow.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
It is true, you do have the advantage of being able to back up with a trailer. The problem lies with where to put the trailer when you are not using it. I have limited storage space where I live in the winter so no-go. Plus, when you camp in mostly SPs like we do, you have to find an extra parking space for the trailer, as a lot of SP campsites are too small to accommodate it on your campsite.
Finally, you better have a lot of towing capacity with your MH or a very light car, because a trailer will add weight to the tow.
Agree - not sure the advantages of a trailer outweigh the drawbacks. We find easier to just hook up the vehicle and tow 4-down.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #43

We tow a 2008 Suzuki C50 Trike. Tows nicely and lots of fun unless its pouring rain...

Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #44

Nice set up Scratch.
How's the water level and flow on the Guad with all the rain?
TNortham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmdavis View Post
Just purchased a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to tow with our 31FS. Have ordered the BlueOx tow plates, tow bar and accessory kit to have installed the end of next week. Still trying to decide on the braking system, the dealer is recommending the BlueOx Patriot. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the BlueOx Patriot.
We have blue ox patriot. Worked for about 18 months. Internal battery is dead. Blue ox wants me to ship to them for replacement. Not a fan myself. But will sell you mine if you want it.
I am looking into other options.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #46

kpmdavis...
We have blue ox patriot. Worked for about 18 months. Internal battery is dead. Blue ox wants me to ship to them for replacement. Not a fan myself. But will sell you mine if you want it.
I am looking into other options.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNortham View Post
Nice set up Scratch.
How's the water level and flow on the Guad with all the rain?
We just came home from a three-week trip to a very soggy Texas. Our home is good, although folks up the road in San Marcos and Wimberley are hurting. The Blanco River is at record levels. Lots of RVers had their rigs damaged at Blanco and Bastrop SPs. The Guadalupe is OK as the Canyon Lake dam did its job. Lots of good white water rafting this summer. Canyon Lake is 15' above normal for the first time in 11 years. Lakes Travis, Buchanan and Medina received much need recharges, but are still more than 20' low. More rain in the forecast each day for the next week. El Nino has been a much bigger influence than predicted, and we're soaked, but the good news is that we are out of drought for the first time in 7 years... We're very thankful for that.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #48

Greyhawk Towing an Enclosed Trailer

We will be towing an enclosed trailer with or Greyhawk.

First trip out towing will be April 21, can't wait!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1931.jpg   IMG_1971.jpg  
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #49

Chevy Sonic

We are towing a 2015 Chevy Sonic. It has been a great option for us. It is an automatic and tows 4 down with only one minor modification. The towing specs call for you to remove a fuse each time you want to pull it to preserve the battery. We had the dealer add a charging line from the seven pin connector so now we can leave the fuse in.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #50

We just bought our Seneca, and haven't been out in it yet. But my toad is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I have towed it a short distance to check out the towing setup, lights, etc. Works great. Jeeps are made to be towed.

Mine is a manual trans. Transfer case in neutral, trans in any forward gear, key between lock and on to release the steering column. I added a light harness with diodes to ensure the Jeep obeys the motorhome lights, turn signals, and emerg flashers. Available from etrailer. I also installed a charge line to keep the battery charged, because I have an Even Brake system that applies the Jeep brakes, which requires a connection to the battery.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #51

We tow a 2007 Mini Cooper S convertible with a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly. If you have a front wheel drive vehicle a tow dolly is pretty simple with no modification to the car.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #52

I have. 2005 jeep unlimited that I would like to tow behind my 2016 Seneca. What brand or type of set up should I be looking for? The brackets that instal on the jeep are they do it yourself type of installation ?
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #53

We are setting up our 16 Grey Hawk 29MV in preparation to tow a '16 Subaru Forester (manual transmission). Hoping to visit Alaska in Late May/June. And possibly Moab, Zion, Yosemite, and other spots after Alaska. Wait and see .....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
I have. 2005 jeep unlimited that I would like to tow behind my 2016 Seneca. What brand or type of set up should I be looking for? The brackets that instal on the jeep are they do it yourself type of installation ?
If you would like to use tow bar brackets, any brand will do as long as 1) it matches your tow bar, and 2) the rating is at least the weight of the vehicle, preferably a bit more. Do not get any bracket which simply attaches to the stock factory front bumper with bolts. The factory bumper is just too flimsy. Get one which attaches directly to the frame.

You might also consider an auxiliary brake system, which will apply the Jeep brakes while in moderate deceleration with your foot on the brake, and which will bring the Jeep to a stop in case it breaks completely away from the tow vehicle. As unlikely as that may seem, it happens. And many states require it.

If you do that, you will need to account for the rear Jeep tail, turn signal, and emergency flasher lights, or add separate lights attached magnetically. I wired in a harness to ensure the motorhome light circuit drives the Jeep tail lights and turn signals, and also wired in a battery charge circuit with fuse and circuit breaker, so the motorhome alternator charges the Jeep battery while being towed. Bought nearly everything on Craigslist, so it was reasonable. With one notable exception, which was the wiring harness with diodes, which was purchased at etrailer.com.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #55

By the way, most frame mounted brackets can be installed at home if you have basic tools. You may need to drill into the frame and install bolts.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #56

X2 on installing yourself if you have the tools and skills, both the Roadmaster and Blue Ox brackets have very good installation instructions. I have done 5 installs myself over the years and all went very well.

I want to also chime in on the auxiliary braking system. Not only is it prudent, but in most states and provinces it is required due to the weight of most every vehicle suitable for towing. Most states don't differentiate between an actual trailer and a car in tow when it comes to brakes on the the "towed vehicle".

Many variations and opinions on which braking system is best. I use a Roadmaster EvenBrake and have been pleased with its performance. I swap it between my two toads depending on whether the grandkids are with us or not.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
X2 on installing yourself if you have the tools and skills, both the Roadmaster and Blue Ox brackets have very good installation instructions. I have done 5 installs myself over the years and all went very well.

I want to also chime in on the auxiliary braking system. Not only is it prudent, but in most states and provinces it is required due to the weight of most every vehicle suitable for towing. Most states don't differentiate between an actual trailer and a car in tow when it comes to brakes on the the "towed vehicle".

Many variations and opinions on which braking system is best. I use a Roadmaster EvenBrake and have been pleased with its performance. I swap it between my two toads depending on whether the grandkids are with us or not.
I also use the Even Brake. It has worked well so far, and warns if there is any problem. I am confident it will handle an emergency if that were to happen.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #58

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with the M & G Braking system. Since the Greyhawk does not have an onboard air compressor, Rhones Travel Trailers installed the available M&G air compressor for gas coaches.

Works great.

Jan, Al and the 2 pugs
2016 Greyhawk 29MV
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #59

Just did first 2,000 miles towing our Chevy 1 ton dually crew cab. That puts us at the maximum length of 65 feet. I did find that I felt more at ease of disconnecting before pulling into some camp spots considered pull throughs.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #60

Well, It's all done Blue Ox Tow Bar, Face Plate, towing wiring, Blue Ox Patriot Brake Box, all set up on a '16 Pearl White Subaru Forester. I think it's looks really nice as a package.

We plan of doing test towing tomorrow. But, our first real tow test is at the end of April headed to Kerrville, TX to meet up with friends.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote