Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2023, 01:49 PM   #1

What brake controller on TOAD?

What works & what to avoid; TOAD is 2013 CRV; Coach is 2020 RedHawk 24b
Thanks
HankZudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:22 PM   #2
CAG

There is so much information on this topic if you use the search feature at the top of the page. Also a Google search will bring you more info to research.

This was mine, For the simple reason that is not some clunky brake thingy between your seat and brake pedal or an add on to the pedal that you have to fiddle with with each trip. It is a "flip the switch and forget it".
https://www.amazon.com/SMI-9599006-S...s%2C194&sr=8-4

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #3

Just another data input for ya, Hank.

I have owned my RVi brake system for 8 years or so and towed my Kia Soul about 25K miles with zero issues. The only reason I chose it over others I looked at was that the response time is essentially zero; i.e., when you apply the motorhome brakes, the air-actuated cylinder in the RVi brake reacts almost instantly ......... I liked that feature for the emergency stop scenario. When I recently traded motorhomes I already had my toad braking system in hand ...... it doesn't care what is pulling the Kia, of course.

It takes me less than 5 minutes to set the brake up in the Kia and about 1 minute to remove and store it. The Demco mentioned above would be even better ......... like zero time. I am a DIYer so the RVi works for me. As mentioned, there are a LOT of systems available; I have never read a negative comment on any of them.

One tip: I did not believe the Kia was doing its share of the braking task so I "upped it" one notch (after consulting with the RVi tech support folks) and was pleased with the result. (That "customization" is likely a standard feature on all toad braking systems, I'd wager.)

https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibra...nt=RVi%20Brake

Good luck with your search and good times and safe travels to ya.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankZudd View Post
What works & what to avoid..........
We use a portable RVibrake 3 https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibra...mental%20Brake on our Chevy Equinox toad. Works well plus it has a monitor that you can allows you to see when the brakes are applied in the cockpit. We also have a permanently installed RVi towed battery charger https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...tery%20Charger installed in the toad's engine compartment.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #5

I went with the Demco Duo as CAG did, installed it myself, works great.
I added coachlink afterwards as to not watch the rear monitor( I like to know things like that are working)

Just hook up the toad and flip a switch. If you want to buy a different toad, it can be switched to another vehicle with a low priced kit.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #6

I tow a Smart Car on all fours and since the car is so light no brake controller is required. Never had a problem. That is one big advantage to having a Smart Car and was the main decision for getting one as a toad.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote