Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #41

Cruiser!

We tow a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Turbo in Magnesium Pearl with a manual trans behind our 2006 Greyhawk 27DS.

I actually bought the car first as a toad for whatever we ended up getting for a motorhome because it's one of the most flat-out towable cars ever. I tramped through many dealerships until I found him, and had to straight arm many salesmen who thought they new me better than I do.

I use a Brakemaster inertia system and ordered the base plat, tow bar, etc. from E-Trailer (best customer service ever and they have EVERYTHING!)

I plan to get a hitch from Etrailer for the cruiser so I can put the bike rack on it. I've installed those myself before - easy peasy.

Most of our friends and family went "You bought a WHAT?!?" Seems a lot of people just hate the Cruiser, but I love him, he beautimous and with the turbo a screaming fun time to drive! Almost too much so according to DH.

Haters gonna hate, but I love my little PT.

Sue
Patchworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
We had the transfer case in neutral and the gear shift in park. Followed directions in the manual to the letter.
Jeep must have put the speedometer cable on the output of the transfer case.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Towed our Jeep wrangler last weekend and it added miles to the odometer. We're getting conflicting answers as to whether it should or shouldn't tack on miles. Are we doing something wrong? Luckily it was only 30 miles.

Auto transmission key in Acc.
Don & Ellen,

I apologize for not seeing your post till just now. What model Jeep do you have? While I'm not 100% positive. I'm 99% certain miles are not added to odometer when we tow our Jeep. I base this 99% certainty on the fact that our miles on the jeep have not increased significantly even though we've had it in tow status quite often. I'll definitely put the eagle eye on our odometer on the next trip.

I hope you find the answer to this issue.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #44

Figured out I had the key turned to the wrong "Acc." We're currently in Smokies and towed the jeep here with no issues and the odometer did not rack up miles.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Figured out I had the key turned to the wrong "Acc." We're currently in Smokies and towed the jeep here with no issues and the odometer did not rack up miles.
Hey that's fantastic! My wife would tell you that I'm a "read the directions then figure out MY WAY Works Best Kinda Guy".

The easiest step by step process for me is:

1- While vehicle is running and transmission is in D (and holding brake) I turn off the ignition and then don't touch key after that

2- Shift transfer case to N

3- Shift transmission to P

4- Make sure Jeep is free-wheeling by pushing vehicle either forward or backward

This way I never have to worry if I've got the key in the right location. The first couple times I did the process according to the manual. I turned the key to the lock position and accidentally locked the stearing. My 4 step process works best for us.

On another note what campground are you in The Smokies? Sharon & I want to plan a trip there soon!

Kettrell
Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #46

Rivers Edge at end of Pigeon Forge. Spots are close together but we have stayed here last 4 years. Nice pool and hot tub. First 3 years we had to use the trolley system to get around. We got to see and do so much more having the jeep.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #47

Enclosed Car Trailer

Is anyone towing a Enclosed Car Trailer behind a Melbourne 29. I'm looking at a 20ft or 24ft.

Thanks Steve
Floridays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
We just picked up a 2006 Cooper S convertible with crazy-low miles. Haven't set it up to tow yet, but I haven't had this much fun with my daily driver in a long, long time. It's a hoot!
Steve, I assume you are going to tow that mini 4 down. Are you going to have to lower your hitch receiver to keep the tow bar to an acceptable degree of being level?
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridays View Post
Is anyone towing a Enclosed Car Trailer behind a Melbourne 29. I'm looking at a 20ft or 24ft.

Thanks Steve
I would not recommend it. The tow hitch is only rated to 5k pounds and 500 pounds of tongue weight. Even if you get a sub-frame beef up to go with the Ford Maximum GCWR of 22,000 (look for the Jayco sticker on the driver's side door jamb) you still only get 750 tongue weight and 7,500 pound trailer. Car haulers are usually about 1K at least and have significant tongue weight sometimes more than 10% which would mean that you could be over on your GVWR as well. I would not want to every be over any weight limits. On the E450 chassis it is very difficult to do but is possible if you are very careful if you are "flat towing" rather than using an auto transport. Best of luck to you!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #50

@Bluesky46: I have not gotten around to pursuing towing the Mini yet (sometimes the wheels do turn slow...) But the receiver on our Jayco is pretty low as it is - I doubt it would require modification.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #51

I tow a Honda CR-V with blu ox and SMI equipment
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #52

A 2015 Nissan Frontier 5 spd manual, rear wheel drive.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote