Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

What is YOUR wait time for dealer service?

We have always liked our experience with Richardson's RV in Menifee, CA but that was before we needed warranty (and other) service.

We dropped off our new Greyhawk 29MV. We had several small warranty issues; needed install of some after market items included in original purchase; and had lots of questions because our original walk thru started late and the dealer needed to close.

FOUR weeks later, we finally rec'd a message that they were ready to discuss the cost and timing of the work we would need. That's right. It took four weeks to get to the part where they are ready to discuss the order. For the first 2.5 weeks, we rec'd no phone calls or other messages, including responses to our inquiries. Thereafter we started complaining and finally talked to someone at about the start of week 3 telling us they would know more in a week.

Question: Is this usual? Do others have this same problem. Our coach, which is usually garaged; has been sitting in a crummy parking lot since February 18. No one is running the genny and we left water in the tank because we needed to test the water heater.

We still don't have a clue as to how much longer it will need to be at the dealer because we still have been unable to talk to them about the "course of treatment". I feel as though we could have been having some fun with the coach instead of wearing thru its exterior warranty.

The cherry on top is that we had to make the drop off appt about 8 weeks in advance.

Meanwhile, we are making payments AND paying for its storage unit. Geesh. Suggestions?
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

What is YOUR wait time for dealer service?

I haven't had to have warranty work done in a long time. Before the current RV I've bought used and service has never been more than a couple days after it's dropped off before it is in. I had bad experience with a long time sitting waiting just to be looked at before, and make sure the note is on the service order that I am to be called to pick up the RV if it is not being worked on within 48 hours of drop off. I'm nice about asking for it, but I've found setting the expectation that I'm not willing to wait in writing seems to help. I don't know how well that will fly with warranty claim work though. But I'd still rather have my RV than have it sitting at a shop not being worked on.

The shop that made me wait around for nothing also did the job they were paid for wrong, and then wanted to charge me to fix the job they did wrong. I never tried the 48 hour clause on the service request with them because I never went back. If you find a place that had, find a new place.

Doing this means it's normal to take it in for diagnosis and ordering parts, then taking it home and getting another scheduled appointment to do work.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
We have always liked our experience with Richardson's RV in Menifee, CA but that was before we needed warranty (and other) service.

We dropped off our new Greyhawk 29MV. We had several small warranty issues; needed install of some after market items included in original purchase; and had lots of questions because our original walk thru started late and the dealer needed to close.

FOUR weeks later, we finally rec'd a message that they were ready to discuss the cost and timing of the work we would need. That's right. It took four weeks to get to the part where they are ready to discuss the order. For the first 2.5 weeks, we rec'd no phone calls or other messages, including responses to our inquiries. Thereafter we started complaining and finally talked to someone at about the start of week 3 telling us they would know more in a week.

Question: Is this usual? Do others have this same problem. Our coach, which is usually garaged; has been sitting in a crummy parking lot since February 18. No one is running the genny and we left water in the tank because we needed to test the water heater.

We still don't have a clue as to how much longer it will need to be at the dealer because we still have been unable to talk to them about the "course of treatment". I feel as though we could have been having some fun with the coach instead of wearing thru its exterior warranty.

The cherry on top is that we had to make the drop off appt about 8 weeks in advance.

Meanwhile, we are making payments AND paying for its storage unit. Geesh. Suggestions?

I would say that was my experience as well, and to have the multiple wood trim pieces scratched and construction grit and grime throughout.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

When we need warranty work or add-ons, we call our dealer, they order the appropriate parts, and we don't take it in until they have everything ready to go. We try to do it before camping season begins, because they are always swamped between March and September. Sometimes we have to call them more than once.

The experience we just had: They called to tell us that parts were in. We made an appointment for a specific day and time. They replaced a window shade in the bedroom that was crushed when we purchased it and a solar panel monitor that stopped registering. They also inspected our roof and checked a couple of small items for possible problems. They had us in and out in a day. We don't take it in until we're guaranteed that they'll work on it at the assigned time. Of course, our things were minor; but no matter what it is, we expect them to honor our appointment and to continuously work on it until it's finished. We have to drive 175 miles to have it serviced, so we camp in it. We thought maybe we'd have to spend one night in a hotel, but thankfully we didn't have to.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

warranty service

I also purchased from Richardson's RV in Menifee, CA. Nice sales staff and service writers. They have a 2 block long sales lot with massive inventory and 6 service bays. Yes, the insistence that your RV sit on their lot while it moves through their processing stinks, but all my problems did eventually get attention.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

I called and they wanted me in in two days, I couldn't until that weekend. They asked me to stay and they made the repairs while I waited.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #7

I just had some work done on our Greyhawk, and they got right on it. However, it is off-season here in Montana and I knew what to expect. If I try to get my coach in for anything May-Sept, then it's usually 2-3 weeks out. I also have much better service with a face to face conversation!!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #8

Richardson's currently has a 14-17 drop time before your RV even gets looked at. That has been in effect since October 2016 when I started looking at trailers. They also have an 8 item maximum repair list for any visit. It will take them 1-2 weeks to get a pre-authorization from Jayco for any warranty items and then another 2-3 weeks for the parts before your actual repair begins. 2 months per visit if your lucky... BTW, I was there today...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post

We bought from the same dealer but at the Riverside location. The last time we had ours in for warranty work, they had it for about a month and had to order a new mattress. They asked if we wanted to leave it while we wait for the part. We agreed. So it was there another month (I was a bit annoyed that it took one month just to get the darn mattress ordered). When we picked it up, the battery was dead, dead, dead. We haven't needed any work since then so we have not been back. Hopefully we won't need to go back. I will find a shop closer to home for any maintenance work.
I've read on the forum here that people have had good experiences with the Jayco dealer in Prescott, Arizona. If we had a bunch of warranty work that needed repair, I think I would rather drive 4 hours to get good timely service instead of driving 1 1/2 hours for slow service. Just a thought. Good luck! I hope you can get out and enjoy your MH real soon.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #10

3 years and counting.. Johnny Walker RV in Vegas is suppose to get back to me.....

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

We had a couple of warranty issues that needed to be taken care of before the warrany expired this month. Also wanted the bearings re-greased. Called Blade RV and set a date we could bring it in (70 mile drive) which was a Tuesday. We were asked if we wanted to wait for the work to be done but told them, if they could have it ready by Saturday, that would work for us. They called Wednesday afternoon that the WH was ready for pick up.

Blade RV (Mt. Vernon WA.) has been nothing but stupendous with their work and most helpful.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Murff...that's what everyone should be experiencing. Is it that hard? How can these shops give the crummy service and then take pride in themselves?
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote