Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

What items to get just starting out

We are long term boating people moving to RV (26A Melbourne). Delivery in September and we want to start out with a week long trip. What accessories or items should we make sure we have before starting out? Don't want to learn on the road.

Any opinion about towing options would be helpful
ezridermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #2

Hard question to answer - just like boating, there're things that you'll find you need and things you find you can do without - but it'll take experience and time to figure it out.

Besides the basics of dishes and linen, consider a first-aid kit, small tool kit which includes a tire-iron in case of a flat (not standard equipment), hatchet/axe, good kitchen knives & a solid wood cutting board (don't use the plastic one over the sink, you'll ruin it), can opener and a wine-bottle opener...extra covers/comforters, light bulbs, heavy duty tin foil, walkie-talkies to aid in backing up, pencil & paper (to write down what you're missing!~)...

No matter what you do, you'll find that you're missing things. Happens every single 'first trip' of the season!

Towing options? Don't skimp or go cheap. A good hitch with a good sway-bar, properly matched with your TV, is an investment in safety. As are additional mirrors if your TV needs them...

Enjoy!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

Hey Ezridermd - welcome to the forums! If you get a chance, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

As far as accessories - that is a tough question - many of them are personal choices. You of course have your staples such as dump hoses, water hoses, regulators, adapters, etc. Then you have all your comfort items like awning lights, outdoor chairs, outdoor rugs, etc. Many of those you just have to find what you like over time.

I would suggest two things - poke around here (and other forums) and see what other folks have said. Feel free to post any and all questions. You might get a better response if you target your questions like "what accessories do I need to dump my sewer" or "what accessories do I need to level my trailer"

#2 - Get yourself one of the big RV parts/accessory catalogs. Your dealer will usually be glad to supply you one (no charge), or request one from one of the big retailers like Camping World and/or JC Whitney. You can thumb through the catalog and it will spur all kinds of ideas and questions.

Good luck!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezridermd View Post
We are long term boating people moving to RV (26A Melbourne). Delivery in September and we want to start out with a week long trip. What accessories or items should we make sure we have before starting out? Don't want to learn on the road.

Any opinion about towing options would be helpful
Be careful about the amount of items you plan to store in outside compartments. We have a Jayco Melbourne 29d on order and the outside storage is pretty small. Don't know how much on the inside, but both will be a lot less than the 35 foot 5th wheel we currently own and plan to trade in. Another good site to check would be IRV2.com. It has way more members and a lot of experienced RVers who are glad to help.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

Driveway camp for a night or two. You will see how many time you have to run back into the house to get! LOL We have our RV on an RV pad behind the house. Now we are at the point where the RV is better stocked then the house. When wife says where is the aluminum foil or the cork screw, I just say it's in the RV!
Don't over pack. At the end of a trip re access what you really needed or stuff that just took up space. If the grand kids are not coming, we leave behind the games, if we are not hitting the beach, we leave behind the beach chairs. So plan for your particular destination and activities. Since you will have a toad, you can always drive to a store and most campgrounds have well stocked stores for the basic necessities.
Don't forget your medications. If traveling with pets, bring their rabies vaccination records. Also the chargers for cameras, cell phones, and computer. One trip I had taken my sewer hose out of the storage bin to clean and hang on the fence to dry. We left without it! Oh well now I have a spare.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

One more thing you might want to use - I just built some 'blocks' out of leftover 2x4's and plywood (a piece of 4x4 would work just as well) to put under the stabilizer & tongue when parking. Keeps the stabilizer jacks off the ground and helps keep the trailer from jiggling around a bit.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

Water pressure regulator
Surge protector
L fitting for water connection
Longer fresh water hose. Mark the one furnished as black tank flush hose.
Adjustable wrench for cg septic line caps
Small tool box
New septic line kit. One furnished is junk
Flash light
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

RVs are like boats. You'll find that a lot of the things DW had to have in it are not ever used and are just space killers. You'll probably use the same kitchen utensils and gadgets that you use at home, linens, towels, leveling blocks, either homemade or commercial, and a bubble level of some type. That will get you started

As far as equipment for the trailer itself, I would start with a good water pressure regulator(Watts) and a EMS(Electrical Management System) Those two items will protect you from the most catastrophic repairs. As far as the other stuff, start with basics and formulat your list as you go. You'll probably end up with a pretty decent tool kit.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

One of the first things I bought was a pair of pruners. In past experience I've learned you do not want vegetation to come into contact with your RV. Ants love to get in your camper that way. I always setup then I do a walk around and if a tree limb or brush is in contact I take my pruners and remove it.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

We have a 2011 29D. Did a two week, 3,300 mile trip. Really had no problem with the storage. We actually had room left over and had stuff we never touched. I understand the 2012 has additional outside storage compartments.
Big problem I had was remembering where I put stuff. Have now number the compartments (inside and out) and listed items stored in them.
Carried to many tools. One thing I wish I had was a FORD wrench to remover septic line caps in cg's. Had to get the cg to remove in two that we visited.
Also had 70 psi water pressure in one cg. Thank goodness I had a pressure reducer. Also had a lightening strick in another cg. Our surge protected worked as advertised.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote