Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

What??? No spare tire???

We just bought a new Melbourne 24K. I figured the spare was under the vehicle. Yesterday I looked under it and found that there is a spot for a spare but no tire or wheel.
What to do? Should it have come with one or do I now figure out how to get the wheel, tire and a way to mount it?
The 24k has a rear slide, straight out the back which limits my choice of bumper mount carriers to the type that folds down. Not an ideal situation but better than sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire.
Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Roy
stumpshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

When we were in the process of buying ours, and found no spare tire... we called Jayco about it. They told us that it was a "liability" issue, that too many people were getting hurt trying to change their own motorhome tires.

Not sure that I buy that, but it is what it is... so we negotiated a mounted spare into the deal for the unit. In our case we traded a motorhome where the slide came out the back for one where we could carry both a spare and bikes on this:

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Sorry that you're having the "no spare" issue. I think that the sales people at the dealerships don't want to mention it, as the would have to add the mounted tire to the deal to make the sale.

Good lock, and safe camping.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
When we were in the process of buying ours, and found no spare tire... we called Jayco about it. They told us that it was a "liability" issue, that too many people were getting hurt trying to change their own motorhome tires.

Not sure that I buy that...
I don't buy it for a heartbeat!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

Here's some interesting reading on the subject by someone fairly experienced.
RV 101® Education with Mark Polk: Where's the Spare

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

I thought it was a law to carry a spare.
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
I thought it was a law to carry a spare.
Sounds goofy enough to be a law

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

Adding a Spare

I was also surprised that a big moving vehicle would not come with a spare. Having it gives you the option of doing it yourself if wanted/needed. At least having the spare wheel and tire allows road assistance to do the labor if needed.

I ended up doing a similar “under belly” installation as well documented here:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f30/adding-spare-tire-mount-to-greyhawk-9377.html

I would add that some attention is needed to:
-Be sure your jacks will fit under the jack points (on a deflated tire), front and rear. I bought a larger combo jack/jack stand for the rear and a short bottle jack for the front.
-You need a large (i.e. 25-30”) breaker bar and torque wrench.
-I completely disagree with the “500 lbs. of torque on lug nuts” mentioned on some of these posts. The Greyhawk manual clearly states 150 ft. lbs. (for Aluminum wheels) which is only about 60 lbs. more than my car and easily accomplished with a long torque wrench.
-A steel wheel requires "Swivel Lug Nuts" (per the text on the wheel itself). Torque on a Steel wheel with swivel Lugs is 140 ft/lbs (per Greyhawk manual)
-I purchased the Swivel Lug Nuts 9/16 x 18 (Thread pitch) at an auto supply, $6 ea.
-I bought my spare rim at a junk yard for $85. Some sanding and painting made it look great. Stating my vehicle was a based on a Ford 450 helped the yard a lot. As them about the swivel lug nuts as they might be $2-$3 ea. Below are pics showing how to measure the rim you buy at the junk yard and compare it to yours.
-I tested things to be sure my jacks worked, the rim fit, I had the correct lug nuts and sockets, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Measuring Lug Pattern.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

I have had too much experience with changing trailer and motorhome tires on the side of the road and I hate it. 3 people were killed and one injured critically this week in Indiana when trying to change a tire on the side of the road. I have a aluminum racing jack,20 volt dewalt impact, and 2 spares and if I have to change a tire on the side of the road I want it to be like a pit stop at indy. That being said why would they not have a spare on a motor home but they have one under the travel trailers. Both carry the same risk changing a tire.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

500 ft/lbs is what a Seneca takes on its 22.5" wheels, not practical for the average owner to carry around the tools necessary to break those loose or torque them back down. But for ultimate peace of mind I would like to have a mounted spare stashed somewhere. Probably will do something before we make our 2017 Alaska trip.

My previous Ford-based units did have spares and I had to use them one time on each while traveling. Sure was handy to be able to handle it myself. And 140 ft/lbs for the swivel nuts was easily accomplished.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

dewalts brushless 20 volt 1/2 inch impact has 750 ft lbs torque
Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
dewalts brushless 20 volt 1/2 inch impact has 750 ft lbs torque
I looked at some videos online of that tool in use and it certainly seemed capable of removing my lugs. But the other half of the equation is tightening them back up, and all recommendations are that one use a torque wrench to ensure they are properly affixed. Impact wrenches don't seem to have the adjustability and consistency necessary to do it safely. But if it gets me (carefully) to a shop where it can be done with a proper wrench, it sure is worthy of consideration!

I always have the ability to lift either end of my unit, my levelers are very capable of getting either end completely off the ground. So this tool might be the answer to getting the lugs off on the road in a pinch.

Thanks Paintinfool3! (Unique ID too!)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

My '12 Greyhawk 31ss did not come with a spare. According to the dealer, that is Jayco policy for safety reasons. HOWEVER my dealer was good about going to a local tire shop and arranging for a matching wheel and tire to be delivered to me. Only requirement was, that transaction did not go thru the dealer books and I was billed directly by the tire shop. I put it in the rear storage compartment, plenty of room, but I do not carry necessary tools to change it. That is a job for Good Sam. If I was doing it again, I would probably just get the tire and forget the rim. Tire shops have the necessary tools to mount a tire that size, on the road, I think.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote