Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

What to do

We bought 31DS in September had the vibration problem, water pump problem, hot water problem, and several other small problems Which was minor. Have taken Rv on two long weekends and we have only had Rv in our possession for 1 and 1/2 months Dealer has had it the rest of the time. So last weekend was the second trip Still have a little vibration, water heater will not produce a constant water temperature using water pump or city water, have went through three tanks of water at home adjusting everything and water temperature is cold to warm to burning hot no matter what its set on.(TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP) So then to top it off the heat pump quit working in middle of night and woke up to Rv being 60 degrees good thing for gas heat. So back to dealer again.

We have always had travel trailers or 5th wheel campers, wanted to go to Class C and did a **** ton of research and thought we was buying one of the top of Line RV in Jayco and I was SO WRONG WHAT A TOTAL PIECE OF JUNK.We have talked to several Jayco owners and they LOVE there RV I guess we got one built after LONG HOLIDAY WEEKEND SORRY FOR LONG VENTING AND HOPE YOU HAVE VERY GOOD LUCK WITH RV
fred639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

Have you contacted Jayco directly? If not, it might not hurt.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

I have felt your pain!! I know how you are feeling.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Have you contacted Jayco directly? If not, it might not hurt.

Murff

Yes we have, to factory rep at RV show, several phone calls and emails and its always big FAT no Response Dealer has tried to help But now it's not good enough So as soon as Owner of dealer gets back in town we going to see if they will make it right the easy way or we going the hard way.

I have been very Patient with them and I'm done WITH JAYCO
Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #5

That really stinks. I haven't had that many problems, but I share your dissatisfaction with the water heater. I don't think we'll ever be happy with the tankless ones they are using. I agree with Murff, contact Jayco directly.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

I really haven't had a issue w/ the water heater. I've been able to get mine dialed in every time. I assure I have proper pressure coming into the rig, kept the stock showerhead, and followed the instructions on the website to a 'T'.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #7

Sorry fred, I didn't see your comment saying you've contacted Jayco. I sure hope you are able to get that stuff squared away.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #8

I'm glad the tankless water heater is working for you. I've only been out twice, have seen all the videos, did all the research, played with the faucet waterflow, still never got consistent hot water. Nowhere near as hot or consistent as my 6 gallon tank heater I had before. I will continue to try it but am not optimistic.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Are you using one of those cheap 'pressure regulators' between the water spigot and the hose to your rig?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

I wonder how many dissatisfied customers, or reports of problems with a certain product such as this water heater will have to be addressed, before a recall will be implemented. My dealership worked on mine all winter, replacing different components, and making different adjustments. The first time we used it the water temperature was not constant. I don't know, I may be expecting to much, but I think when I turn in the hot water, I should have hot water!! Simple as that.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #11

Yes, I am using an in expensive pressure regulator connected to my fresh water hose going into the city water inlet. But the water heater also does not work properly when I am using the fresh water tank/water pump. What do you suggest?
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #12

I have tried everything with hot water heater its got to go.
In Fact the whole RV is going to go Back with all the problems we have has and only used it twice we have put around 750 miles using unit and it has 2,000 due to dealer and the repairs

Should have saved 20,000.00 and bought a Forest river brand
Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #13

The water pump only sends out about 40-45 psi. I could see it being problematic that way, but I bet if you really futzed with it you could get it pretty good. Unfortunately by that time your fresh water tank would probably be empty and your grey tank would be full. These tankless systems aren't really good boondocking systems.

Check out this thread that I started awhile back: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ure-28686.html

In short, the inexpensive regulator is really a flow restrictor which has the side benefit of reducing pressure. If you get a Watts pressure regulator and dial it in to 50-55, you'll still be protected but you won't be restricting the FLOW. These tankless systems are all about proper flow first, then temperature correction second.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #14

Ok jopopsy, I will try the Watts regulator. I agree, boondocking is going to be problematic. Unfortunately, here in Colorado, that's what I like to do. I've got a couple 5 gallon jugs I'll be filling with water and taking with me. I just don't get why Jayco thinks there is a benefit to having these things. Sure did seem "innovative" at the RV show though!

Hey, I just noticed that I'm no longer a "Jr Member." How many posts do I need to take the next step??
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #15

I hope it works out for you. Like I said I start w/ the Watts at the spigot and I kept the stock showerhead in the shower. I run all the faucets like the video suggests to get any air out of the lines. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes or so to really get the water where I need it. I try to run the shower at about 1/2 power. If I need the shower colder I open the dial more. If I need it warmer, I close the dial more.

The water heater by its very nature will need to be adjusted from time to time. If you set it when its 70 degrees outside and you take a shower when its 30 - you'll probably need to open the heat dial up a bit more.

Its not 100% convenient, however I will say I really enjoy taking a 20 minute shower after my wife and having plenty of hot water to do so.

Clearly I don't boondock in my rig !

Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #16

My next outing is the second weekend in Apr. I'll have the Watts connected and we'll see how it goes.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

I wonder if that surflo pump that adjusts the speed of the pump to keep a the preset higher than normal pressure would help the hot water problem.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

klassic I really don't know anything about the surflow pump. Is it adjustable?
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #19

Smile Water Heater and Poor Service

Sorry to see all you have sufferred with. We have been through many sizes and shapes of RV products over the years, from small trailers to Class A. We are now on a 2016 Jayco 23XM. So far flawless and a few calls I have made to Jayco for support have been superb, like asking for wiring and as built plan copies.

I have found that many persons working at the dealer level know less about the product and systems of an RV than the owner. If I cannot service it myself, I will contact the manufacturer of the chassis or in your case, Jayco. I would also deal directly with the water heater manufacturer and insist a rep review the unit. It should be under warranty. Same with coach issues. If I had coach issues, it would be at Ford or Jayco and then Court! Too many trust that a dealer is invested in your happiness. My experience shows that most care little and cannot wait for your warranty to expire. Try to deal direct and do not allow them to put you off.
Our best wishes for your success!!
Carl
Old 03-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #20

Its been years since I looked at variable speed pumps. I thought it was ShurFlo.
Here is one though, I don't recall it being this brand, but it is used in high end class A`s so that must mean something
Check it out.
Aquajet : Remco
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote