Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

What to use for stone, gravel protection while towing???

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV need some help what I should use to protect my new Jeep from stone chips, and other debris from damaging it? There is so many options out there need some help which is best ? Thanks for your help.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
CAG

I have a clear bra on the front of the 2019 Wrangler Unlimited and have had no stone/rock damage pulling it behind the Greyhawk. It is tucked in with the RV protecting it. I have more issues just driving down the road without the RV because of the nearly perpendicular windshield. Good thing I have full glass coverage. A common thing you will find with Jeeps.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV need some help what I should use to protect my new Jeep from stone chips, and other debris from damaging it? There is so many options out there need some help which is best ? Thanks for your help.
Honestly... there is so much junk on the highways that you are always going to find something that flies up and hits your toad... unless you put it in an enclosed trailer.

Our FJC sits on a big flat-bed trailer, the FJ sits behind a Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4X4 and the Kodiak sits behind a 6-Ft wide tool box. We pulled into camp one afternoon after about 250-miles and found a 2.5" chunk of asphalt sitting on the hood if the Toyota.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

Why dont you install a one piece flap at the very rear of the Greyhawk like what is found on the big high end coaches. I'm sure they didnt install them for looks and advertisement. Lol!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Why dont you install a one piece flap at the very rear of the Greyhawk like what is found on the big high end coaches. I'm sure they didnt install them for looks and advertisement. Lol!
I was asked one day at work... if these really big one-piece things hanging behind every fancy motorhome (with it's fancy expensive name on it) really work????.

And if they did, and the benefit was realized for the rest of the highway travelers... then why isn't every OTR(over the road) truck required to have them. (Like wind spoilers are).

I would think that every insurance company would be all over that.... but they aren't.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:43 AM   #6

I installed these guards onto rear bumper, heavy duty thick rubber flaps. Welded angle iron to bottom of bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
6B7874C1-A49F-4EF4-A9D6-092B22192DE6.jpg   4F3180E5-E93C-49DE-B3EE-5C4FCCB98CF4.jpg  
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #7

One day I may add the shields as well, however I think the reason they aren't used all that much is due to the RV having such a long tail section past the rear wheels. Any rocks that would be thrown upward from the rear tires would hit the rear section past the axle and not hit your toad or vehicles behind you. This isn't true of course with certain Class A's that have the rear axle very close to the rear of the RV. In any case, I certainly agree that adding the guards would do no harm and certainly could help. I have towed my toad and do not have the guards and have no rock damage... but certainly could happen one day. ~CA
Old 01-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #8

We use a Blue Ox Karguard Shield--mounts on tow hooks in front of Jeep wrangler. Folds in half and stores underneath a Seneca when not in use or short haul.
Diesel the RV is offline   Reply With Quote