Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #21
Site Team

Ford started with it in 07 I think. That was one reason I bought in 06.

My 2017 seems like they have made some improvements in the technology and application.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #22

Good use for old DEF containers... They are a great way to transport and store bottled water or expandable water hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210720_023231636.jpg  
WTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #23

Urea.....mammal pee

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTurkey View Post
Good use for old DEF containers... They are a great way to transport and store bottled water or expandable water hoses.
That is a great idea
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Urea.....mammal pee

byproduct of amnio acid degradation, if the right neuron is firing today.

and some distant memory about Dalmatian dogs being a bit different here. Don't recall specifics.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Not if they’re old enough.
Touche my friend...touche!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #27

I also try and run the DEF low before adding new DEF. And even then don't add more than 2.5 gallons at a time when I am at about 1/4 tank.

But, in a different forum regarding failed DEF Heads. The information was to keep the DEF tank full? Some even advising adding more DEF at each fuel stop?

The logic was that the DEF sensor was on a tube and it slide up and down on that tube. And full tank prevented DEF crystals from forming on that slider.

Apparently when the slider/sensor gets stuck. It confuses the computer and sends errors that may result in an engine being derated (engine power reduced to force consumers to go to the mechanic and get the DEF system repaired.)

My current thought is that keeping the tank full and draining it annually might be a good idea.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #28

For about two years, I tried to keep track of miles per quart of DEF the engine used. It's the MB Sprinter, 2017 Jayco Melbourne, 39k miles.
I wrote mileage numbers of a piece of paper I slipped under the visor. Well, that paper disappeared. I seem to recall getting 350 to 400 miles per quart. I figured I could drive for months.
A year or so ago, after a MB recall for an emissions issue, someone posted that their DEF use dropped after the recall work.
I had the recall work done at the MB dealer.
A month ago, while traveling, two new lights flashed on the dash. DEF issue. It was low. It was guzzling DEF. The use dropped to 190 mile per quart, or something like that.
Moral: top off DEF often, perhaps after every trip. I carry two quarts in a storage compartment.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #29

Ok. Bought a 2 1/2 gal container of Blue DEF from Walmart in 01/2020 in Florida. Came home (Joiet, Illinois) and put it in my unheated detached garage and haven't used it as haven't been going anywhere to need it. Also traded my 2015 2500HD Duramax for a 2021 3500HD Duramax the first part of 03/2021. Haven't checked the DEF expiration date yet (will do tomorrow) and don't have a refractor to test it with yet either.

My question is if it is expired what do I do with it? Can't dump it on the ground or down a drain. If it isn't expired yet (highly unlikely) would you go ahead and use it if the refractor shows it OK or would you still just get rid of it somehow?

My buddy suggested to go ahead and use it (he has a F450 Diesel) as it is just a saline solution. Just make sure it is mixed well as it probably has separated. What would you do? I'm thinking to just get rid of it ($12) and not chance it, but going back to above - How do I get rid of it without affecting the environment?

Any thoughts - greatly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe -
Old 09-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Ok. Bought a 2 1/2 gal container of Blue DEF from Walmart in 01/2020 in Florida. Came home (Joiet, Illinois) and put it in my unheated detached garage and haven't used it as haven't been going anywhere to need it. Also traded my 2015 2500HD Duramax for a 2021 3500HD Duramax the first part of 03/2021. Haven't checked the DEF expiration date yet (will do tomorrow) and don't have a refractor to test it with yet either.

My question is if it is expired what do I do with it? Can't dump it on the ground or down a drain. If it isn't expired yet (highly unlikely) would you go ahead and use it if the refractor shows it OK or would you still just get rid of it somehow?

My buddy suggested to go ahead and use it (he has a F450 Diesel) as it is just a saline solution. Just make sure it is mixed well as it probably has separated. What would you do? I'm thinking to just get rid of it ($12) and not chance it, but going back to above - How do I get rid of it without affecting the environment?

Any thoughts - greatly appreciated.

Thanks and be safe -
Does your local community have a hazardous waste disposal site? Our city has one that will take old paint, solvents, stain, used oil etc for free. I’m sure they would take DEF. My truck doesn’t know what DEF is, but I wouldn’t risk it for 12 bucks if it did.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #31

Using Old DEF as Fertilizer

I can't vouch for the fertilizer use, but maybe apply to your lawn? Keep in mind too much Urea can "burn" plants and contaminate water sources.
Following from web-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a colorless, non-hazardous, and non-flammable chemical. If DEF comes into contact with skin it can simply be washed off with water.

DEF is essentially 48-0-0 as a fertilizer
DEF applied straight will 'burn' plant life if it isn't watered in quickly and well, and that as a fertilizer it should be cut about 10:1 and still washed in well when you test.

Using DEF as lawn fertilizer-
https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21273
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #32

Stop at a Truckstop fill from the pump, wasting $$ buying a box.
chad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad59 View Post
Stop at a Truckstop fill from the pump, wasting $$ buying a box.
I agree that it is more economical to use truck stop pump DEF. However, at least on my Sprinter, the under hood DEF tank location makes it nearly impossible to not make a mess using pump DEF. For me, the box is much easier.

I would be interested to know if anyone with a Sprinter uses a method that eliminates the spills with that tank location.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #34

Easier than a box and I know about difficult locations I have a 2018 Duramax lifted and the fill in on the passenger side under the hood. But still way easier than an awkward box. Less messy too.
chad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #35

My 15 Duramax had DEF in the tank for over 2 years before I had to fill it with no issues.
The box thing is a pia and WAY more expensive than buying it at the pump. I just recently tried to get some at the pump at my local truck stop, I guess it just wasnt meant to be. I had to oull in thrbpumos from the exit side because the fill is on the passenger side under the hood, pia. Then my credit card wouldnt work, kept coming back declined. Tried for 30 min to get my cc issue resolved over the phone before I left and went home. It kept coming back declined because the cc machine at the pump was trying to get a pre approval for $500. CC company shut it down and locked my card after the second try.
At the end of the day I ended up with two 2.5gal boxes in my truck bed travelling with me for over 400mi before the DIC gave me the pissed off out of DEF message and i filled it. That's the only way I get the tank to take both boxes.
As far as a previous post of what to do with expired DEF,.. dump it down the toilet and flush a couple of times. It's nothing more than heavy piss water.
I dont know why we have to use this crap anyway. When it all first came out, Cummins wasnt even using this junk, they were injecting diesel fuel and still passed emissions tests.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I agree that it is more economical to use truck stop pump DEF. However, at least on my Sprinter, the under hood DEF tank location makes it nearly impossible to not make a mess using pump DEF. For me, the box is much easier.

I would be interested to know if anyone with a Sprinter uses a method that eliminates the spills with that tank location.
2.5 gallon container and a pump like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very easy to control the flow. Continually pump for more volume or develop a siphon and when you hear flow filling the tank fill tube press the white part on top to stop flow instantly.

Also worth adding to the tool box.

Cant get the tube to the tank of my 13 cargo but I go through that pretty regularly. I have access to the Melbourne's tank from the top so I check it annually. I also bought a 5 gallon container on sale from Tractor Supply that I used this to test the quality as I used it or I test previously opened 2.5 gallon containers.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
2.5 gallon container and a pump like this.

Very easy to control the flow. Continually pump for more volume or develop a siphon and when you hear flow filling the tank fill tube press the white part on top to stop flow instantly.

Also worth adding to the tool box.

Cant get the tube to the tank of my 13 cargo but I go through that pretty regularly. I have access to the Melbourne's tank from the top so I check it annually. I also bought a 5 gallon container on sale from Tractor Supply that I used this to test the quality as I used it or I test previously opened 2.5 gallon containers.

Thank you!
Old 09-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #38

To add DEF, I have a plastic funnel that's about 14 inches long.
I also have two 1-liter plastic bottles that I carry DEF in while traveling. So, pouring from the liter bottles is easy.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote