Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #21

I use the BBQ wipes sold at the Dollar Store at the end of each trip. These are heavy duty wet wipes with a stippled scrubbing surface on one side. I use about one pack per season. I find my newer Coleman RoadTrip (I had a first generation one, there are several improvements) has a very good surface under the grates that releases junk easily. It's still nice and shiny after 3 seasons.

It used to live just inside the door of the trailer - last in first out - but the wheels invariably tracked in too much dirt (I was too cheap to buy the bag). Now that I have a pickup, it rides in the bed and lives in the garage between trips.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #22

22 inch Blackstone griddle. Love cooking on it, many advantages to traditional BBQ. Flat so easy to stack in storage and low profile. We are going to build shelves to slide in and out without unstacking. The Coleman stove, the box with attached hinge lid for griddle tools, table clothes and other goodies have not yet acquired.
RTVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #23

I have neither gas or char coal. Went with a pellet grill. I built a drawer so I can just pull it out when I use it. For cleaning all I have to do once in a while is vacuum out the ashes.
For me this is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191007_155011.jpg  
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #24

I now have grill envy.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #25

What I’ve done with the BBQ

I have the bbq that came with my hybrid trailer so when I’m done with it I use those plastic zipper bags that you get with comforters and place it in there and zip it up and if grease comes out it wipes up no problem and I clean it out at the end of the season
scottransell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #26

Grill

I switched to a Blackstone Griddle. Never looking back. It’s cleaned and oiled before I even sit down to eat.
DJWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #27

The only grill cleaning I do is to burn it off before each use, wipe up any spills or splatters as they happen, and scoop out the burn off residue when it builds up too heavy - usually on once every couple of years. The grill as well as our cook top and bbq tools all fit into a plastic storage container that gees into the pass through storage compartment.
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #28

We have a tabletop grill that I bought from a neighbor 4 or 5 years ago. I usually let it get hot before putting the meat on to burn off anything remaining from last use.

About once a session, I give it a good cleaning. It came with a canvas bag for storage in the pass-thru.
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #29

I have used silicone grill mats with great success. 2 matts last a season..EASY to clean, never have to clean grill bars. See whatcha think.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=silicone+...b_sb_ss_i_1_14
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #30

I have a 17” blackstone now, store it in the front compartment. Also have the bumper mount grill that came w rv. Gets used less and less w blackstone though. That one I never clean, goes from the back of the truck right to the mount on the back of the camper.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #31

With the Coleman Road Trip, I normally just clean the grates unless I cooked something that really made a mess then it gets wiped out. Store it in the pass thru compartment with no problems yet...

2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS
2018 F250 CCSB 6.2
2015 F150 SCSB 2.7TTEB (gone)
Equalizer WD
JJVDAV98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #32

I have the Coleman NXT (4 kiddos so needed a big grill). I hate putting chemicals on the surface that my food is going to be cooking on.

An old BBQ pitmaster taught me a trick a long time ago for my home gas grill and it works extremely well for our NXT too.

1.Take either a large section of aluminum foil (or several overlapping if you cant cover the whole grill surface with one sheet) with the shinny side down.

2.Place a heavy object on top of the foil. (we have a brick at home, or you can use a cast iron skillet, pot, or something that wont burn or melt)

3. Turn grill on high and close the lid. Make sure you have enough air flow that the grill stays lit.

4. Wait at least 10 minutes. Carefully open top and check under the foil. The heat will turn everything left on the grill surface to ash. A really dirty grill may need additional time. Once all particles have been turned to white ash, remove the foil, and brush with a wire/grill brush.

Grill surface will look like new!
Osogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #33

Burn off the grease (or clean off) and then spray with oil so it doesn't rust. No issues.
BassOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #34

At home, I cook on our Weber Q1200 grill a lot, but I haven't wanted to take it on the road for the reason you mentioned....bugs. And, I'm probably too lazy to clean it enough to eliminate it as a food source when the trailer's in storage.

Our solution was to use a baby Weber charcoal grill. We have one of those chimneys for starting the charcoal without fluid (UGH). When we're done cooking on the grill, the hot coals seem to do an effective job of rendering any food drippings into dry dust.

Using charcoal turned out to be considerably less hassle than I had thought.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #35

1. Son has Blackstone grill so I try to get him to do the camping cooking. It is a really nice unit. Would love to have one.

2. Have used BBQ mats with great success at home and camping. All crud stays on mat (unless it runs off edges) and grills stay clean. I bought a new BBQ for home and have used mats since purchase. Grills still look brand new. Mats take a bit of effort to clean in the sink at home. I wouldn't waste the time while camping to clean them, just save until home. Soaking overnight in hot soapy water helps as does using the faucet spray with very hot water. They are worth the cleanup effort.

3. Have a Coleman RoadTrip grill. Bought a carrying case for it so any crud just falls into the case for later shaking out. I recently cleaned out the grill while bored so now not so much gets into the case.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #36

Greyhawk, We have a Weber Q2000. I wipe it out with paper towels and stow it in the front storage compartment on our 2017 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS or in the bed of my pickup truck. Lately, I switched to a 22" Blackstone griddle. Honestly I have pretty much stopped using the Weber grill and stow it away under the bed. It is clean and has not been used this year. I'll probably leave it home in the future as the Blackstone does everything and you just wipe it down with a paper towel. And, store IT in the front compartment.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #37
Say

Y’all clean your grills? I’m impressed!
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #38

Cleaning Grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say View Post
Y’all clean your grills? I’m impressed!
I have been using Grill Mats for several years. I have a Cuisinart Portable grill for the motorhome and a Sams Club grill at home. The grill mat has eliminated the need to clean them. Before I used the grill mats I tried to clean my Webber Q with Easy Off Oven cleaner. It was too messy.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #39

Believe or it not we do not grill. I have a 5 in 1 cuisinart that does grill. Otherwise that is what I use to grill.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #40

I've got a portable on wheels that I just put in the back of the truck
mkelly is offline   Reply With Quote