Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 PM   #1

What's inside the Mystery Box

I have an Entegra Odyssey 31L, bunk model, similar to the Grayhawk/Redhawks. We've been contemplating swapping out the jacknife sofa for two theater seats/recliners. I went up to storage yesterday to run the gennie and thought it was a good opportunity to check the width dimension to see what I could put in there. Figured I'd take a look to see how the sofa was bolted down to understand what I was getting into. As i peeked under the bottom I remembered that there is a 4" high box (12-15" wide by 18 to 24" deep - trying to recall) under there on the left side. Didn't have time to tear into it, so I thought I'd ask the board if anyone know what that is...could it be the motor for the slide? Assuming I have to leave it in place, do the recliners have clearance underneath so its not an issue? I ask as likely I'll be buying on line and have the seats shipped, and would hate to find out this won't work. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
... Didn't have time to tear into it, so I thought I'd ask the board if anyone know what that is...could it be the motor for the slide? ...
Hi GABob

In my 2014 31FS, that box is a cover for a single electrical junction box and the cables that go into it. This is the spot where the 120V power line for the microwave and wall outlet comes up into the forward slide out. Why Jayco put such a big plywood box over what could be as small as 8 by 10 inches is beyond me. I removed this box and replaced it with a small cover just to make more storage space available under the jackknife.

The motor for the slideout mounted to the coach's floor within a foot of the forward end of the slideout (the far right of the slideout as you face it). It is where you could reach it with an 8" extension to operate it manually if the power went out.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

Scoutmaster, thank you for your comments here. Makes sense to simply make it a smaller cover. Whatever seats I go with I think I'll have to somehow get the dimensions of the bottom structure to make sure it works. From your comment, though, I may just be able to reposition the smaller box as needed if the cabling is long enough.