Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Whats that TAPPING!!??

In my 2017 Greyhawk 29MV....E450 (gas) ... Ever since we bought it (used) I have noticed when accelerating in tow or even not tow mode, a tapping sound from the engine. It only lasts while accelerating, occasionally. If this is a normal sound then someone knows what I mean and can say that and I'll feel so much better. If it's not normal then I have some worrying to do possibly.

The sound mimics the tick you hear when there is a loose valve or rocker (I'm NOT a gearhead and hope I have used the correct terms) and doesn't do it continuously, just certain levels of accelerating.

This engine only has 7000 miles so far and I find it hard to believe this is a valve or rocker issue already but I cringe just a little when I hear it and feel uneasy about whats happening under the hood.

Someone please help me to feel better about what I hearing OR drive that nail in my coffin once and for all.
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #2

Timing chain slap?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

I had an odd intermittent sound from a newish truck. I reported it to the dealer for a warranty repair and they could not duplicate it.

After that, I purchased a small recording device and recorded the noise, returned to the dealer for another appointment, and insisted that the mechanic listen to the recorded noise. Problem found and fixed.

I assume your Greyhawk is still under warranty - maybe playing such a recording of the noise would insure the mechanics would acknowledge the problem and fix it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

Could be low oil level, any leaks under the parking spot??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

Does it change speed with the vehicle speed or engine speed?

Did someone put a zip tie on your driveshaft?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Spark knock comes to mind. You could try running premium fuel and see if it goes away.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #7

Preignition

From what you said it sounds like it's pre-ignition which typically only occurs under load (accelerating, towing). Many vehicles today have this issue to a certain extent. It is supposed to be detected and stopped, although not completely, by a knock sensor. Try a tank of high (91 or better) octane fuel see if it goes away. If it does, that's likely the issue as that is what higher octane fuel is designed to do. You may have a bad knock sensor and since the vehicle is under warranty you might want to have it checked out. Don't tell the dealer that you think you have a bad knock sensor tell them that you hear a noise that bothers you, let them diagnose what the issue is. Typically a valve train noise won't go away when the vehicle is not under load so from what you've described that doesn't sound like the issue. Keep us posted.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
Does it change speed with the vehicle speed or engine speed?

Did someone put a zip tie on your driveshaft?
Best to use the wider and longer ties. Best April Fool's joke on somebody who worships their truck!
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

Check to make sure your spark plugs are properly torqued. Some of those Ford modular engines were bad with spitting out plugs. Also check exhaust manifold bolts for possible exhaust leak. Other guesses are cam phasers, or engine knock. Try pulling the negative terminal off the battery for a minute and then reconnect. This resets the computer and it will re-learn engine parameters for optimal performance. It may re-adjust ignition timing and fuel.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #10

X2 with regard to a possible exhaust leak or plug issue.
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the input, I'll try the fuel upgrade first, and if that doesn't do it then off to the shop it will go.

And ...eh.... nah ... no zip ties LOL

May be a while, as it's under wraps in the driveway and don't have any trips out planned for a few months, AND has a full tank of gas loaded up now (while prices are low) and some Seafoam. But I will update as soon as I can!
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

Was there a nearby Raven?

"While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."
Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #13

X2 on spark knock had that problem, quit running ARCO gas no problems!
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I had an odd intermittent sound from a newish truck. I reported it to the dealer for a warranty repair and they could not duplicate it.

After that, I purchased a small recording device and recorded the noise, returned to the dealer for another appointment, and insisted that the mechanic listen to the recorded noise. Problem found and fixed.

I assume your Greyhawk is still under warranty - maybe playing such a recording of the noise would insure the mechanics would acknowledge the problem and fix it.
So it was found & fixed... what was it?
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
Was there a nearby Raven?

"While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."
Never more!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #16

Timing Knock?
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 AM   #17

I'm really glad you asked about that noise. I have that exact sound coming from my new 2018 MH with a E350 with only 4000 miles on it. Any time I accelerate or pull the toad the noise comes out from under the "dog house" and sounds like the noise you expect from a valve knocking. Now, in my case I actually had it at a Ford truck dealership in Fayetteville, N.C. for a different reason and had a truck mechanic drive it. Unfortunately he drove it without me being with him but on his return said "what noise were you talking about?" So I said THE TAPPING NOISE ON ACCELERATION! He says oh THAT! That's just your injectors, they always make noise like that.... I felt much better about this until I read your post that not too many others hear this..... But NOW, you all have me wondering if he just didn't want to pursue this and just blew me off. I guess it will be another trip to a different Ford Dealer, because it definitely is a disconcerting sound.
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #18

I had a 460 Ford V8 noted for passenger side exhaust header leak which was my case. It's probably either that or timing issue or low octane gas.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGo View Post
In my 2017 Greyhawk 29MV....E450 (gas) ... Ever since we bought it (used) I have noticed when accelerating in tow or even not tow mode, a tapping sound from the engine. It only lasts while accelerating, occasionally. If this is a normal sound then someone knows what I mean and can say that and I'll feel so much better. If it's not normal then I have some worrying to do possibly.

The sound mimics the tick you hear when there is a loose valve or rocker (I'm NOT a gearhead and hope I have used the correct terms) and doesn't do it continuously, just certain levels of accelerating.

This engine only has 7000 miles so far and I find it hard to believe this is a valve or rocker issue already but I cringe just a little when I hear it and feel uneasy about whats happening under the hood.

Someone please help me to feel better about what I hearing OR drive that nail in my coffin once and for all.
Did you buy a bumper to bumper Extended Warranty on
your Greyhawk when you purchased it? That will cover everything less your deductible.

If you don’t have coverage I would suggest calling
Sam’s Club and put their bumper to bumper coverage on it.
They have deductible plans that will fit your needs.

We owned a 2004 29’ Komfort 5th Wheel trailer with a 4 year Extended Warranty plan. After this warranty plan expired we used Sam’s club to extend coverage again for four years.
Soon after putting this insurance on our trailer our refrigerator stopped working. The RV dealership where we purchased the RV 4 years earlier quoted us $2,100. to install a new refer.

We had a $300. deductible plus tax,. plan.

Sam’s wrote a check to the dealership for &1,900. and paid the balance.

Nice people, no hassles
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #20

Tapping

Please keep us informed if you have any luck with this problem and what the cause might be. Meanwhile take a look at this link I found when I googled "Ford V10 pinging"

Pinging V10 - iRV2 Forums
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote