Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

What's this raised metal "hump" on my roof?

OK, I'm new to a MH and was up on my roof just learning all the parts and pieces. I know what everything else is up there (plumbing vents, solar connection, skylights, etc), but there is this raised metal hump that almost looks like a single trailer fender well in shape, sticking out along the side of the roof.

At first I thought maybe a vent for the propane fridge, but that vents out the sidewall of the coach. The range hood vents out the sidewall too. So I'm baffled... It's over the kitchen area. Can anyone tell me?

Here's a image I just grabbed off the Net, it's not my coach but looks similar. It's that white raised hump on the bottom right of the picture.

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #2

It's the refrigerator vent.
Yes, there is also one on the side of the trailer and that one on top, allows for better air flow. If you take the cover off on the side and look up, you will see how it all works.

By the way, it's most likely plastic.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #3

A suggestion would be to take one of the screws out and take it to your favorite hardware store and buy (4) stainless steel screws. These will rust in a few years and eventually stain part of that cover ( but that’s just me ).
Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
It's the refrigerator vent.
Yes, there is also one on the side of the trailer and that one on top, allows for better air flow. If you take the cover off on the side and look up, you will see how it all works.

By the way, it's most likely plastic.
Ahhhh, thanks for the answer, my guess it was for the fridge, it makes more sense, since the fridge is enclosed in a cabinet, so this roof vent lets the heat or propane fumes out.

Do I get a cookie for the correct guess?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ahhhh, thanks for the answer, my guess it was for the fridge, it makes more sense, since the fridge is enclosed in a cabinet, so this roof vent lets the heat or propane fumes out.

Do I get a cookie for the correct guess?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 05-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Actually you are giving us the cookies🐡
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Actually you are giving us the cookies🐡
Would you take my wife, instead of the cookies?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Would you take my wife, instead of the cookies?
Oh Oh...
Attached Thumbnails
angry-old-woman-brandishing-her-450w-166167044.jpg  
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

Question regarding leak

Does anyone know if this fridge vent can cause a leak and wet/damaged wood in the floor of my 154BH. I have water pooling on the roof near this vent and I didn’t know what was under it. The wet floor is directly under this area. All the damage is to the floor in the water tank/pump/hot water heater area under the dinette seat. There are no signs of water leaking in the ceiling or walls. Another thought was maybe water running off the gutter right down onto the window which is also in the area of the damage.
SquirrellyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

I know that we have the same rig and have a bad habit of skimming without reading, so I almost freaked out wondering how your rig could look like that on top. Durp. I fill the recessed holes with whatever goop you have on hand to keep those screws from rusting out. You won't have to remove that cover until it rots away and you break it with your scrub brush anyway.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I know that we have the same rig and have a bad habit of skimming without reading, so I almost freaked out wondering how your rig could look like that on top. Durp.
Just trying to keep you on your toes!!

Quote:
I fill the recessed holes with whatever goop you have on hand to keep those screws from rusting out. You won't have to remove that cover until it rots away and you break it with your scrub brush anyway.
I actually have to get up there in the next few days and I'm going to mount the antenna for my cell booster on the fridge vent, and run the cable down the cavity and into the kitchen cabs.

Someone mentioned replacing those screws with stainless, then there will be nothing to worry about. That's what I'll probably do.

And what's this scrub brush stuff you speak of? Since you're a doctor, don't you have "people" to do that for you???????
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyDan View Post
Does anyone know if this fridge vent can cause a leak and wet/damaged wood in the floor of my 154BH.
Anywhere that there is a hole in the roof, water can come in. You should check that the sealant around the vent is fully in tact. If not, make sure there is no water under the roof. If there is, get it dried out and re-seal. If it is dry, then just seal it up good. I'd recommend Eternabond Tape. Dicor Lap Sealant will also work, but will need to be monitored for crackers.

Unfortunately, water moves easily and takes the path of least resistance. It could be leaking from the back of the RV, but traveling through the wall or ceiling all the way to the front until it finally comes out onto the floor. We had a pool of water on the floor at the end of the kitchen cabinets. There was no water on the floor under the cabinet. Turns out the water was dripping from the hot water line in the half bath of the bunk house. It followed the hot water line all the way until the line hit the floor near the end of the cabinet, then went on the ground and came out.

The best way to find hidden leaks is with a seal test. The tester basically uses powerful fan(s) (usually in the door) to pressurize the interior of the RV. Then they look for air leaking out to the outside.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #13

If you have one of those skylights over the shower they are prone to crack around screws and leak ask me how I know.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
If you have one of those skylights over the shower they are prone to crack around screws and leak ask me how I know.
And they also leak under the lap sealant with no sign of trouble. I actually spray painted the skylight white on my old trailer and now on my new coach. Most would say that is crazy but it helps stop the micro cracks from leaking and more importantly it stops the terrible magnifying glass heat effect in the summer while still allowing light in.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
And they also leak under the lap sealant with no sign of trouble. I actually spray painted the skylight white on my old trailer and now on my new coach. Most would say that is crazy but it helps stop the micro cracks from leaking and more importantly it stops the terrible magnifying glass heat effect in the summer while still allowing light in.
Wouldn't a clear paint work also?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Wouldn't a clear paint work also?
Honestly I painted mine white mostly to stop that direct sunlight in 95 degree weather while tailgating without shade. It did stop some leaking for a while as well so I guess clear might help. I am not sure if that is even a wise move or not to prevent cracking but I don't care, I had to have relief from the boiler room. I tried different reflective shades but the sun destroyed them quickly as well as the Velcro adhesive to keep them in place.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #17

Thanks
SquirrellyDan is offline   Reply With Quote