Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Hey Jeff, This is Jeff from NY, EZ Pass is a transponder thats sends data to the toll booth as you pass by it at speeds anywhere from 5mph to 65mph depending upon where they are. It is a little device about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, usually I put mine on the dashboard of my MH on a piece of Shelf Liner to keep it from sliding around. I hope this helps.
Thanks Jeff. I was only kidding you guys. I'm from Philly but live in the sticks of New Mexico now, but I do know about toll roads and passes.
Have a great one and...
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Hey Jeff, This is Jeff from NY, EZ Pass is a transponder thats sends data to the toll booth as you pass by it at speeds anywhere from 5mph to 65mph depending upon where they are. It is a little device about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, usually I put mine on the dashboard of my MH on a piece of Shelf Liner to keep it from sliding around. I hope this helps.
Thanks Jeff. I was only kidding you guys. I'm from Philly but live in the sticks of New Mexico now, but I do know about toll roads and passes.
Have a great one and...
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #23

I guess I'm stay out of Ohio if I want to save a few bucks! LOL , and I thought NY was bad nickel and dimming us for everything !
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #24

Quote:
I guess I'm stay out of Ohio if I want to save a few bucks! LOL , and I thought NY was bad nickel and dimming us for everything !
If you are westbound from your neck of the woods headed to northern Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc., the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90) is the only expedient way to get across northern Ohio west of Cleveland. If you are not in any hurry at all, there are other routes. Lots of small towns and 35 mph limits!

If you are heading more towards central/southern Indiana and points west you have clear sailing. The only toll road in Ohio is the Ohio Turnpike across the northern part of the state.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #25

Great, thanks for the info!
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #26

My tag worked for the most part last year. I'm wondering if I fried it leaving it in the windshield all summer/winter. Next time I suppose I'll take it with me when I have the rig in storage.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #27

So after talking w/ the folks over at PA EZ Pass, it looks like they're just going to send me a bumper mount tag this time around. That should pretty much solve all my issues.

For those that didn't know (as I didn't), you can request a bumper mount tag.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #28

We had this happen in Florida with the "Sun Pass". It was under the overhang of the Seneca and not read by the reader. Got the notice in the mail and paid the fee with fine. Moved it to low on the windshield and works great. Did the same with the "I-Pass". Used it going to Grand Rapids, this pas week and read just fine.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #29

Thumbs up Toll Booth vs Gray Hawk DS 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Hey Gang,

I'm getting some non-reads going through toll booths. I'm wondering where you guys have your transponders mounted? I'm thinking the cabover bunk would present a challenge, so I mounted it much lower on the windshield that I would if I had a regular car.

Did I mount it too low?

Where is yours mounted?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put mine at the bottom of the windshield ( loose ) about at the middle, made a trip to New Hampshire and went through 2 booths and had no problem at all, booths saw the transponder.
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #30

This is how we do it in Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
plate.jpg  
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #31

EZPASS in the Lone Star State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-in-Houston View Post
This is how we do it in Texas.

I like the idea, but sure looks like an easy target for the one who like to steal other people's stuff, cause they are too lazy to work for what they want.
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #32

I wounder if it would work mounted in roof vent in the front?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #33

It take a special wrench to remove are install.
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #34

I put mine on the dash of my Gray Hawk, was not sure where to put it so l gave it a try on the was to New Hampshire for the weekend, had no problems at all.
US NAVY & ARMY
Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #35

Mounted on the bottom of the front license plate holder. Regular pass placed on dashboard would not work for me in Indiana.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0523.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #36

For Colorado it's just a sticker on the windshield with electronics in it.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Mounted on the bottom of the front license plate holder. Regular pass placed on dashboard would not work for me in Indiana.
Same here !

Old 05-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #38

Because we have property and friends 200 miles from home, we use the same route several times per year. With different rigs.

According to the Official Toll Rates, the more axles, the higher the toll.

On the NY Thruway using EZ-Pass, the toll is always the same. My sedan, SWMBO's truck alone, with my old single-axle trailer or the new double-axle trailer. All charged the same to my EZ-Pass account!

On topic: All my EZ-Pass tags are mounted on the windshields in the vicinity of the rear-view mirror. Haven't had read problems in years. (The first-generation tags had issues when the battery was low).

I can understand how a Class C's overhead bunk can cause problems with the RF signal needed to read the tag, necessitating the front mount.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:58 PM   #39

Hi all!
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I could add some new info!

Called NY EZ-Pass right after Christmas to order my new tag. They issued a specific tag (2 axles / 6 tires: Over 7,000 LBS) It's an ivory (not blue) interior tag. It arrived today.

It shows in my tag list as (2Ax:Recreational Vehicle/ Motor Home: Dual Tire)

For right now I told them I was not towing anything. There is another form / process if I am going to be towing.

The paperwork indicates this is a "Tag specific plan attached to a specific vehicle" it can only be transferred to vehicles of the same type.

I will try placing it in the same spot some of you already indicated and see how it reads before mounting more permanently.

Have a great week!
2004 Jeep Liberty
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #40

One of my duties is to install rfid readers on commercial and neighborhood gate systems. The directions are same for all of them I have installed in the last 20 years. The manufacture sends directions with every reader that tells you where to install the particular tag depending on the manufacturer . Some attach to the front plate, some get stuck to the driver's side headlite, and some attach to the inside of the windshield. The rfid reader is supposed to be mounted at approx the same height as the tag. The reader is also supposed to be tilted on the same plane as the surface that the tag is attatched to. You can see how a reader set up for a big truck may not work as well on a compact car. When people start attatching tags willy nilly, is when we have problems with the systems we install/service.
Do these passes come with directions on where they are to be installed?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote