Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

In the Senica I mounted it 4" above the dash, in the Jeep toad I mounted it behind the mirror ..

Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad Jeep Unlimited
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

A buddy of mine had a class C and kept getting bad reads no matter where he placed the transponder. He eventually got the bumper mount and hasn't had any issues since.

micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

On my 31FS we just leave it on the center dash under the mirror here in NY , hasn't missed yet!
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Put a little piece of shelf liner under it and it won't slide around!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

If you take the one out of your car. It will work! But if you send in for one by your registration you will be paying double the toll amount in NY! The classes go by axles and height!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
A buddy of mine had a class C and kept getting bad reads no matter where he placed the transponder. He eventually got the bumper mount and hasn't had any issues since.
Just remember that if you have a separate bumper/license plate-mount transponder and another pass in your toad (if motorhome towing), you need to isolate your toad's pass when towing. Supposedly two passes in one combination vehicle can cause strange reads and inaccurate tolls. I was told you need to wrap the toad's up in several layers of aluminum foil and put it in glovebox or console. This came to light after I got my Seneca and was worried about pass placement, so I called about a license plate transponder. My last two class C MHs had windows in the overhead and my pass was placed there when traveling and worked every time.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #17

Just to keep it straight, without towing anything. In NY, if you take the easy pass out of your car it will work? But if you send into Ezpass for a new one based on your registration, the toll charges will be double! Because the height of the cab is higher than the car, same number of axles.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

What the heck is an EZpass anyway??
Out here in the wild west, roads are mostly free. Hahaha.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #19

Hey Jeff, This is Jeff from NY, EZ Pass is a transponder thats sends data to the toll booth as you pass by it at speeds anywhere from 5mph to 65mph depending upon where they are. It is a little device about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, usually I put mine on the dashboard of my MH on a piece of Shelf Liner to keep it from sliding around. I hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Just to keep it straight, without towing anything. In NY, if you take the easy pass out of your car it will work? But if you send into Ezpass for a new one based on your registration, the toll charges will be double! Because the height of the cab is higher than the car, same number of axles.
Although I live in Ohio (an E-ZPass state) I have I-Pass's from Illinois since they had passes there long before Ohio adopted E-ZPass. I have family in IL and travel there regularly, so the pass is a real time and money-saver.

My account has two passes assigned and 4 vehicle "registered" to use those passes. You can change them around between vehicles as you see fit. I spoke to Illinois and they had no issues with my passes being "shared" in my MH when traveling. And when I use it here in Ohio (which does not have Open Road Tolling) the toll booths have a height sensor and know the MH is over a certain height and charge my account the higher toll rate. And the readers usually count the axles correctly, but as I said in an earlier post sometimes it "misses" an axle and only counts 3. Better for me!

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote