Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2022, 07:07 PM   #41
Site Team

We don't have one, but friends of our do, and they are all on the upper center inside edge of the windshield. I let NY send me a toll bill in the mail, for the infrequent times we drive on the Thruway. It would take us years to use up the initial deposit on the EZ Pass account.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #42

We have had problems with our NY EZPass being read in our 2018 Greyhawk. In Pennsylvania on the Turnpike, there are still several entrances with toll gates which raise when the EZPass is read. It's very embarrassing sitting at a gate that won't rise because the EZPass wasn't read and there is a line of disgruntled drivers behind me waiting for me to go through. I may have to opt for the bumper mount and install it when the route is via a toll road.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #43

I have a license plate mount. I didn't like it there, so I moved it behind the bug deflector on the hood. It's mounted with 3M super strength molding tape. Its impossible to see, even when standing very close. It always works at every toll booth.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1344.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 AM   #44

I mounted it high on the wind shield next to my mirror, just like in my daily driver. It has never failed to be read in this position.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
One of my duties is to install rfid readers on commercial and neighborhood gate systems. The directions are same for all of them I have installed in the last 20 years. The manufacture sends directions with every reader that tells you where to install the particular tag depending on the manufacturer . Some attach to the front plate, some get stuck to the driver's side headlite, and some attach to the inside of the windshield. The rfid reader is supposed to be mounted at approx the same height as the tag. The reader is also supposed to be tilted on the same plane as the surface that the tag is attatched to. You can see how a reader set up for a big truck may not work as well on a compact car. When people start attatching tags willy nilly, is when we have problems with the systems we install/service.
Do these passes come with directions on where they are to be installed?
While its clearly a tag for a large vehicle (truck / RV) the instructions are for a car / SUV (even the pictures to illustrate) to mount behind the rear view mirror (I don't have one) just below the top tinting of the windshield (I don't have either)
Lower in the windshield seems to provide a better line of sight than where they suggest placing it which is obstructed by the top bunk.

It might be worth experimenting.
2004 Jeep Liberty
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Maybe I should call PA EZPass and get them to switch my interior transponder to one of their bumper mount varieties?
Bumper mounts don't work. I have a bumper mount and have had nothing but trouble
dbraas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:06 AM   #47

We’re in Houston and have a Jayco Redhawk 24B. I recently had the same question for Harris County Toll Rd., Authority (HCTRA). In our case we have a rearview mirror in the Ford E-450. They told me right behind the mirror on the passenger side would be fine. If one didn’t have a mirror basically the center of the windshield about 4 to 5 inches down would be perfect. I was concerned that the cab over might interfere with the equipment that reads the EZ tag but the lady said it definitely can read it from the angle and distance that it’s located. And if it shouldn’t they just pick you up by your license plate on the back of the unit. Hope that helps. That was our finding and it hasn’t caused any problems
Snachlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #48

I keep it in the dashboard compartment and just grab it at the toll booth and hold it by the windshield. I didn’t want to mount it and keeps it out of sight. Always works.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #49

Hello all, just got a Florida SunPass and see some rv owners are having a hard time placing them, I haven’t tried mine yet but was looking at placing it about 8” or so above the dash in the middle of my 2017 Jayco Red hawk, any more advice out there?
Rerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #50

Bottom center of dashboard and it hasn't missed a toll in 20k miles!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220914_115855994_HDR.jpg  
2004 Jeep Liberty
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
In the Senica I mounted it 4" above the dash, in the Jeep toad I mounted it behind the mirror ..
Just wondering when you go through the toll towing the jeep do you not pay the toll twice?
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextChapter View Post
Bottom center of dashboard and it hasn't missed a toll in 20k miles!

Same here I just tossed it up on the dash. It works just fine there
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
Just wondering when you go through the toll towing the jeep do you not pay the toll twice?
I wrap my toad's I-Pass in foil and put it in the center console. The toll readers count the axles and charge accordingly.

I used to just move my pass into the Seneca, but inconsistent reads (especially in Indiana) were solved by my license plate-mount I-Pass. But now I have to "hide" my toad's pass.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #54

Mine was spotty. Called the 800 # and got a new one free. I don't have an overhang in my Jeep so just have it hidden behind the rear view mirror.

They were nice and said they sometimes fail and did not have send old one back and they changed my online number.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
NJ wouldn't give me a transponder for a motorhome; PA would. So I went w/ them.
I have a NJ ezpass for my rig. Mounted it just like mu car, center behind rear view mirror. Works fine.
redhawkwidow is offline   Reply With Quote