Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Where do you mount your EZ Pass?

Hey Gang,

I'm getting some non-reads going through toll booths. I'm wondering where you guys have your transponders mounted? I'm thinking the cabover bunk would present a challenge, so I mounted it much lower on the windshield that I would if I had a regular car.

Did I mount it too low?

Where is yours mounted?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

Maybe I should call PA EZPass and get them to switch my interior transponder to one of their bumper mount varieties?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I have mine mounted down low center. Just above dash. pick your own spot with less distraction. Some states are not as forgiven for out of state E Z pass holders. Each state runs their own E Z pass Dept.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

NJ wouldn't give me a transponder for a motorhome; PA would. So I went w/ them.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

I had the best response by locating it high on the wind shield just like on a car.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

I figured if I put it that high, the high speed lanes would miss the transponder b/c of the overhead. No?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

My Florida SunPass I mounted low center on the Redhawk. Works every time.
I taped it on first to make sure it would work before sticking it in place permanently. Works on the bridges and the overhead toll readers on the toll ways.

Charlie, Meg and Corky the Maltese Dog
2016 Redhawk 29XK "Corky's House"
Freeport, FL
corky111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky111111 View Post
My Florida SunPass I mounted low center on the Redhawk. Works every time.
I taped it on first to make sure it would work before sticking it in place permanently. Works on the bridges and the overhead toll readers on the toll ways.

This is about where I have mine too. Except its missing tolls now; I guess I have to call it in.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

[QUOTE=corky111111;383481]My Florida SunPass I mounted low center on the Redhawk. Works every time.

On my Seneca I keep my pass mounted in the same place as Corky's. Works every time on regular gated lanes and also on Open Road toll readers. I normally keep the pass in my toad when not traveling and move to the MH when traveling and towing. I have extra strips mounted in the Seneca and just move it over. A couple of times I forgot to move it back to the toad when we arrived at a destination that had toll roads in the area. Embarrassing!

I have noticed that occasionally the readers undercount the number of axles when towing car, fortunately I have never been overcharged. Oh well, they get plenty out of us since we have tall vehicles!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
I just place mine loose on the dashboard. Always works.

alvinator
2016 Greyhawk 29MV
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

In the Senica I mounted it 4" above the dash, in the Jeep toad I mounted it behind the mirror ..
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

A buddy of mine had a class C and kept getting bad reads no matter where he placed the transponder. He eventually got the bumper mount and hasn't had any issues since.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #13

On my 31FS we just leave it on the center dash under the mirror here in NY , hasn't missed yet!
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Put a little piece of shelf liner under it and it won't slide around!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

If you take the one out of your car. It will work! But if you send in for one by your registration you will be paying double the toll amount in NY! The classes go by axles and height!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
A buddy of mine had a class C and kept getting bad reads no matter where he placed the transponder. He eventually got the bumper mount and hasn't had any issues since.
Just remember that if you have a separate bumper/license plate-mount transponder and another pass in your toad (if motorhome towing), you need to isolate your toad's pass when towing. Supposedly two passes in one combination vehicle can cause strange reads and inaccurate tolls. I was told you need to wrap the toad's up in several layers of aluminum foil and put it in glovebox or console. This came to light after I got my Seneca and was worried about pass placement, so I called about a license plate transponder. My last two class C MHs had windows in the overhead and my pass was placed there when traveling and worked every time.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #17

Just to keep it straight, without towing anything. In NY, if you take the easy pass out of your car it will work? But if you send into Ezpass for a new one based on your registration, the toll charges will be double! Because the height of the cab is higher than the car, same number of axles.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

What the heck is an EZpass anyway??
Out here in the wild west, roads are mostly free. Hahaha.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #19

Hey Jeff, This is Jeff from NY, EZ Pass is a transponder thats sends data to the toll booth as you pass by it at speeds anywhere from 5mph to 65mph depending upon where they are. It is a little device about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, usually I put mine on the dashboard of my MH on a piece of Shelf Liner to keep it from sliding around. I hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateNY-31FS View Post
Just to keep it straight, without towing anything. In NY, if you take the easy pass out of your car it will work? But if you send into Ezpass for a new one based on your registration, the toll charges will be double! Because the height of the cab is higher than the car, same number of axles.
Although I live in Ohio (an E-ZPass state) I have I-Pass's from Illinois since they had passes there long before Ohio adopted E-ZPass. I have family in IL and travel there regularly, so the pass is a real time and money-saver.

My account has two passes assigned and 4 vehicle "registered" to use those passes. You can change them around between vehicles as you see fit. I spoke to Illinois and they had no issues with my passes being "shared" in my MH when traveling. And when I use it here in Ohio (which does not have Open Road Tolling) the toll booths have a height sensor and know the MH is over a certain height and charge my account the higher toll rate. And the readers usually count the axles correctly, but as I said in an earlier post sometimes it "misses" an axle and only counts 3. Better for me!