Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

where the heck is the water filter?

We have a new to us 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29 ME and are trying to sanitize fresh water tank so we can start traveling. The owner's manual has info. about the water filter but doesn't say where it's located. Where is it?
M.A. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

I think someone said look under bathroom vanity.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

On the 2015 it's behind this panel in the back storage compartment
Attached Thumbnails
20180429_204958.jpg  
Greyhawk 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

In our 2018 29MV, the filter is in the bathroom cabinet under the sink.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

I found the access panel where you showed it in your picture. Now, we are looking at the filter and wondering if it's hard to take out and replace. Have you replaced your filter or do you take it to a RV mechanic or service center? We are newbies so I'm sorry if this question seems so basic.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

The motorhome should have come with a plastic tool (like an oil filter wrench) that you use to loosen the filter housing. Just be careful when removing since it will be full of water- there are some electronic components in that same area (slide relays I think) that you probably wouldn't want to get wet. I had my wife hold a kitchen pot underneath it while I removed it to catch the spills.

Once it's off, the filter is inside and you can replace it. I removed mine for winterization.

When you put it back, please test your fresh water system to make sure you don't have a leak near the filter. When I removed mine, I inadvertently also loosened one of the fittings on the fresh water line adjacent to the filter. When I put it back together, I saw that it was leaking fresh water once I pressurized the system by turning the water pump on. All I had to do was hand tighten that loose fitting.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #7

Edit- We have a 2017 ME and the water filter is behind the compartment pictured in an earlier post. There are four black phillips screws to remove to take the panel off.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

We had our dealer remove ours and put in a bypass and now we use a stand-alone filter on the outside of the coach so we don't have to go in there and deal with it, you may even be able to get adapters to use the one you have
Attached Thumbnails
20180430_171802.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

We have a 29 ME it is behind that compartment on the 2015. I ended up making an access panel for the filter
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #10

On my 2012 3100SS it is behind the panel in the rear storage compartment. A real PITA to get to. You have to empty the storage compartment, crawl in there and remove about 4 screws to get the panel off, the filter is behind that. Only did that one time, after that I bypassed the filter and use and external in hose filter. Much easier!
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepatm View Post
Edit- We have a 2017 ME and the water filter is behind the compartment pictured in an earlier post. There are four black phillips screws to remove to take the panel off.

I put Hinges on mine so I could open a
nd close............. such a nasty place to put a filter especially at 72 crawling into the area to get to the filter
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

We located the water filter on our Greyhawk 29Me behind a panel in the storage bay, just like you said. Now we're trying to get the filter housing off. Tried to use the spanner wrench but can't make it budge. Should I be turning it to the left? I'm afraid of breaking something. I imagine this is the first time it's been removed.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

Yes righty tighty lefty Loosey
Old 05-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #14

yes, as someone already said.. left loose, right tight. In other words looking at it from the bottom up, you should be turning it counter clockwise.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #15

Bypass

Ditto on the Bypass. I am in a 2015 29ME. There is no way in the world it is worth it to work on a filter in that space. You basically have to empty the entire storage bay before removing several screws to pull back the false wall and then change a relatively useless filter.

Do yourself a massive favour, put in the bypass and forget about it. Although while you are back there putting in the bypass... Bring some metal mesh and a can of rodent repelling expanding foam. There is a hole back there big enough for the raccoons to crawl through.

And if you do decide you want that filter, in that location... Put in a bypass anyway. Otherwise you will need a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze to fill that chamber in the winter.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote