Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Where to dump fresh water tanks

Sorry for another basic question - I'm getting the hang of it. My Redhawk has a 40 gal fresh water tank and, if I'm at a campground and the tank is full, how do I dump that when I'm ready to leave. Do I just open the low point drains and let the water run out at the campsite? Or do I try to empty the fresh tank into the grey tank and empty that into the dumpstation. We're going on our first trip next week and I'd rather be embarrassed as infrequently as possible! Thanks again for the help.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #2

I dump them out when we get home, a little better ride!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #3

Since it's clean water I just let it run.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Sorry for another basic question - I'm getting the hang of it. My Redhawk has a 40 gal fresh water tank and, if I'm at a campground and the tank is full, how do I dump that when I'm ready to leave. Do I just open the low point drains and let the water run out at the campsite? Or do I try to empty the fresh tank into the grey tank and empty that into the dumpstation. We're going on our first trip next week and I'd rather be embarrassed as infrequently as possible! Thanks again for the help.

If I’m done dumping black and grey and won’t need water on the drive home, I open the low point drains as I leave the dump station and leave a trail of clean water as I drive.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
If I’m done dumping black and grey and won’t need water on the drive home, I open the low point drains as I leave the dump station and leave a trail of clean water as I drive.
We've done the same. Bet the Kia appreciates it.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

I use a lot of the left over water tin the black tank. I add a lot of water to help the dump process. Then I add clear water in the black tank. Then I open the low point drain. Usually it is empty before I leave camp.

If you are not familiar with black tank health, you should always add about 10% of tank volume of fresh water into the tank after you empty it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #7

When we owned our Greyhawk, we always kept the fresh water tank at least 1/3 full. Most often it was half filled or more. I would leave it filled until the next trip. Then I would drain it in the driveway or at the storage lot and then re-fill with fresh water.

When we owned our Hybrid TT, we drained the fresh water tank after every trip. This left just a little bit of water in the tank. I had to remove the tank for floor repairs after about 5 years and found the bottom of the fresh water tank to be absolutely disgusting. Fortunately, we never drank out of it. By leaving just a little bit of water in the tank, algae and mildew can grow very easily.

The fresh water tank in our Motorhome looked very clean when we traded it in after 8 years of ownership. Leaving the tank 1/3 or more filled seemed to keep algae and mildew away.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #8

Thanks All. Good suggestions. It's amazing how much stuff there is to learn about this!
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

If you are going to a full hook up campsite suggest you only fill the tank 1/3 to 1/2 before you leave. If boondocking then you will need more water. I always have water in my fresh water tank. Comes in handy.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

I only drain fresh during winterization. The rest of the time I always leave it 1/3-1/2 full.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #11

I was pulled over on I-90 by a state trooper in NE Ohio to see what I was leaking. She just wanted to check and let me go on my way, sounds like they get called on this a lot.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

Several states and several campgrounds have different rules. However, I do believe you should review your posted rules in your campground before letting anything leak onto the ground. I have been called out on it before (South Dakota COE). Additionally, I have been stopped draining the FW Tank while driving and was told to close it (Illinois).

So it goes.....

Sometimes it better to seek forgiveness than permission?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

I always travel with about 10 gallons in my FW tank so we can use the bathroom, wash hands etc. enroute to a destination. We mostly camp where there is water. I fill the tank upon arrival at any campsite just in case the water supply is interrupted while camping. Prior to leaving I use as much water as necessary to help flush my black / gray tanks leaving my travel amount in the FW tank.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #14

FYI, it is completely unnecessary to drain the fresh water tank while travelling. You may need to use water while travelling. Open the drain valve when you get home and are prepping the coach to store.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote