Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #1

Which batteries are best

Our motorhome still has the original batteries that came with it, it is a 2008. We will replacing and after looking there are a lot of choices out there. What would be a good choice to install,thanks.
Gillsgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! We've always had good luck with Interstate brand batteries. Easy to find (at least in our area) and a lot of places sell them. If you do an internet search, I think you'll find there are about six? or so manufacturers of batteries, they just brand them with different labels. Just my .02 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Team

I get mine at O'reillys Auto. I say anywhere that is a nationwide provider so if you have a problem you can get the warranty adjusted.

Get the best battery you can afford. Most only give a 36 month pro-rated offer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

We purchase our batteries at the local Costco. They have both the 12 and 6 volt deep cycle batteries for the coach.
We haven't had the need to replace the two chassis starting batteries for the Duramax diesel but hope when we do they will also have those available for purchase.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

W*mart. Two in the TV and two in the TT.

Had a starting issue a few years ago with the TV. They tested and replaced both their batteries with brand new batteries. No questions and no charge.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #6

If I were you I would be looking for a AGM deep cycle batteries for the coach. If you have an even number of batteries, it is a good idea to go to 6v batteries instead of 12v batteries and just wire 2 in series to get you back to 12v. These will last longer and give you more amp hours than running with 12v batteries. Avoid at all costs going to your everyday auto parts store for batteries (Pep Boys, autozone, etc) the markup on these batteries are HUGE. It would benefit you to find a company who sells batteries to large commercial clients. Companies like Battery Systems or Interstate. I would say call Battery Systems, but you dont have one in your area so find an Interstate. Now, dont go buy an interstate from a parts store, I am saying find the actual interstate company who primarily gets fleet contracts with companies. In many cases, these battery companies also have a small storefront and can get you batteries for much cheaper than you can get them from a parts store...especially if you are buying multiple at a time. In some cases, they may have batteries that they can sell you at a good discount because they have been on the shelf for a while (they keep them charged) but the large companies they do business with dont want it...they want a brand new one. This battery is still good, it has just been on a shelf for a few months. I have done this in the past and got a great deal on an 8D battery that I put in my old 5th wheel. That battery kept that rig alive forever!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

It depends on how mush you want to spend. The 6v golf cart batteries a great idea. I had two on my TT from Costco (which met every spec of a Trojan for way less money) and even after a 4 day trip boondocking they still had 12.3v. Fully charged they would get up to 12.8v and that was 24hrs after the "float" charge had dissipated. I had to go a different direction in my Class A because the storage compartment I was putting my secondary battery bank was unventilated so I went with Full River AGMs. If I had ventilation I would have saved some $$ and gone with the flooded cell batteries.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

I have had a RV for 35 years and have tried all sorts of Battery options.
WalMart has good selection of not so great quality batteries but good warranty
and no questions asked when replacing. Just don't let the full replacement
warranty expire.
We have gone to the largest AGM 27 units for the last 2 Motorhomes.
Expensive but worth the cost.
I have a local source for used ones coming out of Back-up power systems
usually 1 year old around $60.00. They have worked for 3 years now
Perfect for boats and Tractors RVs. Never used them for diesel
Starting.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

I do not know which brands are best and this being the first motorhome purchase after some 35 yrs of towing trailers and moving up to the AGM type of battery for RV use. I am absolutely the AGM is in everyway superior to the lead acid types, bar none. They are more expensive but over time they are not. They will outlast by a factor of 2-3 times longer and hold their charge with less than 10% loss even over the course of 3-4 months with a charge. It is recommended to use a small maintenance charger to offset the parasititic drain on your coach battery due to propane, CO devices that are constantly on and sometimes going inside and turning on the lights. About 5 years ago I purchased a size 24 from Cabelas which I used on my boat. I have now replaced the 23XM battery with this same battery because the 23XM battery is simply basic and not good at all. I am currently using on my boat a new AGM 60 amp hour from VMAX which is light weight and appears to be quite good. These AGM batteries can be recharged hundreds of times from virtually no output to full charge without loss of strength. They are simply worth the investment. There is no adding water and they are sealed and capable of operation if for whatever reason you wanted to turn them upside down. The only down side is the cost but in reality you will go thru 3 lead acid batteries before you go thru one AGM type.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

What batteries are you replacing? You will have the chassis battery to start the engine and the house or coach battery that powers your living quarters.

For the chassis battery you can probably go with any name brand that meets your requirements as they don't lead a very demanding life.

For the house battery the best brands are Trojan, Crown, Surrette-Rolls and probably some others that aren't coming to mind right now. Trojan are probably the most popular and proven the T-105 is a great 6 volt battery. You can't go wrong with two of those. Or if you have room you can upgrade to the T-125 or T-145 for more capacity.

If you want maintenance free then go with AGM. You will have to add distilled water to a normal flooded battery once in a while. A few times a year. I would measure your battery bay and stuff as much Amp hours as you can cram in there. Unless you always camp with plug ins then just get a single 12v battery of whatever brand you like will suffice.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #11

We replaced the chassis ones, we got them at oreillys
Gillsgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

I run Odyssey batteries, they are expensive about $325 each, I have 2 that are over 10 years old and still in daily use. in fact I have one I took out of my car that now operates my drive thru cattle gate and its been on there for 5+ years no issues at all, its being charged with a 10 watt 12"x12" solar panel.

ODYSSEY battery - Official Manufacturer's Site
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote