Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Which Batteries for Boondocking?

We mostly use camps with hookups, but we are also close to gov't parks where we need to boondock.

What batteries should we order with our new Greyhawk 20 MV?

We are brand new to inverters, converters, etc. so please go easy on me.

We have a generator but what do we do about powering a c-pap machine; using the house lights, etc. Can we make coffee? etc.

We understand using the generator for everything but that I allowed only 6 hours per day.

Thanks for any help with this.
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Hard to beat Trojan T-105's - They are 6 volt batteries so you would need 2 of them, wired in series. This will substantially increase your ability to store power over what you have now. If you are using your converter, you are on shore power so you are already set anyway in those cases. When you are off the grid though, and you need 120 AC to run stuff that's where the inverter comes into play. Items that use a lot of power, like a typical coffee maker will kill your batteries pretty fast. Maybe get a percolator or a french press and make your coffee using your propane. The key point is you really need to calculate what your power requirements are *first* and then work your way back from there. Ask yourself how many days you will be 'unplugged' and once you've calculated how much power all of your devices use - in terms of Amp hours required for 1 day - you then have enough basic information to start looking at battery capacity needed, for the number of days you plan on being unplugged. if you want to extend that even further with solar, or if your generator (of unknown size) is up to the task of fully recharging you in the time you are allowed to use it. Unless your generator is very wimpy, you should have no problems fully charging the 2 batteries I mentioned first within that 6 hour window you have to work with. Just a few things to consider.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

How old is your C-Pap machine? Mine has a 12V power plug along side the 120V power plug. If you can use 12V, it would be best just to install a 12V outlet next to your bed. To convert from 12VDC to 120VAC is very inefficient. I have never taken mine camping. But with an amp meter you could figure out what the power draw is, then decide on a battery system. You might be fine with a single 12V that can be charged daily, or you might need a dual battery system.

House lights work off of 12V, so that is a none issue.

Coffee, your best off not using electric. Best off finding a non electric method.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Site Team

I am not sure, but you need to check the battery area in the Greyhawk. I know that there are some members that have said that he space (above and around) the battery is very limited and may be an issue for bigger batteries.

I am sure that some of the members that have upgraded their Greyhawk batteries will jump in here.

Depending on what size your batteries are (Ah) amp hour rating, you may be limited as to what you can run off your inverter.

If at all possible you do not want to run the coffee maker or the microwave off your batteries as they are power hogs. Your fridge, if it is a Residential model will kill your batteries over night. If it is a LP model, run it off LP.

The CPAPmachine, if it has a power transformer get the 12VDC conversion cord for it. Mine, when I use it, hate that thing, runs off the batteries overnight with no issues.

Coffee, I use the Mr Coffee, coffee pot without electricity. I took a Tupperware 2 cup bowl that fit in the Mr Coffee basket and drilled 2 1/16" small tiny holes in the bottom of it (see picture). I put the filter in the basket, add coffee grounds and insert the Tupperware bowl into the basket on top of the grounds. Boil 2 cups of water on the stove and fill the cup. Takes the same amount of time and used no electricity... best part the coffee tastes the same.

You can't go wrong with the Trojan batteries

Don
Attached Thumbnails
COFFEE POT - Cordless Mr Coffee Modification.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #5

My cousin has a 2015 Greyhawk and mounted the second battery in the rear storage compartment. He's been happy with the 12v but I've had better experience with 6v as 95% of our camping is boondocking. I've been VERY pleased with Lifelines in the past both in the boat and trailer.. so I converted my Redhawk to 6v's see below..

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32374

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
We mostly use camps with hookups, but we are also close to gov't parks where we need to boondock.

What batteries should we order with our new Greyhawk 20 MV?

We are brand new to inverters, converters, etc. so please go easy on me.

We have a generator but what do we do about powering a c-pap machine; using the house lights, etc. Can we make coffee? etc.

We understand using the generator for everything but that I allowed only 6 hours per day.

Thanks for any help with this.

As others have said - check your existing battery compartment. There's NO room in our 31FK for anything much beyond one Group 27 battery.

You didn't mention budget. Batteries can go from *ouch* to "Oh my Jiminy - I didn't pay that much for my first car!!!"

If you have infinite cash, then look into Lithiums.
If you have finite cash but a fatter wallet than mine then it's Rolls/Surette and Trojans.
If those prices still make you wince, see if "RV AGM Batteries" will work.

As for how much battery do you need - that really depends.
We can make it one night - with medium use of stuff (TV, DVD player, 'fridge, furnace, lights). We need to run the genny the next morning to charge our single battery back up.

Use less juice and you can go longer.

Typically, 6V "Golf Cart" Batteries have more Amp-Hours, meaning you got more power in them. But now you need room for 2 - to get back to 12V.

Coffee pot? Ugh - the ones I've seen aren't light on power. They're not camper friendly. You could probably get away with it, but I wouldn't.

House lights - yeah. Even more so if you have LEDs.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

I'm in agreement with pconroy. Minimize your use of AC/DC when boondocking. Use your propane when you can.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #8

We've used a percolator coffee pot on the propane stove top for years. Quiet and efficient.
We use the standard drip coffee maker when shore or generator power is available.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
I'm in agreement with pconroy. Minimize your use of AC/DC when boondocking. Use your propane when you can.
X2!

When boondocking, electricity is the costliest resource.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

We found the downside to using 2 6v batteries when one of ours shorted out. Normally (with 2 12v batteries), I would just cut one of the batteries out of the circuit, and I would still have battery power. Can't do that with 2 6v batteries... just something to think about.

Best solution that we found was to use a portable solar panel, that just set up outside... no installation required.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #11

On our 2015 Greyhawk 29mv, installed two Interstate 6v. batteries with Easy Fill hose setup, in storage bay next to the original 12v. slide compartment, had the battery floor reinforced for the extra weight, works great with way more juice for dry camping.
Use a stove top coffee pot, replaced all the non LED bulbs in the bedroom, microwave, kitchen counter lights, shower etc, just ceiling lights come with LED's btw., to save more juice.
We carry a quiet Honda 2000 generator and plug directly into that after a few days, run it for 6hrs. or so, each day thereafter, to maintain the batteries, will not power the AirrConditioner, but Onan will run that if necessary, but noise from Onan is more than the 2000 generator, so camping courtesy negates using onboard generator too much, never at night in camprounds.
We can boondock up to a week this way, as long as I can get fresh water to refill our tank.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I am not sure, but you need to check the battery area in the Greyhawk. I know that there are some members that have said that he space (above and around) the battery is very limited and may be an issue for bigger batteries.

I am sure that some of the members that have upgraded their Greyhawk batteries will jump in here.

Depending on what size your batteries are (Ah) amp hour rating, you may be limited as to what you can run off your inverter.

If at all possible you do not want to run the coffee maker or the microwave off your batteries as they are power hogs. Your fridge, if it is a Residential model will kill your batteries over night. If it is a LP model, run it off LP.

The CPAPmachine, if it has a power transformer get the 12VDC conversion cord for it. Mine, when I use it, hate that thing, runs off the batteries overnight with no issues.

Coffee, I use the Mr Coffee, coffee pot without electricity. I took a Tupperware 2 cup bowl that fit in the Mr Coffee basket and drilled 2 1/16" small tiny holes in the bottom of it (see picture). I put the filter in the basket, add coffee grounds and insert the Tupperware bowl into the basket on top of the grounds. Boil 2 cups of water on the stove and fill the cup. Takes the same amount of time and used no electricity... best part the coffee tastes the same.

You can't go wrong with the Trojan batteries

Don
Holy cow, that coffee machine hack is genius. All hail Mustang!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #13

Hot Coffee in the Morning, we have a Jayco 26rks and when we are not pugged in we use a 12 cup perculator for coffee heating it on the gas stove, it works great, we use the filters that close up on the top which seems to cut down on the grinds. If you want to feel like your cooking by the campfire here is a great perculator that can be bought here or on Amazon for about $25.00 I like it because I can change the blend or type of coffee I want in the morning... works great..... GSI Outdoors Enamelware Percolators and Boiler : Cabela's
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #14

How do you put a 12 volt cigarette lighter in your RV? That would operate my CPap machine.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote