Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #1

which tires get snow chains?

Hi all!

Will be traveling thru Oregon toward Utah over Thanksgiving in our 2012 Greyhawk 31DS. I've driven it 20,000 miles and up and down mountains, but this will be the first time there's a chance to hit serious snow in some of the I-84 passes. So what's the expression? Proper planning prevents piss-poor performance? I'm buying snow chains and wanted your advice.

Which of the Greyhawk's 6 tires would you put snow chains on?

I think yes on the front tires, and yes on the outer rear dually tires. Looks like doing the inner rear dually tires is extra-difficult and extra-expensive.

Would love anyone's first-hand experience or product recommendations. Currently have two pairs of these Super Z6 Cable Tire Chains in my amazon shopping cart.

Thanks so much!

C:
brooklynchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #2

Outside duals. I've only seen chains on the front for front wheel drive or on all 4 for 4 wheel drive. I personally have never seen chains on steer tires on semi's, wreckers, fire & rescue vehicles or snow removal equipment.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #3

No need for chains on steer tires. As Grumpy said outer drive tires only...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:38 PM   #4

thanks, grumpy and Marcm!
brooklynchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #5

We carry Snow Chains for our Seneca, because many states require you to have them on-board during specific months during the winter.

Now the fact that we have them has no relation to our desire to use them. I have put chains on many other vehicles over the years and have broken a few chains over the road too. Every time I broke a chain, it caused damage to the vehicle fender... even on a 4 Wheel drive lifted SUV.

We are not going to take that chance with our Seneca... Instead we hunker down in our Seneca and wait a day or two until the roads are clear.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
CAG

Slopoke covered it but I would plan extra time for extra stops because if it snows you have to deal with that, slick roads, and semis doing 75 on those roads. Ain't doing that. First place to tie up is where I would be.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchuck View Post
Hi all!

I think yes on the front tires, and yes on the outer rear dually tires.
All due respect from someone in heavy snow country, if you don't know which tires to chain, you making a big mistake thinking about driving in heavy snow or ice.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
All due respect from someone in heavy snow country, if you don't know which tires to chain, you making a big mistake thinking about driving in heavy snow or ice.
Yeah - I don't want to pile on or add insult to injury - but chaining up tires requires you to know what you're doing; to have some experience.

I've lived in snow country most of my life. I even have chains in the RV.
My plan is to NEVER use them.

If the weather's that bad, that the Chains Required notice goes up, I'm stopping where I'm at and sitting things out. I brought my "house" with me.

Outside duals.
Practice, practice, practice before you go.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #9

I just want to thank you "snow experienced" people. I carry chains as emergency use only and have been ridiculed because I just don't want to drive in snow. Of course I don't give a damn what people say but it has made me wonder if I am being overly cautious. And, I've driven in snow up in Tahoe for years, and still prefer to stay put! People just don't know how to drive in snow!
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
People just don't know how to drive in snow!
This is it. I'm more leery of getting hit than hitting someone.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
People just don't know how to drive in snow!
Especially those with 4 WD.....they forget that doesn't help when they have to stop.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Especially those with 4 WD.....they forget that doesn't help when they have to stop.
Amen!!!

Lord, the FIRST thing I taught my kids on how to drive in the snow was how to SLOW, STOP and TURN properly.

Now, as someone else pointed out, it just means I'll be hit by some other bozo...
Old 11-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #13

After retirement we moved to the Rockies. We got plenty of snow at 9000 feet and my wife wanted to drive a school bus again. She was allowed to bring it home overnight. So I became reasonably proficient at installing chains during snow falls at 3 AM. The bus had dual rear wheels and the chains only went on the outside tires.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #14

Too much paranoia...just know your limitations!
Slow down and enjoy.
If you get too apprehensive, then stop.
Instead of chains, look at Security Company Z-chain and see if you can find a fit. Easy on and off. I started using them about eleven years ago.
They probably aren't much use for deep mud, but are great for snow and ice.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #15

Exclamation Snow Chains?

I drove trucks OTR for many years. (Too Many). Some of the answers are spot on in my opinion, but, here is what I was taught, and stuck to during my driving time.
1. There are chains for duals available, and we had them and used them. No chance of an outer dual catching and breaking a chain, or the wheel studs.
2. A single chain on the drivers front to help with steering.

I have seen many a truck in the medium or ditch because the driver was too lazy to install chains. Especially when actively snowing over packed icy conditions, and with ice and cross winds.
I will admit to driving many miles on icy roads without chains... Sometimes stupidly, but never on steep, curvy, ice packed roads...empty. That is the biggest clue here. When you have weight, you have much more traction, but it takes longer to stop because of the weight. I would never attempt to go over a steep, curvy, ice packed, mountain pass without chains in my home. A few minutes of work and discomfort is a cheap trade off for the possibility of losing your home or your life. Either wait it out, or chain it up.
Be safe, Live longer

JMHO
Old 11-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
I drove trucks OTR for many years. (Too Many). Some of the answers are spot on in my opinion, but, here is what I was taught, and stuck to during my driving time.
1. There are chains for duals available, and we had them and used them. No chance of an outer dual catching and breaking a chain, or the wheel studs.
2. A single chain on the drivers front to help with steering.

I have seen many a truck in the medium or ditch because the driver was too lazy to install chains. Especially when actively snowing over packed icy conditions, and with ice and cross winds.
I will admit to driving many miles on icy roads without chains... Sometimes stupidly, but never on steep, curvy, ice packed roads...empty. That is the biggest clue here. When you have weight, you have much more traction, but it takes longer to stop because of the weight. I would never attempt to go over a steep, curvy, ice packed, mountain pass without chains in my home. A few minutes of work and discomfort is a cheap trade off for the possibility of losing your home or your life. Either wait it out, or chain it up.
Be safe, Live longer

JMHO
---
x2
I did an uncontrolled slide downhill without chains that started while parked once in 1974. Shutting the driver's door started it. Creased the seat cushion from hanging on. What a ride! Helpless feeling.

I 'chain up' all tires since.

Better than paying the deductible.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post

JMHO
In 1995 while towing a tag from Cincinnati to Long Beach, CA to spend Christmas with DW's family, we hit snow/ice outside of Tucumari, New Mexico. We had a CB at the time and listened to a driver berating the slower traffic. We spent the night in the truck stop. The next morning the roads were good. About 10 miles up the road there was a Tyson semi in the medium on its side. Pretty sure it was the same one that was berating the slower traffic.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:06 PM   #18

Snow chains

Advice please on snow chains! I have a greyhawk 32X model and I thought I read in the Manuel that Jayco doesn’t recommend chains on these because of space . Anyone have any idea on this
Gchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchan View Post
Advice please on snow chains! I have a greyhawk 32X model and I thought I read in the Manuel that Jayco doesn’t recommend chains on these because of space . Anyone have any idea on this
I think many say that. I always had a set of "Z" Chains, cable style. They are much thinner and easier to install.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #20

Thanks grumpy, I kinda thought that was the case. Don’t really like the idea of driving on slick snow covered roads but never thought about the cables for the tires. Going to have to look into them. Thanks again
Gchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chains, dually, snow, tire, wheels