Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

White knuckle driving

Ljnasa
I have a 2017 31DS , I wanted the extra storage in the rear compartment . I have the same problem with handling.
I have been wondering I may have to much weight in the rear of the motorhome . We have the rear pass thru from one side to the other.

Anyone have any ideas?
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

Are you saying your rig handles fine when 'empty' but not when loaded up? If so, that's my experience too. Doesn't have anything to do with the amount in the basement per se' on ours.

Just once it's loaded up w/ full tanks (gas, water, propane) and all of our stuff it becomes a lumbering oil tanker...

I think this is where others have adjusted their Hellwig Helper springs and had some relief.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #3

We never dry camp, so I don't carry full water, just enough to get us to the site. 30 gallons of water is 300 lbs. That helps a bit. It's still a beast though.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
Ljnasa
I have a 2017 31DS , I wanted the extra storage in the rear compartment . I have the same problem with handling.
I have been wondering I may have to much weight in the rear of the motorhome . We have the rear pass thru from one side to the other.

Anyone have any ideas?
First thing to do is take it to a CAT scale and weigh it loaded and empty. Second thing is adjust tire pressures based on loaded weights.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Having too little caster can manifest itself as "wandering" and "loose steering" at highway speeds. Ford ships the E series with about +3 degrees of caster which is OK for city driving but you want to have at least +5 degrees on the highway.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Number 1. Check to see if the overload springs are adjusted properly. That made the biggest difference in handling in our 31. Next, tire pressures. Third, have the alignment checked. They are aligned without the body on the chassis so once thousands of pounds are added to the frame, the alignment changes. Get it done and it gets better.

The RV will NEVER handle like a car. Get rid of that thought. These are always a two hands on the wheel kind of vehicle. Especially in wind or when around the big rigs. It takes some getting use to. I am currently looking to move to a class A diesel pusher because I tow a race trailer and the towing with that much rear overhang behind the wheels, the handling of the RV/trailer combo, lack of power, engine noise and gas mileage in the 6’s just isn’t all that appealing anymore.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Ljnasa, your diesel pusher should have a tandem axle, IFS, and more than the 340 HP Cummins ISB. I moved to the Seneca from a 340 DP single axle and it got pushed around pretty much by trucks and side winds. Also not enough power to tow much. 340HP Seneca has a better power to weight ratio and 360HP 2018 version should be even better with better towing characteristics.

When you look at towing capacities pay attention to GCWR minus GVWR. That's your real towing capacity. My former DP says it had 5,000 towing but that's only if you run the rig pretty empty.

There are a couple other super C's that have much higher towing capacities.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

How do you check the overload springs? Also has anyone published the alignment specs? I can attest my brand new unit needs an alignment.
Try2paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

We have a small Melbourne (only 25 feet). We added heavy-duty springs and stabilizer bar, and it made a world of difference. We feel we've done everything we can to make it more stable and safe. However, in strong wind we're convinced that this type of motorhome is a white knuckle no matter what you do. When the weather's calm it drives like a dream. When it's windy, it's a nightmare, especially if you drive too fast. Winds over 40 - scary! Well loaded - overloaded - water in tanks - no water. Doesn't matter. If it drives poorly under perfect weather conditions...you definitely have a problem.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote