Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Whoops, cover is covering my furnace exhaust

Here I was, thinking I was being smart by ordering a nice full cover for our new Greyhawk. Imagine my surprise when it dawned on me this morning, hearing the weather forecast for the 20's this evening that my newly installed cover would of course, cover up the propane exhaust from the heater. Now maybe I don't need to keep it running, since we aren't actually living in it, parked in the driveway, however I would guess if I left it on, I would burn a hole in my nice, new, not inexpensive cover.

I really don't want to cut a hole in a brand new cover but may end up doing just that later this evening. Right now, there is a cardboard tube from some Christmas wrapping paper, bent into a V and propping the cover away from the vent/exhaust opening.

Suggestions and/or insults and snide remarks welcomed!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #2

Electric heater(s) that's all I ever used when in the drive.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

You may end up filling your RV with carbon monoxide. The gas that comes out of the furnace exhaust is toxic and probably smelly. I would make sure it gets out past the cover and not trapped in the cover. Could be a deadly situation if you uncover the RV and enter it without airing it out. Might make your entire RV smell like exhaust.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
Here I was, thinking I was being smart by ordering a nice full cover for our new Greyhawk. Imagine my surprise when it dawned on me this morning, hearing the weather forecast for the 20's this evening that my newly installed cover would of course, cover up the propane exhaust from the heater. Now maybe I don't need to keep it running, since we aren't actually living in it, parked in the driveway, however I would guess if I left it on, I would burn a hole in my nice, new, not inexpensive cover.

I really don't want to cut a hole in a brand new cover but may end up doing just that later this evening. Right now, there is a cardboard tube from some Christmas wrapping paper, bent into a V and propping the cover away from the vent/exhaust opening.

Suggestions and/or insults and snide remarks welcomed!
Please post the pictures of the melted cover. The heater exhausts a large amount of heat, and moisture. If you trap this under your cover well...it can't be good.

Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #5

Why are you running the propane furnace if its sitting in your driveway. If anything buy a small electric heater, cheaper than propane, won't ruin your cover, and the fire dept. won't make a visit to put out a large fire.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

As others have said, remove the cover. I only cover mine when its winterized and away for the winter.

Drag a 15A (or 20A preferrably) extension cord out, if possible. Then plug in a nice sized radiant electric heater.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

Please be carefull with a cover on and running the propane heat.Cardboard near the exaust ?Extreme heat exiting the exaust.In my humble opinion I think you're flirting with disaster !
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

And if the refrigerator is lit it will burn it too, I used to use a cover untill I almost fell off the RV that is when the awning went up
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Why are you running the propane furnace if its sitting in your driveway. If anything buy a small electric heater, cheaper than propane, won't ruin your cover, and the fire dept. won't make a visit to put out a large fire.

X2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

You know, we all learn lessons. Sometimes the easy way and other times the hard way. By the time I got home from work yesterday, the temperature had dropped enough with the 40+ mph winds that the heater kicked on.

Surprise, surprise! Well, maybe not really a surprise. See the photos. Also not sure why the images are turned since they look fine on the PC here. Decided I could turn off the heater and use the tank heaters instead and yes, I do have a space heater I could use as well.

I have trimmed the opening and my wife says she could add sort of a border to make it look intentional. And of course, love the fact it actually shows the embossed word HOT!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3364.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #11

Wow I am sure glad the RV did not catch on fire. They have a patch material for that cover
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #12

Find a shop that makes boat covers. They should be able to hem a large enough area to allow you to run the furnace and not have the cover over it when the cover is on.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Find a shop that makes boat covers. They should be able to hem a large enough area to allow you to run the furnace and not have the cover over it when the cover is on.
Good idea. Thanks
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #14

Fixed it, mostly. Might be a moot point since I have no intention of ever running the furnace when it is covered again! Yes, I have learned my lesson...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3367.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--