Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoev View Post
CabinetMaker, do you think the stock converter/charger is sufficient for flooded-cells? What is it about the charger that you aren't crazy about? Have you upgraded yours?
No I still have the stock converter and factory battery for now. When they die I will upgrade both.

Here is your problem. The stock converter float charge voltage is too high (13.6v) for AGM batteries (AGM's require 13.2V float). The stock converter float also comes on at 90% charge where AGM's require float starting at 80% charge. Doesn't sound like much but it's enough to damage the batteries. Really bad for AGM's is the Equalization mode in the stock converter. Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes it fires up the voltage to a whopping 14.4 volts!

You need a converter that can either be set to a preset AGM setting or has a adjustable float setting in parameters. Even solar charge controllers can overcharge a AGM and should be used with caution. Zamp makes a solar controller with a AGM setting that lowers the voltage. Otherwise you should never leave them plugged in for extended periods.

Is this stock Jayco converter ok for wet cell flooded batteries? That's debatable and I never trust it. If I am in storage my batteries go on a Battery Minder. I disconnect the converter.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #22

Nice details CabinentMaker, if this is the case Progressive Dynamics customer support folks aren't doing AGM owners any favors.

Does anyone have any recommendations for converter/charger upgrades?
jasoev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #23

Good info. I don't know much about the fine details of all of this, but I do note that my panel shows 13.2volts when it is plugged in and all is at rest. Is it possible the float charge is less or is this a fluke?
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #24

Here is a couple of things that might help. I think the biggest problem for AGM batteries with the stock converter is the equalization mode in the Charge Wizard. It can’t be turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
F34D1944-0DEF-493D-86F2-6B7E2336B72F.jpeg   7328FA23-9D0F-40D2-AE3F-DE975747E998.jpg  
Old 10-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Here is a couple of things that might help. I think the biggest problem for AGM batteries with the stock converter is the equalization mode in the Charge Wizard. It can’t be turned off.
I went to the Lifeline website to read more: Can I equalize AGM batteries? - Lifeline Batteries

Their answer is in the first paragraph:
Quote:
This question comes up every day. Can I equalize AGM batteries? The short answer is Yes! Let’s start at the beginning on what equalizing is, what it actually does and how it can be beneficial to extending your battery life. Please keep in mind that not all AGM batteries are built equally. Our batteries are hand built and have large inter-cell connections, allowing them to be equalized. If you do not have a Lifeline AGM deep cycle battery, please consult the manufacturers recommendations before you start this process.
If I posed the question as to whether the PD4060K would safely/properly charge their AGM batteries, I wonder what their answer would be?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #26

Fullriver said their AGM's don't care whether I equalize or not. Won't affect the battery.

The Float voltage on the PD4500 I have is 13.2v, I'm running my solar with a float of 13.8v and boost of 14.4v, their tech said the eq just becomes another short boost to the battery.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoev View Post
I went to the Lifeline website to read more: Can I equalize AGM batteries? - Lifeline Batteries

Their answer is in the first paragraph:

If I posed the question as to whether the PD4060K would safely/properly charge their AGM batteries, I wonder what their answer would be?
That is only with Lifeline AGM's...I don't know of any other brand that is specially built to accept equalization like this. You mentioned you have NPP not LifeLine AGM batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
7C2FC2B7-B4C2-4119-8FD9-86D8D42262C7.jpeg   41725221-BF49-4A97-8BDB-355F46CDED00.jpeg   35AAFA40-3CCE-4456-97CA-716724F2325E.jpg  
Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #28

CabinetMaker, my NPPs will soon be returned...
Old 10-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Fullriver said their AGM's don't care whether I equalize or not. Won't affect the battery.

The Float voltage on the PD4500 I have is 13.2v, I'm running my solar with a float of 13.8v and boost of 14.4v, their tech said the eq just becomes another short boost to the battery.
Funny...I went to FullRiver website and it seems to be saying you do need a special charger. One with temperature compensation is highly recommended (again because the float charge varies with temperature) and they don't require a refresh charge (equalization) but maybe every 9 months (but not every 21 hours).
Attached Thumbnails
A3A96B6A-6973-4CD9-A62F-2B965BE18179.jpeg   85819671-FB8B-43FB-93CD-8393828FD97A.jpeg  
Old 10-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Funny...I went to FullRiver website and it seems to be saying you do need a special charger. One with temperature compensation is highly recommended (again because the float charge varies with temperature) and they don't require a refresh charge (equalization) but maybe every 9 months (but not every 21 hours).
My solar CC has temp comp. As I said I rarely use the PD4500 to charge, only if the trailer is on full hookups and we've had no sun for days, otherwise the solar handles the batteries.

From FR tech:
"When the equalization voltage is set lower than our nominal bulk/absorption voltage (14.7V), it is effectively just another boost charge instead of an actual equalization charge. You could do a custom setting with the equalization eliminated and boost voltage set to 14.6V (keeping all other settings the same), but it would be fine on the Sealed setting. The Gel setting’s boost voltage is too low."
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #31

I seem to have same issue....2018 324BHTS...bought new in April.

Unit stays plugged in here at the house, and we use it alot but also have shore power where we go.

2 weeks ago hook up to truck and unhook from house and stabilizers wont move...thought at first it was my remote, or the stabilizers, nope....Interstate battery is dead on the tongue.Check it and its nearly out of acid.

Plug back in to get going and fill battery with distilled water.

BAck home, grabbed new AC delco deep cycle (I work in auto parts distribution) and go to pull the Interstate out and its hot to the touch.

Check voltage with new battery and its 13.8-14V....tad high for a fresh 12V with minimal load on it.

So I am assuming the factory charger/inverter is not the best...BUT...what pisses me off, is I got rid of my 2001 Jayco, with OE 2001 inverter, that loved plugged in, same same, and I even had a non deep cycle Motorcraft (my brand) battery on it for 4 years and all was good....one would think my 2018 would have a better inverter than my 2001 but I guess not.

Whats the favorite inverter brand/size these days? I haven't even looked whats in this 2018 yet...

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm battery, batteries, battery charging, converter problem, greyhawk