Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Why did you choose a C Class?

Why did you choose a C Class? For me, I think it was because even though I liked the size of the buses, I didn't like the thought of driving one everywhere...The c classes seemed a better size fit for me.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

We had a 40 foot DP and it was too big for just the two of us now and many smaller campgrounds we frequent.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

The wife like the floor plan! We came from a 30' class A. This class C is a better ride and drive. Also more comfortable sleeping area in the cab-over area than the folding couch (for the kids and grand kids). The class Cs are just as wide as the As but it doesn't seem like because of the seating arrangement.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
Why did you choose a C Class? For me, I think it was because even though I liked the size of the buses, I didn't like the thought of driving one everywhere...The c classes seemed a better size fit for me.
For us it was the sleeping areas. The cab over bunk was just such a nice area for our youngest and we have bunks as well. We just felt it was focused more on an equal amount of camping and comfortable living than just feeling like a house. Just suited our needs better.
Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The wife like the floor plan! We came from a 30' class A. This class C is a better ride and drive. Also more comfortable sleeping area in the cab-over area than the folding couch (for the kids and grand kids). The class Cs are just as wide as the As but it doesn't seem like because of the seating arrangement.
Like Don (and several others), we wanted to be able to sleep the grandkids in the over cab queen, without having to do any pull/fold outs.

Additionally, the Seneca TS has opposing slides. So similar space in main living area as a lot of A's (although not the length).

That said, my lovely wife still drools over some of the 45' A's that cost 2-3x the money we have in our Seneca :-)
big ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer was out because we don't have a tow vehicle. Class A was just too big for us. And something else that crossed my mind was: in Colorado there are two types of windshields: cracked and not-cracked *yet*.

I figured a new windshield for a Ford Van would be a lot easier to find that something for those Class A monsters.

Wife can drive our Class C too.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

Commuter Truck!

We were looking do divest ourselves of our Commuter Truck! The gas and payments on my Silverado 1500 was killing me and reality was the truck was undersized for my TT.

We actually went to look at Class A's and were pleasantly surprised when we discovered the C's. The floor plans on the C's were better then almost all but the most expensive A's. The cab over bunk was the big seller for us. Our TT had a bunkhouse at the back which we only need when our Teens choose to travel with us. The bunk gave us a bed for them when needed without having to tow around 8 feet of otherwise wasted space.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

We made a great decision between the A and C! We kept the C and moved up to a Seneca 36FK. We get the best of both worlds...

First and the most important: Service at a Freightliner dealership includes a 2-hour express lane for regular maintenance. If you take an A to them - you wait until Tuesday or Wednesdays when they take the Pushers. The Dealership treats a Freightliner M2-106 as a fleet truck and they focus on getting you services while you wait - they have everything your chassis could need in stock, and they get you back out on the road right away.

Now to the rest of the coach... go and check one out - King Bed, Lots of counter space like an A (we have a countertop coffee maker and travel with it ON the counter where it sits) Nightstand with power, Large Fridge that holds everything we need for over a week dry camping.

An A class has other issues with cooling - your bedroom is directly over the engine, you will have to run your rear AC to keep your bedroom from cooking your belongings while running in Summer weather. And when you need engine repairs - they have to tear your bed out of your coach and access the engine from above. (Who wants your coach torn apart inside to have an engine repair??? )
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #9

My husband drools over a class A. He thinks the driving might be better just because he likes the feel of sitting higher and seeing the entire road. We looked at TT and decided by the time we sold a car (which he loves) to replace with a pickup that would suit his needs, we would have just as much invested and less convenience. Now we easily tow our vehicle, take the grandchildren along and it provides plenty of entertainment and convenience. For now we are sticking with our 31XL!
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

Don't own a big truck so towable are a no go. We did try a pop up for a while, but quickly moved to a small C. With 6 people, we did not find any Class A that could accommodate all of us, let alone having 4 people in dedicated beds/bunks while I drove...

We really liked the Seneca, but got some sticker shock. Now we are looking at Super Cs again.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #11

For us quite simply it was maneuverability. Had a TT. We take one long trip to visit family up and down the coast and then some RR for us (needed after visiting family). The many stop and gos make our RedHawk26X a better option for us. Plus, the wife frequently asks me to stop (too late) after she sees a store or stand on the road and turning around a truck w/30 ft trailer is more difficult than the class C.

There are things I miss on the TT though like more space. I also think our former Jayflight is better built than the Redhawk. I fixed a drawer in the RedHawk and couldn't believe how flimsy the sides and bottom wood are. Plus the rails are only tacked on the front and back. Jayco quality my A**
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

I have a 31ss greyhawk my uncle sold it to me it sleeps 6 the cab over is a tv DVD and cabinet space which can be good when needing storage but I think I rather another bed so in the future my wife and I will be looking for an a class Fleetwood discovery I found floor plans they make sleeps 8 I driven an older discovery loved it so I can imagine that they improved since then but the excursion expedition and discovery are similar and you can find a model Thai sleeps 8 because anymore than 8 is a lot for one bathroom
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

I have a 31ss greyhawk my uncle sold it to me it sleeps 6 the cab over is a tv DVD and cabinet space which can be good when needing storage but I think I rather another bed so in the future my wife and I will be looking for an a class Fleetwood discovery I found floor plans they make sleeps 8 I driven an older discovery loved it so I can imagine that they improved since then but the excursion expedition and discovery are similar and you can find a model Thai sleeps 8 because anymore than 8 is a lot for one bathroom
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #14

Safety was a big issue for us...

The class A only has one door, and the C has 3 (for getting out fast). Also, at a gas stop, in the C you are right there at the pump from the drivers door. In the A you have to get out on the other side of the coach and walk around.

Additionally, the class A cab can get very hot, whit the acre of glass in front of you.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #15

I have a larger family and we do a lot of driving to destinations which means long days at the wheel, and kids need to be able to sleep while we are rolling. Class C's with the cab over offer the most # of dedicated beds without converting tables and sofas, which in some cases are not even usable when all closed up. In my current rig, if I fold down my sofa, there is no longer a path from the cab to the rear without exiting the vehicle or just stepping on the bed.

Some other elements to consider -
Service - where and who is qualified to work on the chassis that the manufacturer just wrapped a big house on. Besides that consider things like basic fluid checks and belt replacements on a Class A that has a house wrapped around the motor. Most mechanics curse working on Vans, but a RED is a real PITA.
Parts - Right up front is one of the biggest most fragile pieces of a Class A, the windshield. Look at replacements costs and where you can source one, and then where can you get a shop willing to install a 8'wide by 5' tall piece of glass? How many truck stops do you drive by, yeah you will likely find parts for your super c there...
Handling - Class A's drive differently due to the position of the driver either over the steering tires or in front of them. BTW, what weight was that class a chassis built to handle, and did the RV manufacturer lengthen the frame, thereby making it weaker.
Towing - Not what you are thinking, what if your rig need to be towed? Where and how would this happen on a Class A? Did the RV maker provide provisions for this? As the M2 Chassis is a commercial rig, it is familiar to recovery rig operators and less likely that it would get damaged in transit.
Space & Floorplans - online and from friend who own them, they generally feel that there is a lot of wasted space and that class C's have much more efficient use of the space.
Cab - Consider the amount of thermal transfer from a single LARGE pane of automotive glass that is common in Class As and then the awkward side windows which are rarely easy to open or have shades made for them. Few Class A's have an adjustable visor to shield you from the sun as it gets lower on the horizon.

I liken it to this Class C = Vehicle with a house strapped to it. Class A = Chassis with house that has a dashboard and windshield.

Challenge just about any Class A manufacturer to show you how they reinforce the seatbelt tiedowns... This is entirely up to the RV maker to offer occupant protections, where as in the Class C's you inherit any of the safety standards forced onto the parent vehicle that the cab and chassis came from.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #16

Had a 34 ft class A wife did not like the feel of it on the road went down to 28ft Itasca cambria nice unit but no storage, Liked the floor plan of the 37 rb Seneca and the safety factor of the engine in front, it is also the best handling of all the unit's we've had
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #17

We owned many trailers, so can't speak for Class As. Now that we have time for long road trips, we felt it was time for a change. We love the ease of driving the Class C Melbourne. It is small enough to ease into just about any mountain spot for boondocking (really no different than a trailer except for lower clearance). When we're traveling long distances and making a lot of one-night stops, it's convenient to find a place and not have to leave the RV. It has an amazing amount of storage space, both inside and out, even for its small size. In some of our trailers, there always seemed to be a lot of hidden empty voids, but every inch of space in this unit is utilized. We also get much better than the 8-10 mpg in past trailers. We've only had it for a few months, but we've already taken a variety of trips equaling about 50 days and still have no regrets. We're looking forward to our big road trip this fall.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #18

1. I like the idea of having a passenger air bag.
2. The driving position is more familiar. Aside from the length your basically driving a full sized van.
3. A motorhome over a travel trailer
Passengers can move around: bathroom, refrigerator,...
Easier setup, especially in bad weather
Bathroom breaks only needed for the driver

That said we are looking at used Class A motorhomes for the added space.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #19

Camping has always been something we enjoyed back even when we where dating. Then kids came along and we decided to get a tent trailer. The next progression was the travel trailer and vacations the kids still talk about. We needed something bigger and weighing the pros and cons we went with a 5th wheel. When we first got our 5th wheel, we were young and setting up the 5th wheel was not a bother, but now not so much. It was important that my wife be able to be comfortable driving our next rig. She did not like sitting so close to the front as class As do. She could pull the 5th wheel with no problem. We saw the 2005 Senecas but we could not fit it into our budget at the time. Now we own a 2016 Seneca HJ and love it.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c class, question, why?