Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Why does it take 8 weeks to build a roof

Not trying to be a negative owner, but trying to understand if God can create the world in 6 days and on Jayco's tour they say they can build motorized units in two days. Then why does it take them 8+ weeks to build a roof for our 2018 37FS? Background- July 6th we were in Rapid City, SD when we were hit with a massive hail storm that left 12 holes in the radius of the fiberglass roof. The following day we contacted both Jayco and our insurance company and they both agreed a new roof was needed. Jayco recomended Tri-star repair in Shipshewana, near Jayco. We set up an appointment for Sept 14th and here we are, from Rapid City to Shipshewana. We dropped off the Seneca this Saturday, after moving into a rental cabin, and were ready for the replacement to begin. Only today we find out Tri-star is still waiting for the roof. How long should it take? We know Co-vid and the fact the 37FS is no longer made, but we were told they could fit it into the line up. We are praying it is done soon.
smt29camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

interrupting a production line to fix a one off is hard...

expect at least 4 weeks...

if you need one that quickly you can upgrade to a new one I bet they can get that done pronto!!!!!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
interrupting a production line to fix a one off is hard...

expect at least 4 weeks...

if you need one that quickly you can upgrade to a new one I bet they can get that done pronto!!!!!
Ditto what he said, the World does not revolve around your problem.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

I don't believe they build one off fixes on the main assembly line. And I'm betting that it's 2 people custom building things like this and they have a long queue of things they need to make for units from all over the country.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #5

I'm not an expert but most the roofs come as a roll, kind of a cut to fit process. Not sure what's different about yours.
PPOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

Update to Roof

We know the world does not revolve around us, we are trying to be flexible in this situation. We are full-timers that volunteer at faith based kids camps and are trying to work around the moving homes repair schedule. We were told by Jayco that the completed roof would be put through the line and completed by Sept 11th, so we scheduled this repair for the 14th thinking we would be safe. Well today Jayco communicated with Tri-star that it maybe this friday or Monday. Last year our home was in the Jayco repair facility for 5 weeks getting the lino replaced because a repair shop in Yuma gouged the floor while repairing the rear schwintek slide. Sorry, we don't mean to sound like we expect perfection, we live in our moving home and fully understand how the system works. This is an insurance issue where Jayco is being paid for the product and not a warranty issue. Thank you all for being understanding, I've learned alot from this forum and have tried not to post when not needed, just wondered if anyone had similar situation.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOSS View Post
I'm not an expert but most the roofs come as a roll, kind of a cut to fit process. Not sure what's different about yours.

The Seneca roof is a one piece unit all vacuum bonded to a metal/foam core so yes its a little different.

I'm sure the delay is that the section that builds the roofs are all scheduled production wise for the units going down the line and they have to fit yours in. This could take longer as the FS is a floorplan no longer offered and that makes it a one off roof for them now to fit in. Here is a pic of a cart stacked up with Seneca Roofs.
Attached Thumbnails
i-3Ssd8hV-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The Seneca roof is a one piece unit all vacuum bonded to a metal/foam core so yes its a little different.

I'm sure the delay is that the section that builds the roofs are all scheduled production wise for the units going down the line and they have to fit yours in. This could take longer as the FS is a floorplan no longer offered and that makes it a one off roof for them now to fit in. Here is a pic of a cart stacked up with Seneca Roofs.
Also the aluminum roof framing probably comes from L&W Engineering and not done in house. https://www.lw-eng.com/page/29/Aluminum-Products

Does Lloyd and Wilbur sound familiar?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #9

Just because it takes a production line a day or two to make something doesn't mean it should be that quick to repair it. Things have to come off which is a LOT more work than slapping stuff together.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Neo1130 Thank you for your reply, but I think you missed the point that Jayco is not doing the repair. Tri-star RV service is waiting, just like we are, to get the roof so that they can take the damaged one off and put the new one on. Tri-star had scheduled us in on the 14th, because they were told by Jayco it would be completed on the 11th. I feel sorry for them also.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #11

Firstly, it's good to hear that there are others who have experienced roof issues. We have a Greyhawk 26Y that had an unfortunate encounter with a pecan tree limb the last week of June resulting in a rip along the driver side of the roof cover that exposed the insulation. The roof itself was not compromised so there was no leaking inside the motorhome. The service manager and his crew taped the tear so there was no further damage and ordered a new roof. We were able to continue to use the Greyhawk throughout the summer while the replacement roof came and dropped the Greyhawk off at the repair shop September 3rd. Though we were initially told it would take two weeks to complete the roof replacement, the service manager called and said it would take until the end of September. I was not surprised because this is a big job -- and, patience is a virtue.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
CAG

I suggest reading the thread "Warranty Issues". There is a common theme and perhaps an answer to all of the "slow" response from the RV Industry.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I suggest reading the thread "Warranty Issues". There is a common theme and perhaps an answer to all of the "slow" response from the RV Industry.
But this is not a warranty issue so to the manufacturer speed is not of the essence and it does not fall within the scope of the Warranty Act as related to time. This is an insurance repair where the part is a retail sale and nothing more.

The time to fabricate the roof is going to depend on when the order falls into the production cue, especially since this is now a "one off" production.

My first question would be what makes the roof for the FS different than other floor plans? Are the holes for AC units and vent stacks pre-formed in the fiberglass roof?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My first question would be what makes the roof for the FS different than other floor plans?
It's not model specific, his rig appears to be shorter than the 2020's and 2021's. That may require a custom build for the frame.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
But this is not a warranty issue so to the manufacturer speed is not of the essence and it does not fall within the scope of the Warranty Act as related to time. This is an insurance repair where the part is a retail sale and nothing more.

The time to fabricate the roof is going to depend on when the order falls into the production cue, especially since this is now a "one off" production.

My first question would be what makes the roof for the FS different than other floor plans? Are the holes for AC units and vent stacks pre-formed in the fiberglass roof?

I think you missed the point. Warranty, or out of warranty repair, the entire industry, as well as many other industries in world, are working short handed, behind because of previous the earlier shut down and just generally playing catch up.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think you missed the point. Warranty, or out of warranty repair, the entire industry, as well as many other industries in world, are working short handed, behind because of previous the earlier shut down and just generally playing catch up.
No point to it. As I said, the time to fabricate will depend on when the order hit the production cue. The production schedule will then determine an estimated completion date. More than likely the OP's roof will not be given any type of priority over repeat customers such as Jayco or anyone else the company manufactures roof for.

Unfortunately, this is a fact of life when requiring items coming from an extremely limited supply chain. Roofs for discontinued models are not a component any manufacturer would want to carry in inventory just in case one is required for an insurance job sometime in the future. The inventory costs for something that big would be too high.

The exact same thing holds true for windshields for discontinued Class A motorhomes. Some of them are next to impossible to get and they might take a month or two fabricate and arrive for repairs.

Unfortunately the OP's personal situation has no bearing on the roof manufacturers' schedule which may face legal issues if deliveries to Jayco and others are not made on time.

As sad as it is it's a fact of life in the RV world when dealing with the logistics supply chain.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
CAG

Yeah, you missed the point. No way around it. Then there are arguments for the sake of arguing.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:55 PM   #18

Thank you all for your responses. Good news-Tri-star was contacted today and they were told the roof is boxed and ready for transport. They will send their delivery driver over on Monday to pick it up. Lord willing, it will be the right one and not damaged, so they can start work on it on Tuesday. Tri-star already has the slide toppers off, that were also damaged by the hail. We believe God has all things in His control, but are never sure why or when He changes our life plans until we have gone through them. We are are still learning many things as we travel this life style. We are thankful for a roof over our heads, a bed to sleep on, food to eat and a place to serve at. And good people who live in Jayco's to learn more from.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #19

Your roof is not the first to be done in by hail. I know your already committed, but I would not put another fiberglass roof on my rig. It's just too vulnerable. I would do a Flex-Armor for the added strength.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #20

This time we chose to replace the roof under insurance, just like our Ram truck that was damaged by the same storm. We are hoping it does not happen again, but if it does we are planning to go with the armor. Thank you.