Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #1

Why does jayco do this !!

I'm a new owner of a 2017 Melbourne 24L motorhome. I've posted before about issues I've experienced with my full wall slide. That's old news. Today I went out to sanitize my coach in anticipation of a trip through September. We've used the RV throughout the summer, but it has sat for three weeks or so, so I decided to sanitize, for the first time, per the instructions in the owners manual. WHY DO THEY MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT..?? Followed every step. Drained the fresh water system, put my panel setting (1-4) in the proper position, followed EVERY step in the directions. Put my hose into a sanitation solution and turned on my water pump. NOTHING... Went about checking fittings, connections, ensuring i had suction on the intake side of the pump. Nothing.. Called JAYCO customer service. They were great. Advised that I had neglected to turn the cone shaped screen, located within the fill connection 180 degrees. Apparently, the fill connector, on my Melbourne, has a CHECK VALVE to stop water from flowing out of the fresh water tank. Turning the cone shaped screen opens (holds) the check valve open to allow for suction for sanitizing or country filling..$%%&$#(^% WHY NOT INCLUDE THAT IN THE DIRECTIONS..!! Hey, for you old timers out there, don't beat me up too much if it's listed some place else in the manual..!! Also, if this has been addressed before on this forum, I apologize for the repeat.. For those others of you, inexperienced like me, who own Melbourne's, BEWARE, don't forget to turn that screen around before attempting to sanitize or winterize your unit...
gpdstaffcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdstaffcapt View Post
Apparently, the fill connector, on my Melbourne, has a CHECK VALVE to stop water from flowing out of the fresh water tank.
All units have that, but not all need to be flipped to work when sanitizing or winterizing.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the reminder to turn the cone shaped screen 180 degrees when sanitizing.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Like grumpy said - some of us need to flip the screen and some of us don't. Those check valves seem to be constructed with poor tolerance.

In mine, it's 50/50 - sometimes it works with the screen flipped and sometimes it doesn't. So I'm in the habit of always flipping the screen in...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

Mine, not only do you have to flip the cone, but the "Sanitize" settings do not work. After trying all the possible combinations of valve settings for winterize/sanitize procedures, I found that I have to leave the valves set to city connection and turn the pump on. -Go figure....
Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

are you talking about physically removing the screen and having the cone face in?

I've been wondering why the suction is so bad when using country fill.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
are you talking about physically removing the screen and having the cone face in?

I've been wondering why the suction is so bad when using country fill.
you are correct on removing screen and turning it around so that the screen cone is pointed inward and pushes on the internal backflow valve allowing the suction of the internal pump to pull liquid into the water lines/tank.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
you are correct on removing screen and turning it around so that the screen cone is pointed inward and pushes on the internal backflow valve allowing the suction of the internal pump to pull liquid into the water lines/tank.
This literally explains a lot.....

I can't tell you how many times I have been swearing and struggling to fill back up after dumping our portable. We always thought the lump just sucked or the plumbing was bad.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

To much work for me, we pour a couple tablespoons of bleach in the fresh water hose before fill up and let her go.Not very scientific been doing that routine since 2005 and still kicking!
Attached Thumbnails
Best SS 12-5-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdstaffcapt View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2017 Melbourne 24L motorhome. I've posted before about issues I've experienced with my full wall slide. That's old news. Today I went out to sanitize my coach in anticipation of a trip through September. We've used the RV throughout the summer, but it has sat for three weeks or so, so I decided to sanitize, for the first time, per the instructions in the owners manual. WHY DO THEY MAKE IT SO DIFFICULT..?? Followed every step. Drained the fresh water system, put my panel setting (1-4) in the proper position, followed EVERY step in the directions. Put my hose into a sanitation solution and turned on my water pump. NOTHING... Went about checking fittings, connections, ensuring i had suction on the intake side of the pump. Nothing.. Called JAYCO customer service. They were great. Advised that I had neglected to turn the cone shaped screen, located within the fill connection 180 degrees. Apparently, the fill connector, on my Melbourne, has a CHECK VALVE to stop water from flowing out of the fresh water tank. Turning the cone shaped screen opens (holds) the check valve open to allow for suction for sanitizing or country filling..$%%&$#(^% WHY NOT INCLUDE THAT IN THE DIRECTIONS..!! Hey, for you old timers out there, don't beat me up too much if it's listed some place else in the manual..!! Also, if this has been addressed before on this forum, I apologize for the repeat.. For those others of you, inexperienced like me, who own Melbourne's, BEWARE, don't forget to turn that screen around before attempting to sanitize or winterize your unit...

Have the same issue with my Melbourne 24k...thought it was just me. Dick around for 30 minutes and it will finally go but it's a royal PITA! Where is this mysterious screen you mention? It sure as hell ain't in the instructions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Where is this mysterious screen you mention? It sure as hell ain't in the instructions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On our Greyhawk, it's the filter screen that sits in the hose fitting. Bugger to yank out. But it's the only way we can reliable pump from carboys into the tank.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

I have a zillion small stihl screwdrivers (jeweler-size) for adjusting carbs and as such keep them everywhere. -Keep them with my duct tape and hammer . I normally just poke one of them in carefully and pop out the screen.

Another tool for this particular job, I like using is one of my beer brewing buckets that has a spigot at the bottom of it. I mix my bleach / water solution and my pickup tube connects to the bottom of the spigot, which makes the job terribly efficient. What was once an all-afternoon job for the DW and me, now takes about 30 min.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #13

I had this same issue when I bought my Greyhawk 31FS four years ago. Couldn't winterize or country fill. Brought it back to the dealer multiple times and they tried everything. They replaced the valve manifold, check valve, and they even rigged up some sort of by pass, which worked but would have taken about 6 hours to fill the tank. Finally they installed a stonger water pump, which basically overcomes the check valve by brute force. It now works great. I'm surprised to learn the solution was as simple as turning the filter screen around to poke the check valve open.
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

Sanitizing process aside, as a new 2018 24L Melbourne owner, I echo the comments about the Jayco owner's manual which is very lacking in clarity. The helpfulness of this forum (and others) cannot be understated as some of us new owners learn about our rigs.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #15

I have leveraged youtube to help provide a visual on the steps needed for a variety of rv maintenance items. Good luck!

2017 Greyhawk 31DS
Blue OX Alpha tow bar
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Vergari59 is offline   Reply With Quote