Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Why No Diesel For Greyhawks?

Just wondering why the Ford diesel is not available in the Greyhawk's Ford F-450 platform? That would be sweet! I know probably a additional roughly $12,000-$14,000 for the engine and gen upgrades.........but.........it would be sweet!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

I have aways heard it is partly because of cost, as well as GVW reduction, so that is why many manufacturers avoid the diesel.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

I agree that would be sweet. Thor makes one in their Chateau line, and Dynasty makes one on the Ram truck chassis.

The GVW reduction is not an issue when considering the switch from an E-series chassis to an F-series chassis, the F-series has SIGNIFICANTLY higher GVWRs and towing capability than the E-series van cutaway chassis.

The cost difference is significant though. For some reason, the rigs on the truck chassis are MUCH more expensive. Like $40-$50K more expensive. It's much more than just the difference between a gas power plant and a diesel one. That's why we're in a Greyhawk with an E-series chassis powered by a gas burner.

But man I drooled over the Dynamax units on the Ram chassis for a LONG time. If we used it more, that might've swayed my decision some. But we're out maybe once a month at most with one or two longer trips during the year, so the gas works out better all around for us.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

I read yesterday that the Powerstroke would not fit in the Econoline chassis, don't know the real truth.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #5

They do, it's called a Seneca... LOL

It's all about the Benjamins.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Funny...I actually wanted the gas v-10 not a diesel. I didn't want all the headaches that come with the fuel filters and DEF system. Been there done that.

Trust me...if your not using it but every few weeks or months you don't want a diesel. We are still caring for my wifes parents so a few short trips here and there and hopefully a couple of longer vacations each year. Not enough to number 1 justify the cost of a diesel rig or number 2 deal with the maintenance and diesel problems.

After owning a Class A diesel and then a couple of 1 ton diesel trucks pulling travel trailers I got really tired of the diesel headaches. After owning a couple of Ford V-10 gas and one Chevy 8.1 gas I decided that was the way to go.

If your going to move to diesel then a jump to Seneca is the better choice. The Ford V-10 is plenty capable in a regular class C motorhome.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #7

I must agree with Cabinetmaker. If you are not constantly crisscrossing the country or pulling heavy loads then you don’t want the expense of the Diesel. We have owned two large Motorcoach’s which served us well with their Diesel’s but the expense of the new DEF systems gets very costly if you are not using them.
We are just completing a 2500 mile trip and have had more fun in this Class C then we could have in our Busses. It’s opened the camping ability to many more places that we couldn’t go before. My biggest blunder was not getting a unit with 2 AC’s but I found that if we ask for shady spaces and explain why the folks at every stop have been very gracious.
Just my two cents on the Diesel’s expense.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I read yesterday that the Powerstroke would not fit in the Econoline chassis, don't know the real truth.
I doubt that, they have been available in ambulances for many years.

Typically the average motor home runs probably (guessing) 6,000 - 10,000 mi a year, the upfront cost significantly outweigh the savings that would only breakthrough by running a lot of miles.

An ambulance will average 30,000 - 40,000 miles or so a year (some more) and fuel becomes the largest expense second to wages.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

I’ll be the other voice. I specifically left the class C to go diesel. I hated that V-10 screaming between the seats. Jumping up to a class A diesel increases your maintenance costs by a large factor. Jumping up to a truck diesel would only increase maintenance costs per year maybe $200 so when dealing with a $100,000+ vehicle, the cost is negligible. Just the quieter, ease of driving would be enough to sway me but it would really need to be on a 550 chassis with 19.5” wheels. That’s why I love the Dynamax concept. That is a vehicle that is designed to do more than it does. The Jayco is at the limits of their design, at least for the 31FS I had. Other, lighter models may have faired better.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
I’ll be the other voice. I specifically left the class C to go diesel. I hated that V-10 screaming between the seats. Jumping up to a class A diesel increases your maintenance costs by a large factor. Jumping up to a truck diesel would only increase maintenance costs per year maybe $200 so when dealing with a $100,000+ vehicle, the cost is negligible. Just the quieter, ease of driving would be enough to sway me but it would really need to be on a 550 chassis with 19.5” wheels. That’s why I love the Dynamax concept. That is a vehicle that is designed to do more than it does. The Jayco is at the limits of their design, at least for the 31FS I had. Other, lighter models may have faired better.
If your going to go to a 550 chassis and a diesel you should go ahead and get air brakes and air bag suspension. I don't agree that the front diesel like Seneca is less loud compared to a V-10. My V-10 doesn't scream like you say and that could be due to the newer 6 speed and more insulation I don't know but ask a Seneca owner or 550 chassis owner if their diesel is loud. A rear pusher class A is the best sound wise but front engines all are going to be louder diesel or gas.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote