Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 AM   #1

Why small Melbourne uses diesel engine?

Why small Melbourne uses diesel engine, and bigger class C uses gas engine? Diesel engine is more powerful, and should be used in bigger class C motorhome.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #2

Too much extra wwight and cab noise. They made some years ago, but the didn't sell. You need to move up to a SUPER C. Some brands use the F-550 CHASSIS .
Old 10-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Too much extra wwight and cab noise. They made some years ago, but the didn't sell. You need to move up to a SUPER C. Some brands use the F-550 CHASSIS .
Manufactures have come a long way as far as noise goes. It is emissions that is killing diesels and their popularity overall. As far as cab noise goes, I would be ecstatic if all I heard was the engine in my Melbourne. Engine noise didn't make the list of noise complaints I have. It might be that most consumers aren't willing to pay the up front extra cost for diesel engines in a Class C motor home.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
It might be that most consumers aren't willing to pay the up front extra cost for diesel engines in a Class C motor home.
That's what did it for me. I was originally going to buy a 24L, but really didn't want the MB diesel, under powered engine, at the extra cost of $10K. So when Jayco came out with the 24B, which was the same layout as the 24L, but with the more powerful Ford V10, that sealed the deal for me.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's what did it for me. I was originally going to buy a 24L, but really didn't want the MB diesel, under powered engine, at the extra cost of $10K. So when Jayco came out with the 24B, which was the same layout as the 24L, but with the more powerful Ford V10, that sealed the deal for me.
Is not diesel engine better? last longer and more HP/torque, better fuel economy, better resell value. As emission, DEF can solve it.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Is not diesel engine better? last longer and more HP/torque, better fuel economy, better resell value. As emission, DEF can solve it.
This motor has plenty of HP and is bullet proof. Do your research on that Mercedes engine and you will find LOTS of complaints, often stranding people in limp mode looking for a difficult to find repair facility. The diesel fuel cost is higher so the cost is a wash. Yes this is coming from someone who loves his diesel truck.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

Our 2020 Redhawk 24B with the big v10 gasser is great. Worked like a champ over Wolfcreek pass Colorado pulling our Jeep. Torque is astounding while not sounding like an 18-wheeler.

I specifically wanted the v10. It is a workhorse gas OHC engine that Ford has perfected. Was sorry to see it replaced with the 7.3L v8. I avoided the 2021 v8 not because it is bad but because it was new and didn't have the v10 history.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Torque isn't a issue with these smaller Class C rigs. Last longer? I don't care, I'm not going to drive this rig 200K miles. Better resale, that's in the eye of the beholder.

Better fuel economy, yes, but you're comparing a V6 to a V10. I don't know many people that bought a motor home to save money, they usually buy trailers. And that smaller motor comes at a towing cost, the Melbourne diesel only has a 5,000 lb. towing cap,. while the Ford V10 has a 7,500 lb. cap. That can come into play if you have a larger toad.

Horsepower? The MB diesel has 188 hp. while the V10 has 360 hp. Plus, the V10 has proven itself to be bulletproof!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
You still can't overcome the lower CCC due to the heavier engine. Resale value must not be an issue either, as I said years ago they were available in the "C"s and didn't sell. FORD hasn't produced one since 2007 in the cut-a-way chassis.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #10

Check out the Class C Isata 5 powered by Ram Cummins. I am seriously considering it after my FW.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Check out the Class C Isata 5 powered by Ram Cummins. I am seriously considering it after my FW.
That's still CLASSIFIED as a SUPER "C". It's on a 5500 chassis.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Compared to a V10 it is underpowered but for the Melbourne it is not unless you want to tow over 5k lbs. The only issue with power is the shift parameters. The computer takes too long to down shift going uphill but it does have a manual way to overcome that. I only pull a 2000lb toad and I have plenty power to go where I want.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
This motor has plenty of HP and is bullet proof. Do your research on that Mercedes engine and you will find LOTS of complaints, often stranding people in limp mode looking for a difficult to find repair facility. The diesel fuel cost is higher so the cost is a wash. Yes this is coming from someone who loves his diesel truck.
You are right Repair facilities are not as easy to find as with the Ford. If you compare diesel to diesel you will find LOTS of complaints for both. Maintenance costs are probably higher with the MB or modern diesels in general but as stated earlier not everyone buys an RV to save money.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #14
Site Team

For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to see one, this is the OM-651 2.1L 4 cyl diesel in my Sprinter. It is a twin turbo (sequential) and puts out a whopping 161 HP and 265 ft-lb of torque. With 3.92 gears and the 7-speed automatic trans, it isn't going to win any races, but moves along quite well for a van this size, even loaded to capacity.

I'm not going to tell you that this is the best choice for a motorhome platform. It simply can't be compared to a Ford V10 or other diesel engine offerings. As said above, they are built for efficency in mostly commercial applications. Real world mileage on my Sprinter 2500 has been as high as 29 mpg on the highway with a lifetime average of 22+ mpg. Again, we are speaking of a van configuration and not a motorhome. But, for what they are, they are quite the solid performer.
Attached Thumbnails
20201021_183434.jpg  
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to see one, this is the OM-651 2.1L 4 cyl diesel in my Sprinter. It is a twin turbo (sequential) and puts out a whopping 161 HP and 265 ft-lb of torque. With 3.92 gears and the 7-speed automatic trans, it isn't going to win any races, but moves along quite well for a van this size, even loaded to capacity.

I'm not going to tell you that this is the best choice for a motorhome platform. It simply can't be compared to a Ford V10 or other diesel engine offerings. As said above, they are built for efficency in mostly commercial applications. Real world mileage on my Sprinter 2500 has been as high as 29 mpg on the highway with a lifetime average of 22+ mpg. Again, we are speaking of a van configuration and not a motorhome. But, for what they are, they are quite the solid performer.
I hope the rumors are true that the 4cyl is coming back into the line up. I am looking at replacing the 2013 van and even though I said I wouldn't buy another diesel I am l leaning that way. The Transit is appealing but the cockpit is just too cramped for me. I just don't know enough about the Sprinter gasser.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I hope the rumors are true that the 4cyl is coming back into the line up. I am looking at replacing the 2013 van and even though I said I wouldn't buy another diesel I am l leaning that way. The Transit is appealing but the cockpit is just too cramped for me. I just don't know enough about the Sprinter gasser.
I almost talked myself in to a AWD Transit when they first appeared last spring. I really want a AWD/4x4 van the next time around. My impression of the driving experience if the Transit was less than stellar. Maybe if I wouldn't have owned the Sprinter first I would have a different impression. But, it really didn't impress me that much.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #17

Comfort

Looking at the specs for motors is only a piece of it. The important consideration for my wife and I were the driving dynamics. We wanted a motorhome that she would feel comfortable driving. The Sprinter is a great ride especially after adding a beefier rear sway and sumo springs. She has all wheel disc brakes a well. We call her our "Fat Gazelle". Rather then avoiding the narrow winding road we look forward to it. The Ford driving experience did not come close. My wife recently finished a 3,500 mile solo trip and was happy as a clam.
kayakkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

Our sprinter is the Entegra Quest which is a modified version of the Melbourne Prestige made by Jayco.
kayakkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #19

Most of the sprinter chassis has very little CCC.

Lazy Daze made a Ford Class C diesel.
Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #20

Diesel

I think cost is big reason C class don't use diesels. My 35GS with a Duramax is much quieter than a E450 with the V10. The V10 was down shifting wanting to turn 4000+ rpm on the least grade. The Duramax, set cruise at 70 and forget it. No engine screaming.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote