Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

WiFi on the go

Looking for suggestions and information on WiFi for our Greyhawk. My wife works from home and often needs to get online to complete tasks. I'm looking for something that's not dependent on us having cellular service and that works while we're moving or stopped.

Any information appreciated.

2010 Greyhawk 31SS
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Wifi on the go would have to be cellular service and not campground wifi, which are two different things. You could use public wifi, like McDonalds but that would get old pretty fast when searching for a place to connect. Some do it, but not me.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
Looking for suggestions and information on WiFi for our Greyhawk. My wife works from home and often needs to get online to complete tasks. I'm looking for something that's not dependent on us having cellular service and that works while we're moving or stopped.

2010 Greyhawk 31SS

That sounds satellite communications to me. Have you looked into that?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

I've not looked into satellite comms. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

I'm looking for a "hot spot" plan or something like a satellite communications plan. I too dont want to drive around trying to find some public wifi. I dont mind paying. I could write the cost off as a business expense.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Verizon prepaid "unlimited" data plan. $65 a month
Plan is on their website.

Most carriers have some pretty good plans right now.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
I've not looked into satellite comms. Do you have any suggestions?
The two Satellite providers that I'm aware of are Globalstar and Iridium. Back when I was still backpacking I would sometimes carry a Globalstar Sat Phone depending on just how remote I was planning to be. You can check them out here:

Iridium
Globalstar
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

We have an at&t hotspot that travels with us. Very dependable and reliable service
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

Making a comment to follow how this turns out. I may need this info one of these days.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #10

Satellite internet is not without its challenges - moving or not. Latency is often an issue for applications like chat, or voice.

I'm speaking with ZERO experience, but I'd be surprised it a consumer grade Satellite receiver tracks well enough while moving to avoid an outage.

IMHO - if you're moving, you really only have one option and that's cellular. You can't travel down the interstate and hop from WiFi access point to access point. That ain't going to work.

I've got a small router in the RV. All computers connect to that router. That router, in turn, connects to a cellular hotspot for internet access.

What's likely next on the buy list is a Cellular Signal Booster.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

Just remember, depending on where you travel you may have areas with little to no cell service. And even in areas where Cell service is available, you may not be able to maintain a good wifi connection. I can't speak to the east half of the country, but in the west, you have vast areas off the interstate where you have no cell service. And, even if you have good cell service, in tourist areas when crowded you will be challenged to use wifi, the cell service slows down to a crawl. The whole world is not wired like downtown NY.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:

2010 Greyhawk 31SS
Nothing exists!

Why don't you want to use cellular service?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #13
Site Team

We used to use a Verizon MIFI unit. Your only semi dependable option will be a hotspot with one of the major carriers. Now that we have a unlimited data plan, we just use the smart phone hotspot feature.

You didn't mention how much "work" she will have to do online but I would venture that the sat route would be cost prohibitive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #14

Lots of campgrounds in Maine use satellite Internet for business. The reception is so iffy that wifi is not made available to their campers. One campground makes email available from 5:30-6pm each day.

Viasat and Hughesnet are the only US providers. It'll cost you..

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Looking for suggestions and information on WiFi for our Greyhawk. My wife works from home and often needs to get online to complete tasks...
Some questions:

At home, how is your wife's computer connected to the Internet? Wi-Fi, Ethernet cable or using a mobile device like an iPhone with a Personal Hotspot connected to the computer via a USB/Lightning cable? Are there any other devices (like a printer) that are Wi-Fi connected?

Do you have any other devices in your Greyhawk that require Internet accessibility (televisions, Blu-ray players, alarm systems, etc.)? These need to be considered too. My two Vizio TV's, Sony Blu-ray player, Nexia thermostat and Chamberlain garage door opener in my home all require Internet access. I think you might be surprised by the number of devices in your RV that can or do need an Internet connection.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
2010 Greyhawk 31SS
You did not mention how much data you need to transmit/receive. Is she using a data hog corporate software package, or just uploading small files. Is she working while in motion or at the CG? Most of the following information was copied from a previous post I made....
---------------------
There are a few things you can do.

Cell / Cell data service:

First I would recommend a cell phone signal booster. The first thing to remember when buying these units is, "You get what you pay for!". I went out an purchased a Commercial version, Uniden U65 (about $450). I opted for an exterior "Directional Antenna" and a interior "Directional Antenna". I figured since the TT is stationary and the directional antenna has better performance than a omni directional antenna.

For your situation I would go with the Exterior Omni directional antenna for use while on the road. For the interior antenna, I also went with a directional antenna. Omni directional antennas can have the signals bleed out to the exterior antenna and will reduce the signal strength. Mine faces away from the exterior antenna. Your cell phone and MiFi data will also be improved with the booster.

So, how well does this system perform. We are in the mountains in a valley. There are 2K' and 4K' high mountains between the TT and the cell tower that is 4.3 miles away. Without the Uniden signal booster, we get a solid "0" or max "1" bar, sending pictures never happened. Inside the TT, forget about using the cell phone. Now, inside the TT we get 4 bars and the iPhone pictures are sent within 4 - 5 seconds. I have nothing but good things to say about the Uniden 65. Mine is about 3 years old and is setup for 3G, but all cell phones work on it.

Since you have a Class "C", I would recommend an "Omni" directional exterior antenna. This will allow you to use the Cellphone Signal booster while you are driving around. Stick with the directional antenna for the interior. You can mount the exterior antenna on the rear ladder.

Internet Wi-Fi signal boosters:

Here again "You get what you pay for!". For the Wi-Fi signal boosters I would not recommend the ones that plug into your USB port or do not have an external antenna. I am on my second EnGenius Wi-Fi signal extender (Booster). I upgraded to a more powerful EnGenius ENS202EXT model ($75 on Amazon) from my original one, and have a regular Wi-Fi router like in most homes. Once they are set up, you can change the AP (access point) using an app on your tablet/smart phone. You need to tell the units which AP you want to connect to (campground, McDonald's, Home Depot, Lowes, Major Truck stops.....).

With the ENS202EXT (EXTernal antenna) I was able to connect to a Home Depot store that was located (with in view) on a higher location about 1.5 miles away, and watch a home baseball game on my SlingBox at home. Should I have been using Home Depot's Wi-Fi, well if you saw what I deposit in their annual net income account, they should have been running a cable to my TT, but there again, your service will only be as good as the AP you are connected to and the data service the CG is getting from their ISP. You can also mount the Omni Directional Wi-Fi signal booster antenna on the rear ladder.

Below are 2 screen shots of how the Uniden65 Cellular Signal Booster performs in pretty nasty weather up here in the mountains. You can see the cell signal strength in the upper left corner, 1 Bar with the unit unplugged (pause for lightning/thunder) and 4 bars for cell Signal booster on, even in the middle of this nasty electrical storm. Also the interior Cell Directional antenna.

I took a quick look and noticed that he UnidenU65 model has been replaced with an upgraded version the UnidenU60.

Just remember, you get what you pay for! Between purchasing a QUALITY product for each of these technologies, you should have no problems... provided there is a signal available. W

Good Luck,

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - Cell Phone 1 Bar.jpg   MISC - Cell Phone 4 Bars.jpg   MISC - Cell Directional Anetnna.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #17

Just ordered a U60 with your praise. Flat internal antenna also. Talk to chat and they'll find 15% or so off. The alternate Weboost RV is $500 and I just couldn't bring myself to buy. The counter-top antenna configuration with limited distance didn't work for me. No sales tax!
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #18

These boosters only work if there is a signal outside, correct? IE if my phone has no signal at all outside, its not going to change anything is it?

As far as satellite, it is useless for anything by browsing web sites or downloading files. If you are like me and use VOIP, uploading and numerous other latency sensitive tasks, it is useless.

I had ATT when I bought my RV. However, they did not offer unlimited 4g data without going to a fairly expensive plan. Even then using a computer to connect over it (tethering, wifi sharing whatever you want to call it) was limited in bandwidth to like 12GB combined for both my wifes and my phone. Then it dropped to 2G speed

I found TMOBILE had much better plans at a much lower cost, so I switched. I now get unlimited data at 4G speed on my phone. For tethering, I got 20 GB of 4G Speed for EACH phone, total 40GB. When it runs out, it drops to 3G speed, not 2G. On top of that, I am finding that Tmobile shows that I used far less of my limit then ATT. With ATT it would show I used almost all of my 12GB. With Tmobile, only 1-2 GB for the same time.

I have found so far that the RV parks either have high cell reception or no reception (may vary as I am in the SE, not west coast). Its now part of my comparison of parks when I choose one. I found some park review/searches that include cell reception for different carriers.
Solbkeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solbkeston View Post
These boosters only work if there is a signal outside, correct? IE if my phone has no signal at all outside, its not going to change anything is it?
Easy answer is correct, the real answer is 'it depends'. If you have a yagi or log periodic antenna (something with gain) up on a mast mounted to your RV, you can get signals that you can't get with your phone SOMETIMES. I often camp at a campground that has no coverage, but with this setup, I can get enough signal to surf and make phone calls. The people camping around me look at me funny when I'm sitting by the booster antenna in my chair talking on the phone. They didn't think it's possible.

Regarding T-Mobile, it's junk, it won't work in the above scenario. I use a mobley on ATT for $20 month unlimited, used 30 to 60 gig's in one month without issues. Also picked up a mifi from Verizon. I already have prepaid device with them so adding this was $50 a month with unlimited as well. Between the 2 and the booster, I haven't found a spot where I can't get something working.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #20

In BC, Canada, there's a "Smart Hub" portable modem that works off cell towers. Here you purchase the hub, and pay a monthly fee to be able to use it. Good service, very portable.
spoonymooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote