Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Smile Wifi repeater cable routing 2019 Seneca 37fs

I have a WiFi repeater setup and either want to mount the external antenna on one of the external mirrors or on the roof but need to find the best way to route the cable inside to the top of the media cabinet which in this model is inside the main cabin door.

Any suggestions for the best routing?
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

I'm becoming less and less a fan of these setups. We have used our Mikrotik SXT directional wireless access point in over 50 RV parks, and the overwhelming conclusion is that ALL RV parks have the worst WiFi. McDonalds had better Free WiFi than all of the parks we visited.

DW and I both work while we are out on the road, I am an IT manager and a Network Engineer that manages our connectivity while we are on the road in our Seneca for months at a time.

Most of the Park managers had no understanding of what / how /why their WiFi networks worked (or should say did not work) and I have to say that those that did work well - had a subscription fee for upgraded WiFi service that was hosted/administered by an outside WISP. Some of them were $10/day - and were worth it if you did not have a secondary solution.

WiFi in a park, is usually limited to what they can get "into the park" and then everyone shares what that has... At worst, take 20mbs and divide it by 100 connections that are using it... No matter what the extender is capable of helping get to your unit, your piece of the network pie is pretty small and inconsistent a lot of the time -

Edit: oh, forgot the main question you asked...
We set up our SXT outside of our Seneca, depending on which direction the strongest/reliable/stable access point is located. I run the Cat-5 cable out the doors of the Seneca cab depending on which side/direction it might be - sometimes changing it to another AP during the week. I hang the SXT on the Freightliner Mirrors with Zip-Ties.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

I agree in general with the assessment of th RV Parks WiFi. I too am an IT prof when I do have to work on the road I use a company mifi. The rest of the family though would use the WiFi repeater. Most of the family use is casual and local things to search can still be frustrating because the camp WiFi can never handle the load asked of it because they don’t size the WiFi networks for maximum capacity especially for holiday weekends. eventual plans would be to setup a nice Cradlepoint with a internet connection of its own. Meanwhile we will still be trying to use the repeater setup.

Hoping to find a good route either along the same path as the satellite antenna setup or standard tv antenna path. Fingers crossed - would prefer not to have to set it up ever time.

Thanks for the reply though.
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Agree with all comments and also with the intro of streaming video like Netflix, etc Most park wifi's are overwhelmed most of the time.

No matter how strong your signal, the bandwidth for you is limited to a slow email or two except early in the morning or late at night.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
I agree in general with the assessment of th RV Parks WiFi. I too am an IT prof when I do have to work on the road I use a company mifi. The rest of the family though would use the WiFi repeater. Most of the family use is casual and local things to search can still be frustrating because the camp WiFi can never handle the load asked of it because they don’t size the WiFi networks for maximum capacity especially for holiday weekends. eventual plans would be to setup a nice Cradlepoint with a internet connection of its own. Meanwhile we will still be trying to use the repeater setup.

Hoping to find a good route either along the same path as the satellite antenna setup or standard tv antenna path. Fingers crossed - would prefer not to have to set it up ever time.

Thanks for the reply though.
I wish that the satellite offerings were able to piggy-back on our Direct receiver, what is available right now is not worth it to us.

Instead, we use three phones on a family plan with unlimited tethering. And we know that Unlimited is really capped at 40gb, so we have the option of connecting to each of the three phones. Most of the places we visited have excellent LTE bandwidth that supports all of our needs on one tethering connection. We use our same SXT in CPE mode to connect to the strongest signal of the three phones (or sometimes a RV park AP) and the SXT will switch to another available connection if I happen to wander away with my phone. From there - it goes into our wired network in our Seneca to support our two IPSec boxes we use to connect to our work networks.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable routing wifi