Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #1

Will be doing our PDI next week. What do you wish

you had asked about? 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. What problem areas should we look at to ensure we will be happy with our purchase? We will be staying the night at the dealerships full hook-up area to familiarize ourselves with the unit so will have time to check it out thoroughly I think.

Thanks for any advice,

TriumphRider
TriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Staying at/close to the dealership for a night (or two) is a GREAT idea. I'm not familiar with the Greyhawk, so I have no insight into specifics for that MH.

In general, two things that confuse many new owners are the slides and leveling systems. So, if possible, I'd suggest 'breaking camp' at some point, driving the rig on the road, and then return and set the MH up for another overnight stay.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #3

A new unit can have a host of "issues" so I would set up and break camp several times while at the dealerships site. Extending and retracting the slides & canopy several times to check for smooth operation, and then check each and every item front to back, and then back to front, such as the water systems for leaks, HWH, etc., making notes/questions to ask about. Even finding the location and testing the inverter/converter and what it actually charges/does is not always clear in the owners manuals. A trip around the block would not hurt either but that could be a pain depending on the location of dealership/traffic, etc.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! As I was writing my post I knew that the correct answer would be check EVERYTHING! The wife and I are upgrading from a small, relatively simple trailer so this will be a little daunting!

We will definitely try and keep good notes as we are doing the orientation. There are a lot of new things about this rig (like the aforementioned leveling system) that we have never dealt with before.

Fortunately the dealer is not too far from our base and our first scheduled outing is also close to home and them so if there are any (hopefully small) issues we can get them ironed out before things get real with a trip to California at the end of April.

TriumphRider
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Site Team

May be nice to ask where the jack and lug wrench are stored, and where the jack-up points are located underneath.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

I found our PDI was done by someone kind of fumbling around trying to figure it out as he went. Ended up doing my own with lists found online, the manuals, and personal past experience. Next time I will download the manuals first and build a specific list just to match my RV, then send that to the dealer as what I want to cover at least the week before my PDI. The guy doing my PDI had the best of intentions but while familiar with RVs wasn't up to speed on what was in my RV.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
May be nice to ask where the jack and lug wrench are stored, and where the jack-up points are located underneath.
Great suggestion, hadn't thought of that. When I bought my used truck a few years ago, I didn't check that stuff for quite a while but when I did found that there was no lug wrench at all! Glad I wasn't at the side of the road when I did find out...

ETA: I have been going over the manual from Jayco, all 180 pages of it. Hope I get the orientation from someone who knows this MH, but it must be hard to know everything about all the RV's at the dealership.

TriumphRider
Old 03-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphRider View Post
you had asked about? 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. What problem areas should we look at to ensure we will be happy with our purchase? We will be staying the night at the dealerships full hook-up area to familiarize ourselves with the unit so will have time to check it out thoroughly I think.

Thanks for any advice,

TriumphRider

If your rig doesn't have one a ladder, make them get one for you and check all penetrations, screw heads, anchor points, etc up on the roof.
Open and close every door and drawer...verify drawer bottoms are mounted securely...seen lots of poorly built drawers.
A simple way to check every outlet is to have your phone charger with you...plug into every outlet and make sure you have juice.
I'm sure I'm forgetting several things, but those are easily overlooked.

Good luck...don't let them rush through the inspection, because they will do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
If your rig doesn't have one a ladder, make them get one for you and check all penetrations, screw heads, anchor points, etc up on the roof.
Open and close every door and drawer...verify drawer bottoms are mounted securely...seen lots of poorly built drawers.
A simple way to check every outlet is to have your phone charger with you...plug into every outlet and make sure you have juice.
I'm sure I'm forgetting several things, but those are easily overlooked.

Good luck...don't let them rush through the inspection, because they will do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Another good idea regarding the outlets. I'll take my tester which identifies several potential wiring issues.

Like Ray earlier posted, I downloaded and printed a very extensive checklist so will be using it to pace ourselves during the PDI.

TriumphRider
Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Since the excitement and anticipation will be keeping you up at night, put a pad and pencil next to the bed, and when you wake up in the middle of the night with a profound question to ask them, or a dream filled with camping accessories, jot them down.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Something else no one mentioned.
When we got our trailer one thing we noticed after we got the unit home was the bathroom door was crooked at the top. Also, You could see thru the bathroom door at the strike plate if you were within 3 feet of the bathroom door (trying to look into the bathroom while standing next to the pantry). (Fix was to put foam rubber all the way from top to bottom.

Another thing we found was the coat hooks were mounted crooked and the radio/DVD player didn't work right. When playing the radio, it kept skipping stations.

Another issue, was we found a small bump in the floor and found it to be a nail working its way up under the linoleum.

backsplash foil at the kitchen sink and stove was all wrinkled at the bottom where it goes under the window trim.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #12

If the dealership has water hook up, check out all the plumbing for leaks. Use the stereo and entertainment systems surround sound etc to make sure they were wired correctly. Bring a note book and take notes and pictures. Record with your phone multiple step procedures. Take a picture of your hot water system in both by pass setting and in use setting. Run furnace and A/C which may be difficult due to the outside temps. Good luck. We are doing our PDI in two weeks are are getting excited about the new season.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #13

We've had ours since last July and the only real problem was stress reacking on front cap. Located below decal on flat contour of cap. See my post and pictures in tapatalk.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #14

All good advice, guys, thanks! The list keeps growing and is starting to look like something NASA would be proud of! I hope we get a patient person to do the PDI...

dgantz, I tried searching in tapatalk for more info about your problem, but I guess I don't understand that website. Can you give me a brief synopsis? Thanks!

TriumphRider
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #15

Don't forget to crawl around underneath as well. Check for loose/sagging wiring and propane lines, as well as anything else that just doesn't look right.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #16

Listed under this forum (Jayco Class C Motorhome) see "Stress Cracking on front cap below Greyhawk decal"
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #17
Site Team

(snip) " I hope we get a patient person to do the PDI."

They should take as much time as you require to understand the systems. They are there for you, the paying customer, and it's part of the sale, and their job. Don't let them rush you through it. It'll be to their benefit to make YOU happy! Good luck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 03-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #18

dgantz, found it. Wow! Between yours and some other posters issues in that thread I'm starting to question the whole decision to buy a Jayco! It seemed to us that Jayco was a little higher quality than the other commonly available (and affordable) RV's.

I know that any company can and will have quality issues. And at least in your case it sounds like Jayco stood behind the warranty, but sheesh! What a PITA!

I guess all we can do at this point is hope for the best and carry on...

JFlight, we will be persistent. I have a feeling the dealer will be happy to see us finally leave

TriumphRider
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Site Team

snip):"I have a feeling the dealer will be happy to see us finally leave" I think ours was. But he was still clutching our check, so I think everyone was happy. We dickered for about two hours, went out back and looked the TT over a couple of times, and after the salesman had made two trips into "the office" , the guy came out and dealt with us directly. There really was "a guy" in there! Most of all, have fun with it. It's part of the journey!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
(snip) " I hope we get a patient person to do the PDI."

They should take as much time as you require to understand the systems. They are there for you, the paying customer, and it's part of the sale, and their job. Don't let them rush you through it. It'll be to their benefit to make YOU happy! Good luck.
X2.... Like JFlightRisk stated, DO NOT let them hurry you thru the PDI.

They like to do that because the sooner they get rid of you, the less likely you will find issues to fix now before your take your new toy off their lot.

After we had the PDI person, (usually a technician and not always the sales person) go over everything and showed us how to make everything work, We started taking out time really testing everything. I could detect the impatience of my person doing the PDI with us and finally, I told him if he had has something else he needed to do, go ahead, we will come get him AFTER we check everything out. We mad a list of the things we found or questioned, went and got him back out to the trailer and got most of the issues resolved before we left.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote