Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Window film?

Seems to me that mirrored darkening window film at least in the bed room is a good idea. Keep it cooler, LOTS more privacy and still be able to look out the window. Well, if it's such a good idea how come I don't see any RVs, trailers or motor homes so equipped?

Please advise!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #2

I saw a fifth wheel with that film on the windows just last weekend. I probably wouldn't have noticed, but I'm always looking for ways to reduce heat load in my rig.

Primary problem in my case is there's no way DW would go for it; she doesn't like the "look".

I think I'm going to try an additional tint layer inside our rig. We did that at the S&B house, and it helped, and it wasn't all that difficult or expensive.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
Seems to me that mirrored darkening window film at least in the bed room is a good idea. Keep it cooler, LOTS more privacy and still be able to look out the window. Well, if it's such a good idea how come I don't see any RVs, trailers or motor homes so equipped?

Please advise!
Mirrored tint used on homes... is not permitted on vehicles in many states. Any window of an RV falls under the same requirements of rear-door or rear window.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Mirrored tint used on homes... is not permitted on vehicles in many states. Any window of an RV falls under the same requirements of rear-door or rear window.
In Texas, there are no restrictions on tint on the side windows to the rear of the driver. There is only a restriction on the tint of the rear window if there are no (or inadequate) side mirrors.

The only restriction on "reflectance" values apply to the windshield and the side windows to the right and left of the driver.

ETA Source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/con...windowTint.htm

ETA More: OP seems to be referencing a towable unit for whatever that's worth. I'm guessing there are only reflectance restrictions on those if at all. Think about how much an Airstream or a stainless or aluminum panel on a trailer reflect...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5

There are lots of types of window tint out there. Google can be your friend.

I found one many years ago when I had skylights at my old house. It was clear film, made by 3M, don't recall model #. As I recall it was suppose to do really good at reflecting the UV and IR wavelengths. It was not designed for skylights due to the roof angle to the sun. But I really liked the concept.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
OP seems to be referencing a towable unit for whatever that's worth.
Just an FYI his rig is a MH. Designer 3230 is a Class C
Old 09-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In Texas, there are no restrictions on tint on the side windows to the rear of the driver. There is only a restriction on the tint of the rear window if there are no (or inadequate) side mirrors.

The only restriction on "reflectance" values apply to the windshield and the side windows to the right and left of the driver.

ETA Source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/con...windowTint.htm

ETA More: OP seems to be referencing a towable unit for whatever that's worth. I'm guessing there are only reflectance restrictions on those if at all. Think about how much an Airstream or a stainless or aluminum panel on a trailer reflect...
Check again... My father in law owns a vehicle inspection station.

And here is the law on reflective tint on any windows
https://www.tinting-laws.com/texas/

Old 09-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Check again... My father in law owns a vehicle inspection station.

And here is the law on reflective tint on any windows
https://www.tinting-laws.com/texas/
With all due respect, I would rather depend on a direct source than a "summary" source site like the one you linked. I linked the actual Texas Department of Public Safety website.

And that being said, BOTH sites clearly state that in Texas there are NO RESTRICTIONS on tint to windows rearward of the driver, except for the rear facing window. ("rear" window in this case means "rear-facing"; as distinct from "side windows to the right, left or rear of the driver")

I did make one error though. On the TX DPS website, it does restrict the "luminous reflectance" on the REAR window, as well as the windshield and windows to the right and left of the driver. It does NOT have a restriction on "luminous reflectance" for side windows rear of the driver.

Quote from DPS website: "Side windows to the rear of the driver: These windows are completely exempted from regulation under the Texas Transportation Code."

Also, copied/pasted directly out of TX Administrative Code:

(3) Side Windows. The vehicle type determines the specific windows affected.

(A) Passenger vehicles. All side windows of the vehicle must have at least a 25% light transmission value and luminous reflectance of 25% or less, over the entire surface area of the window.

(B) Buses, vans, club wagons, motor homes, trucks and truck tractors, and multipurpose vehicles. Windows to the immediate left and right of the operator must have at least a 25% light transmission value and luminous reflectance of 25% or less, over the entire surface area of the window. Side windows to the rear of the driver, both left and right, have no minimum requirement for light transmission.

(4) Rear (back) windows for passenger, bus, van, club wagon, motor home, truck and truck tractor, and multipurpose vehicles.

(A) If the vehicle has left and right outside mirrors that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.

(B) If the vehicle is not equipped with both a left and right side outside mirrors that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle, the rear window must have a 25% light transmission value for the area used for driver visibility value. A glazing shade band is authorized at the topmost portion of the rear window, as with the windshield. The shade band area is authorized to have less than 25% light transmission. The device must have a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.

What I find interesting is the distinction between "passenger vehicles" and other vehicles. So, that means I have a 25% restriction on my Chevy Malibu for essentially ALL windows, but virtually NO restriction on windows rear of the driver on my Ram 2500 4x4?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

The OP does not live in Texas... In the home state of registration - Delaware, and the surrounding states.. Reflective tint is not allowed on any windows.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
The OP does not live in Texas... In the home state of registration - Delaware, and the surrounding states.. Reflective tint is not allowed on any windows.
Good point. And a perfect example of the importance of knowing the laws in your state.

From experience, I can tell you that some automotive tint installers will willfully and flippantly install "illegal" tint. When I had tint installed on my truck, it's a good thing I knew the law because the installer actually suggested installing darker tint on my front side windows saying "no one's going to bother you about it". Umm hmm, sure buddy, no thanks.

In Texas, vehicle inspection stations seem to be facing increased scrutiny, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had a meter to test the tint come inspection time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #11

I just had SunTek film installed on my North Point 5'er, I'll report back this summer and hopefully my AC's can keep up! $1150 or so with tip. I chose a secuirty film I think it is with a 3mil thickness with very little light disruption so its not like we are in a cave inside but it is supposed to block something like 60% of UV heat.
Wind Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #12

Regardless of laws, mirrored film has the opposite effect at night and the reason I don't care for it. At night when it is dark outside, and you have your lights on inside, you can't see out but everyone can see in. I would choose a non-reflective film with a high uv-block percentage instead of a mirrored film. ~CA
Old 03-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #13

in AZ, its warm at times, so wife wanted cab windows tinted, 1000% improvement,
guy I use is in Las Vegas, ( the tint shop las vegas) been using him for 20+ yrs,
he installed ceramic (D9 ??) no night time vision issues, but dramatic daytime reduction of heat transfer!.
I thought of doing coach windows, and wife said, WTF are those 2 different curtains for?
as we have the see thru and complete blockage type ( which I think are standard on alot of rv's)
as far as the "look" of tinted windows, I like it very much, ALL of our cars and trucks are tinted all around,
1oldmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #14

In all our RVs we installed the darkest tint we could find on the windows. It does help a lot in keeping rig cooler. I also installed the silver bubble stuff between the sky light layers in the shower. We do not like the Crome looking tint because at night it is easy see thru. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote