Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

WindyNation RV batteries

Does anyone use WendyNation 12 volt AGM batteries in their motorhome?

If you do, how has it held up during dry camping or boondocking and how do you like it? Did it fit into your existing battery container space in your motorhome or did you have to modify the space?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
Does anyone use WendyNation 12 volt AGM batteries in their motorhome?

If you do, how has it held up during dry camping or boondocking and how do you like it? Did it fit into your existing battery container space in your motorhome or did you have to modify the space?

Jaytalk, this battery should work. I checked and the size should fit the compartment and pull out tray. It does weigh more. The main thing to consider is charging. I copied the following from RVShare website. It's good information on charging your batteries. I would not use the factory builtin converter / charger with the AGM battery your looking at. Read the following and see why.

The convertor/charger is built into every RV. These chargers either overcharge your batteries or undercharge them. These convertors/chargers are one stage chargers. This means that they provide a big charge continuously. If you leave your RV connected to the electric supply indefinitely, your batteries will cook.

RV Battery Charging

When your RV is connected to an electric outlet, the batteries charge. An RV Converter/Charger that converts the power from the grid into 12volt DC and then channels this to the adapter is fitted into every RV.
Purchase a 3 stage charger if your RV doesn’t have one.

Do not use the inbuilt charger during storage. Manufacturers have to cuts costs where they can; a 3 stage charger will be more effective.

Batteries need to be charged in 3 stages. The first stage is the bulk charge which your inbuilt charger will give. This will usually get your RV battery up to 80 or 90% charge

An acceptance charge, which is the second stage of charging then, happens. This slowly tapers off as the battery gets close to full charge. The third stage allows only a trickle of power to the batteries until they are fully charged and keeps the trickle coming to keep it topped off.

Remember: Buy a 3 stage charger to protect your RV batteries.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Jaytalk, this battery should work. I checked and the size should fit the compartment and pull out tray. It does weigh more. The main thing to consider is charging. I copied the following from RVShare website. It's good information on charging your batteries. I would not use the factory builtin converter / charger with the AGM battery your looking at. Read the following and see why.

The convertor/charger is built into every RV. These chargers either overcharge your batteries or undercharge them. These convertors/chargers are one stage chargers. This means that they provide a big charge continuously. If you leave your RV connected to the electric supply indefinitely, your batteries will cook.

RV Battery Charging

When your RV is connected to an electric outlet, the batteries charge. An RV Converter/Charger that converts the power from the grid into 12volt DC and then channels this to the adapter is fitted into every RV.

Do not use the inbuilt charger during storage. Manufacturers have to cuts costs where they can; a 3 stage charger will be more effective.

Batteries need to be charged in 3 stages. The first stage is the bulk charge which your inbuilt charger will give. This will usually get your RV battery up to 80 or 90% charge

An acceptance charge, which is the second stage of charging then, happens. This slowly tapers off as the battery gets close to full charge. The third stage allows only a trickle of power to the batteries until they are fully charged and keeps the trickle coming to keep it topped off.

Cabinetmaker,

Thanks for the information. How do we know if the factory install charger is in the three state charger that's referenced in the literature you looked at? If it's not, what kind of battery should be used with the factory install charger?

Again thanks!
Old 04-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #4

I think you should look up the model of your charged before buying anything new, I need to confirm this, but my TT came with a 3-stage charger stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

RV Battery Charging

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I think you should look up the model of your charged before buying anything new, I need to confirm this, but my TT came with a 3-stage charger stock.
Yes that's a good idea. I've looked at the owners manual and it looks like it's some sort of three cycle charger, but I'm not sure.

Again,

Thanks!