Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #1

Winter camping

Hi, We just got a 2023 Redhawk Class C motorhome and will be winter camping with night time temps teens to 20's. Is the furnace strong enough to keep us warm at 60 degrees? Brrrr! Thanks
lalawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawton View Post
Hi, We just got a 2023 Redhawk Class C motorhome and will be winter camping with night time temps teens to 20's. Is the furnace strong enough to keep us warm at 60 degrees? Brrrr! Thanks

If you have enough propane sure. You might have to worry about exposed water lines and connections. They will freeze up at night and then the worry becomes the plastic line connections. The lines will likely take short term freezes. Plastic Ts and connections will not.

There is a great wealth of information on low temp camping by using the search feature and Google. Elk hunting at temps 10 F and above and the inside temp at 55, with a heated underbelly, we could go through a couple of 30lb tanks in 7-10 days. Less, if the day time temps did not get above freezing.
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:04 PM   #3

I completely agree w/ CAG. If temps drop into the teens, I'll winterize before going to bed. I've got it down to a 10 minute process.

I've also spent hours underneath the thing wrapping lines, adding heat tape, heating pads, etc because we do a lot of winter camping.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:24 PM   #4

We camp in an HTT down to 19 degrees with no issues, with day time highs in the mid 30s or warmer. We have an open underbelly and do not have an electric fireplace. We use a 1500W (5120BTU) ceramic heater and sometimes we use the 5K BTU electric heat strip in our AC unit. If both are on and both tent ends are open we have woken up to the HTT being 80+ degrees.

As for your MH. I expect the fireplace will do a fine job down into the 20's. Couple things I would recommend. Have a small fan to help distribute the warm air through the MH. Second I could consider picking up a small ceramic heater, just in case the bedroom is a little cooler than you like it.

As for the MH build. Your tanks are exposed like ours. I have never froze them up. We do not have heat pads on ours. I suspect you do, turn them on. The tanks are large and have a huge thermal mass and take a long time to cool off. They will be fine. Bigger issue is your plumbing. I suspect the pipes primarily run under the floor and are fully exposed to the elements. The pipes do not have a huge thermal mass and will freeze first (mine are all inside the TT). There is a true risk of them freezing. A few people have added heat tape along side the piping and then pipe insulation. If the temps are in the upper 20's I would not be concerned, but mid 20's or cooler, the radiant heat off the MH may not be enough to keep them from freezing. Skirting would definitely help.

Good Luck, please report back on how it goes and what you have learned.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #5

Personally I would not use your plumbing system if temps get in the teens. We've camped in cold weather like that and used a couple of 1500 watt heaters. We only have 30amp service, so I'll plug one into the camper and run an extension cord through a hatch and plug it in there. We use bottles of water for wife's coffee, brushing teeth and flushing the toilet. We've always stayed warm enough.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawton View Post
You should be fine. I have never camped in any RV where it got down into the 20's and the furnace would not just "run you out of there" if you turn it up. We generally set our thermostat at 71 and, the furnace will keep it there. The biggest problem for us is condensation.

I carry an electric space heater (Honeywell HeatGenius Ceramic Heater) just to save on propane and as a backup.

Obviously, don't forget about your fresh water intake hose. If you have sewer hookups available, you might just leave a couple of faucets dripping. Otherwise, shut it off and drain it. The hose probably won't burst but, it can take all day to thaw once it freezes.

If your camper is 4 season rated (fully insulated, heated underbelly, heated tank pads), even better.
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:29 AM   #7

Depends how tough you are. My coldest was -8*f with 9" of fresh snow. In a tent camper. My boots froze to the floor 2' away from the furnace. Or the time it was cold enough to crack the hard tops on the slide out bunks on my 70 starcraft constellation 8 pop up.
And you women folk think deer camp is all fun and games.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:44 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by old and soft View Post
depends how tough you are. My coldest was -8*f with 9" of fresh snow. In a tent camper. My boots froze to the floor 2' away from the furnace. Or the time it was cold enough to crack the hard tops on the slide out bunks on my 70 starcraft constellation 8 pop up.
And you women folk think deer camp is all fun and games.

Awesome
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:12 PM   #9

New-ish here too. Tried our first cold night, and saw how just one day starts to eat into propane. We kept it at 70 and we were warm all night. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #10

Since we winter camp, I had my eye open for a propane T connector, "Extend-a-Stay" is a common brand name. I saw one on sale and installed it. It works very well. With these T connectors, you can hook up a plain ol' 20# BBQ tank for extra propane to feed into your RV.