Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Winter camping

Hi everyone,

We're planning on our first winter camping out of Florida in late December in the Asheville, NC area. We have a Greyhawk 31DS. Is there anything I need to be concerned with? I don't think we'll be hitting freezing temps for very long if at all. But it makes me wonder what I should be ready for if that does happen.

Thank everyone,

Jason
JasonVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

You should get a dehumidifier to help with the moisture.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Jason, I looked up the average monthly temperatures in Asheville, and I'm guessing you won't have to do anything. I would be ready to drain the fresh water system if the temperatures get into the 20's. If it got into the 20's and stayed there for a few days you could consider insulating your holding tank discharge pipes. They can freeze even if you have tank heaters. I have wrapped those pipes with a heat strip (120v) and a blanket and didn't have any problems at 16 degrees.

We hang a blanket (double layer of fleece sewn together) from the bunk to the floor. We have a privacy cover over the windshield, but still lost a lot of heat through the front of the rig. The blanket separates that area and keeps the heat in the coach. We used less heat and it was more even.

A big drop in temperature would also be reason to check your tire pressure.

Will you be plugged into shore power? A 120v source makes cold weather camping much easier with electric heaters (there is a recent thread). Watch your amps usage.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

We'll be staying here: http://www.mamagerties.com/ Yes we'll be on shore power (30 amp). Weather doesn't look that bad: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+NC+28778:4:US Great advice about loosing heat through the front of the cab. Never thought of that for some reason. We'll fill the fresh tank every day or two since we won't be able to leave the hose connected due the possibility of freezing. We'll probably take some grey/black tank antifreeze too. Just bought a surge protector/voltage regulator too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Don't want to fry anything. This will be a learning experience!

Jason
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #5

With that weather forecast the only thing you have to do is enjoy yourselves. Mama Gertie's looks like an excellent place. You are thinking correctly, so you won't have problems. Which means you are anticipating what could go wrong and doing something about it before it happens.

During freezing weather, when we're on a FHU site, I drain everything at night and start over again in the morning. It doesn't take long and it's easier each time you do it. When drained, we keep a gallon of water on the counter, and 5 gallons in a separate container.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Jason,
Excellent choice on Mama Gerties! You will love it. The DW & I stayed there bout 2 years ago. They've got the nicest bath house(s) we've seen anywhere. Be sure to visit Biltmore House while in Asheville. Also be sure to spend mucho deniero while in NC. Our tax base could use the infusion of tourism $$$

Hope you enjoy your visit to NC!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
"They've got the nicest bath house(s) we've seen anywhere." by Kave&Lucky
... so there you have it, Jason. One more reason not to worry about weather. Using public facilities is easier, if you don't mind the "public" part. If they're clean and close, we use them.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

We've been to the Asheville area a lot, just the first time in an RV. I bought 3 gallons of tank antifreeze ($13). Topped off the on-board LP and 20 pound LP tanks. (that was about $3, lol). I think that with the expected temps I'll be ok letting the grey and black tanks fill up (with antifreeze). And if I heard correctly, the fresh water tank gets enough heat from the coach that I shouldn't worry about that much. I do worry about unprotected water lines. I will open the cabinets at night. I may use the bathhouse some, but I sure like my private shower for convenience. I think the park will be just about empty. They told me I could pick whatever site I wanted when I get there and that we can have the site next to use for our dolly and Jeep parking. I think she might have said something about crazy Floridians wanting to camp when it's cold. I am a photographer so I think I'll take some photos for them. The website could use some new, bigger pics.

As for the Biltmore. $60 per person. Never been there, but I hear Christmas is a must see.

We're also planning a short trip to do a little Jeeping here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc...49004&actid=93

These are other options we're looking into doing in case you have any opinions:

http://www.visitnc.com/event/festiva...chetola-resort

http://www.visitnc.com/event/hometow...herford-county

http://www.visitnc.com/event/west-je...as-celebration

We'll also be looking around more to see what part of the area we want to move to (Black Mountain seems to be the front-runner). We love it there too much to have to drive 10 hours to get there! We really appreciate all of your input. So glad this forum exists!

Jason
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

A super huge thank you to everyone for the words of wisdom. OnTheGo is the bomb with his/her suggestion about blocking off the cab with a blanket. That has been so helpful! We use that area to store soda and wine. We affectionately call it the wine cellar. Lol

We did have some issues this morning. Water pump not pumping and tank drain valves were frozen shut. I found the pump and pur a portable heater on them for a half hour. Also found the tank heater switch! Hopefully tomorrow won't have issues.... We'll see.

Jason and Chistine.

P. S. This camp ground is sooooo quiet and nice!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

If you have shore power, you could leave the light on in the bay where the pump resides.

I too must thank OnTheGo for the blanket solution. Works very well. Looking for some way to make it more permanent with a heavier blanket and proper mounting.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #11

Everything was fine today with the tank heaters on last night. Learned something new!