Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #21

Basement Doors?

Are the Seneca basement storage doors filled with insulation?

Thinking of the Ziebart days when they would drill small holes in the car frames and spray protectorate in every crack.

Thanks...
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #22

I have an 05 greyhawk and do use in pretty cold areas and like the convenience of water, and one trick I use is plugging a light bulb in the compartment where all your water valves are located, close off any air leaks around sewer pipes with rags etc. I also have a thermometer located in that compartment and then, of course I keep the temperature inside warm with the furnace. J
must remember you will burn a lot of propane and your furnace fan will kill your battery fast if you aren't attached to power.
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #23

Cold weather

Looks we will be getting temp’s around 25 to 29 deg. Next week. We are leaving for a camping trip This Thursday but when we return next Monday the temps are going to be below freezing . I useuly store the Grayhawk in a wearhouse but can’t get it there until Tuesday. My question is should I just hook my Home water hose to it and run a trickle water through the facets or drain all the water at the low point drain.
Thanks for any ideas.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #24

I know others have mentioned that, but I have not done that. The good news is that mid 20's isn't all that bad, if it's brief. Like a few hours.

If you have electric - then What I do is leave the heater on.
Set the temp inside to 60* F or better.

And then I toss a small 500 watt electric heater in the Basement area right by the plumbing.

If you don't have electric, then I'd run the furnace and get out there after a day and run the generator to recharge the battery.

To be extra safe, you can toss a half gallon of RV Antifreeze down the toilet to protect the black tank drain valves from residual water.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #25

I guess I just get nervous putting it away for the balance of the winter without winterizing & not have to worry about it, I would drain and blow out the lines and leave open the low point valves then poor antifreeze in P-Traps and toilet to get it into the black tank. You don't say anything about heat in the warehouse you store it in. Is it heated? If so your idea of keeping a trickle of water running for a day or so would probably work as well.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #26

Our North Point 377 RLBH has the 4 seasons package, and I sure hope it works well. We are moving into it tonight, full time, and it has been in the low 20s and teens, and will be for several more days. I have had the propane furnace running for a couple of days so far, but the water has been winterized since we haven't been living in it yet. I will be de-winterizing it tomorrow, so we will have water. This unit has heating ducts in the storage spaces below, so the pipes are supposed to be getting heated. I also have a heated water hose, but if the temps dip into single digits, I intend to fill the tank & unhook the hose. I think my biggest worry will be my tanks at the drain valves. Oh well...here goes nuttin'.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #27

I can't imagine there being a problem, it sounds like they did a good job making it cold weather proof, but I never had a cold weather RV. I thought about installing a heater on the bottom of the black water tank. I installed one on the bottom of the oil pan on my airplane and is an amazing little heater and keeps the whole engine warm. It is 120V which I'm sure you will have in those conditions....Good luck & travels.