Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Winter use prep

Hello all, i have a 2005 34ss super c that i plan on using this November for hunting. I'm looking for ideas and opinions on prepping the rv for winter use in the mid Atlantic region. I currently have no tank heaters etc... on the plumbing. Being a super c my tanks are centrally located and above my frame rails. Just below the floor. So this will help. I was initially thinking of tank heaters for all three tanks and a small space heater In the plumbing compartment run through the inverter and triggered by a temp switch. The unit will sit during the hunting trips through the day with no generator or shore power, battery only. When at home in between trips it will always be plugged in. Thanks in advance
jking24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you have a big enough battery bank during the day you can run tank heathers through an inverter. You have to do the calculations.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

I was thinking 12v heaters for the tanks. I currently have two batterys but I'm thinking of adding a third
Old 06-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Bay temps

I most time in our Seneca and had survived last winter in West Virginia. The Seneca is supposed to have a heated underbelly; this is a term they need to use lightly. I placed “Temp Minder” probes in the water compartments and found that when running on furnace power the bays are only 5 degrees above ambient temperatures. So if it’s 27 degrees outside, you are good to go. However, if it’s 10 degrees outside your bay with be 15 degrees. For this reason, I enclosed the majority of my lines in insulation with heat tape and put heaters in the wet bay and fresh tank bay and made sure I empty the grey every night (I have a composting toilet so black is not a problem but I am sure it takes much colder temps to freeze salty urine). With these mods I was good to 4 degrees. This summer I plan to install fresh water tank heater to eliminate the one bay heater.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Those underbelly's don't have insulation, just chloroplast is installed. In my TT underbelly I installed R20. And heat tape on the discharge and tank valves, also heating from the furnace between the tanks.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
I most time in our Seneca and had survived last winter in West Virginia. The Seneca is supposed to have a heated underbelly; this is a term they need to use lightly. I placed “Temp Minder” probes in the water compartments and found that when running on furnace power the bays are only 5 degrees above ambient temperatures. So if it’s 27 degrees outside, you are good to go. However, if it’s 10 degrees outside your bay with be 15 degrees. For this reason, I enclosed the majority of my lines in insulation with heat tape and put heaters in the wet bay and fresh tank bay and made sure I empty the grey every night (I have a composting toilet so black is not a problem but I am sure it takes much colder temps to freeze salty urine). With these mods I was good to 4 degrees. This summer I plan to install fresh water tank heater to eliminate the one bay heater.
Thanks for the reply and i agree the "heated" under belly appears to mean they ran some of the ducting through essential areas. not to be confused with having heat ducted to those areas the duct lines simply pass through their we rarely see temps in the low 20s and usually not during the times in wich ill be using it so I'm thinking i should be pretty good with a fresh water heater and a small space heater in the wet bay