Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

Winterization

Hi, we are "Newbies", bought a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV in June this year and now thinking it is time to winterize. We have a tankless water heater. Does anyone have a checklist of steps for winterization. I read the manual but a bit confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
JD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD51 View Post
Hi, we are "Newbies", bought a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV in June this year and now thinking it is time to winterize. We have a tankless water heater. Does anyone have a checklist of steps for winterization. I read the manual but a bit confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Welcome to the forum from Denver.

There's a sticky post on this site that has a lot of the basic info covered that should get you started.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...12-a-9335.html

I would also search youtube. The thing that seems to trip most people up initially is 1)finding the hot water heater bypass valves and 2) turning them correctly. I can't help at all with the tankless stuff... the main reason we have to bypass our 'tank' when we winterize is otherwise the water heater will eat 6 gallons of anitfreeze. Not even sure if there is a bypass needed for yours! but their could be so hoping you get squared away there from other members.

I have a feeling this forum is going to get a TON of winterizing posts over the next couple months. You have till October to figure it out though. I don't usually winterize until the 15th or so and it appears you live about 20 minutes south of me.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

I don't have the 29MV, I have the 31FK. I haven't winterized this one, but I did our previous one. Just a word or two of encouragement and thought.

There seem to be two schools:
- flush with compressed air
- run the Pink RV antifreeze thru

I've done both, on the old one, and I prefer the Pink Stuff approach

Our tankless water heaters will make things a bit easier, we don't have to pull the plug and drain those.

I've posted a question about the water filter and the suggestion is that we need to physically remove the filter from the canister.

So it's remove the filter, drain all tanks.

After that, I'm thinking it's about as simple as:
1. Buy two gallons of the pink stuff
2. Reverse the filter screen on the City Fill connection
3. Attach the short filler hose to City Fill, put the other end in the pink stuff
4. Turn valves to Winterize
5. Pump on
6. Go inside and turn on the each faucet, one at a time, until the pink stuff runs
7. Let the pink stuff flow for several seconds
8. Proceed to next faucet and repeat; then do the two showers
9. The flush the toilet until Pink Stuff appears
10. Disconnect hose. Take left over Pink Antifreeze and pour a cup into each drain/P-Trap and the toilet

I think that's probably about it
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

I found this summary on this forum, if you use a compressoer. There are others if you don't; use the 'search' box. Good luck.

0. Turn off fresh water pump, and also bypass the hot water heater.
1. Connect Air compressor (set at 45psi) to city inlet. blow out the city inlet and all plumbing fixtures, opening and closing each in succession.
2. open the low drain cold side until just air. close it
3. open the low drain hot side until just air. close it
4. disconnect air compressor.
5. Using the "winterizing kit" that came with the camper, turn a 2 way valve that has about 24 inches of tube... and stick that tube into a gallon jug of RV Antifreeze.
6. Turn on the water pump, crack open kitchen sink faucet, and it immediately sucks in some antifreeze - this displaces any water in the impeller housing and the tiny strainer attached to the water pump.
7. Open and close each fixture again in succession. This displaces any potential low points in the PEX tubing with antifreeze.

If this doesn't help, I'll post what we usually do.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Hi pconroy, we tried to winterize our 29MV today using the pink stuff. Followed all the steps but for whatever reason the pink stuff won't siffen up. We had valves turned to 2/4 and pump on but pink stuff didn't siffen up. Help!!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

pink stuff

You need to reverse the cone screen on the winterization take up as it trips the check valve allowing the antifreeze to siphon into the water supply.
rdecarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

yes we reverse the cone screen before hooking up hose.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #8

Oh - sorry I just replied with the same suggestion -- reverse the filter.
I haven't actually winterized ours yet (tonight is the first night its supposed to hi 32*).

Then I'm not sure what's going on.
Are the faucets open?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Took it to Camping World today to find out one of the valves in the winterization setting isn't working. They winterized and will have valve fixed as warranty item in November. Thanks for all your help!