Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #21

Hi RCRACER. I have a 2018 redhawk 26xd. I've attached 2 pics of the water heater bypass (sorry if they're upside down - cameras and myself don't get along very well). I had the same issue finding the bypass valves. Had to call Jayco to figure out where they were under the refrigerator.
If you're getting ready to winterize check out the thread on Winterizing Problem. I'm getting ready to try the corrections recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
1540316200093941399774.jpg   15403162435201338542424.jpg  
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #22

So I'm now also all winterized. Not thrilled w/ having to remove the screws of the panel to get at the bypass. How many times can I take that panel on and off before the holes get stripped?

Maybe a Velcro solution would be better?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So I'm now also all winterized. Not thrilled w/ having to remove the screws of the panel to get at the bypass. How many times can I take that panel on and off before the holes get stripped?

Maybe a Velcro solution would be better?
I got tired of doing the same thing and replaced the screws with 4 magnetic latches. They hold really well and only need to be straightened every once in a while. I was having a hard time getting the water lines attached to the water not to drip so this lets me keep an eye on it often without unscrewing it.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #24

Just took delivery on our 2019 Redhawk 25R, (one slideout), during orientation I asked and was shown the hot water by pass at the bottom of the hot water heater tank. Ours is 6 gallons tank with a plastic plug no anode rod, (guess tank is plastic, don’t know how it doesn’t have a rod, anyone?),. Be sure and by pass and remove the water filter. You can not get antifreeze ,(or bleach sanitization), in that either I am told.

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
2016 red hawk xd that has 2 slides-

under fridge is hot water heater, take off vent and there it is. Close top and bottom lines and open center. It is tight in there and flexible heater duct will be in your way.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
We are ready to winterize our new 2016 Redhawk - however we can't locate the water heater and by pass valve.
This set up is not like our Jayco travel trailer. SO far we have blown the lines but not added any antifreeze as we don't want to fill the water heater.
We've searched EVERYWHERE and can't find any valve-

Please help- temps are dropping...
# 90 degree valves. In and out hot water tank and bypass hot water tank. Shut in and out. Drain HW tank at its compartment. Open bypass around hw tank. Open 3 drains in outside compartment that say drains. open all faucets. After drains stop close all drains and all faucets except one on sink. Set valves in compartment for winterize. Attach a short hose to water inlet. Suck in the pink antifreeze. I start by putting a small funnel on the hose to prime the pump by pouring the antifreeze in to the funnel. Don't forget the outside shower. @ gallons should be plenty of RV anti freeze. Shut faucet in and open another til its flooded.
klirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #27

I have a 2017 Redhawk 26X1. As drk98 stated, you need to remove the panel under/near the refrigerator. You'll see three shut off valves. You need to close the two valves which control water flowing in/out of the WH. You then need to open the bypass valve (which should be closed in summer operation).
I just did mine and had a problem with the check valve by the water entry. The pump is not strong enough to open the check valve and suck antifreeze. As others have stated, turn the water connection screen washer around so that it engages the check valve piston(button). I put another washer between my hose connection and the screen washer to ensure that the check valve was open. Also, ensure that your MH is level.
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Just took delivery on our 2019 Redhawk 25R, (one slideout), during orientation I asked and was shown the hot water by pass at the bottom of the hot water heater tank. Ours is 6 gallons tank with a plastic plug no anode rod, (guess tank is plastic, don’t know how it doesn’t have a rod, anyone?),. Be sure and by pass and remove the water filter. You can not get antifreeze ,(or bleach sanitization), in that either I am told.

John
I remove the filter element and bypass the filter housing with a piece of pex. only need finger. (under bathroom sink)
klirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #29

My fridge is on the opposite side wall of my hot water heater. Would the shutoff’s still be under fridge? The first RV I had was like that. But person doing orientation said it was in outside panel of hot water heater,(not that they know everything!)

JohnyNorthland
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass valve, water heater, winterize