Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

How much is RV antifreeze, $3 a gallon? Buy and extra 6 gallons for the water heater and fill it up this time. Much better than repairing a $1,000 worth of freeze damage! You can find or install the water heater bypass later!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #12

Can you post a picture of your utility compartment and he valves?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

many of the jaycos have a bypass they are somewhere near the back of the water heater usually3 valves hot, cold, and mix, their camping trailers are the same, they just forgot to tell you, check with your dealer service department they will know, i agree 18.00 is a cheap investment to protect a 100,000 investment
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

OK! Found the by-pass valves. They are behind a screwed in access panel, under the refrigerator, and behind the heater ducting, Who would have thunk it?

All three valves were open, so I closed the water heater inlet and outlet valves, and left the third one open. None are labeled, so I don't know exactly what it does, but since it was open, I left it that way.

No I'm going to try again.

Will it hurt anything to leave the two gallons of pink stuff in the water heater? I got two more gallons, rather than try to save what's already in the heater. It's a mess to drain the thing, until I can make up a drain tube and valve arraignment to get the water drain cleanly out from the heater, and not run all over the water heater compartment.

Thanks!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Site Team

Great. Glad you found it and rest assured you will never wonder where it is again.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #16

My only concern it that there is not enough antifreeze mixed with the water in the water heater to properly protect it from freezing. Our winter temps get down to about -4 degrees some nights and mid 20's most days. That amount of antifreeze would not keep the water heater from freezing here in Idaho. Not sure what your winter temps are like, but I would drain the water heater and KNOW that it is protected. We moved up here from Southern California 10 years ago and I had no idea about "winterizing". The first winter I did nothing to our 5th wheel we had at the time. The consequences were every pvc pipe broke and the water heater literally exploded!! I did all the work myself so the cost to repair was about $500 ($350 for a new water heater and $150 for PEX tubing, crimps, crimping tool, new water heater door and assorted other parts.
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #17

usually 1 line is red for hot, 1 line blue for cold, the third valve is the mix valve, close hot and cold usually and open the other which is the mix valve this should bypass heater, leave it that way until you use system again, once using system again close mix valve and open hot and cold this is the usual procedure, don't leave mix valve open otherwise hot and cold mix and the water heater will never shut off, it might be different on jayco check with your dealer, wouldn't it be nice if they had a separate water tank fill, my 29xl is due to be delivered any day- happy days ahead
Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #18

simplest way to protect water heater is leave it open, never leave the pink stuff in it will smell always from the propylene glycol, good luck,
Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #19

x2 on that go outside and pull the drain plug on the water heater and to help facilitate draining it open the popoff valve on the top to let air in
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #20

good idea, i always release the pop off valve, the 1 time i didn't i got soaked, you live and learn