Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

Winterizing question - Greyhawk

I decided to winterize my 2011 31ss today. Didn't accomplish very much. Couldn't get the water pump to take up the antifreeze.

I drained the holding tanks - fresh, grey, and black. Opened and drained three low point drains (fresh water tank, and the 2 under the water heater located in the storage bay). Drained, then bypassed the water heater.

Connected a 30 psi air source to the water inlet and cleared all water from the lines. So far, so good.

Then I connected the tube that came with the rv to the water inlet that is used to flush the black tank, and inserted the tube in the jug of antifreeze, set the valves to 2-4 (sanitize / winterize lines). NO ANTIFREEZE was sucked up when the water pump was turned on. What did I miss?

I've winterized 3 travel trailers in the past that had a valve or two near the water pump to allow the pump to take the antifreeze. Do not see any valves near the water pump on the Greyhawk.

Any / all help will be appreciated.

MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

I`m kinda wondering why there is no winterizing kit on your water pump. With mine you turn the valve to the water supply off and turn on the one that is on the drawtube that goes in the antifreeze bottle. See picture. Does your pump not have these valves? If not, it sounds like your pump is drawing air in from the water tank or water inlet and not drawing from the bottle. Of course my setup is from a travel trailer, MH could be somewhat different.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Then I connected the tube that came with the rv to the water inlet that is used to flush the black tank, and inserted the tube in the jug of antifreeze, set the valves to 2-4 (sanitize / winterize lines). NO ANTIFREEZE was sucked up when the water pump was turned on. What did I miss?
Mike,

You should have connected to the city water inlet... just did my Greyhawk...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

JaycoJoe,

That was it!!!!!! Boy do I fell DUMB! I just went outside and tried it.

I thought I had tried both water inlets. Guess not.

When I was trying earlier, I had the fresh water tank empty. I put water back in the tank when my winterizing efforts failed. Maybe it was drawing air from the empty tank, like Crabman suggested. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I'm a happy camper again.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

This is correct. Worked with my Melbourne on city water connection.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #6

My pleasure Mike!... Don't forget to run some pink stuff thru the outside shower if you have one...Only thing I don't like about winterizing is not camping.... once a month we take it out for a ride and run the generator with a Vornado heater for a load...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #7

I found with our 2010 31 SS the hose fitting to the water inlet must be tight. Any small air leak will not allow the pump to draw the red pop. Also to help the process keep the red pop container at a raised position until the flow starts. Takes a little patience.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
This is correct. Worked with my Melbourne on city water connection.
Just tried to winterize our Melbourne 29d following the procedures in the book (valve in 2-4 position,etc.) but 12v pump would not pull in the antifreeze. Tried multiple things with no luck. Taking to RV dealer tomorrow!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

cutrello1,

I am only able to get antifreeze through the 12v pump if there is water in the fresh water tank. May be your problem, if your fresh water has been drained.

I think with the Jaco coaches, with no shut off valves on the water pump, like the trailers have, the pump draws air from the fresh tank, instead of sucking up the antifreeze. (See Crabman's post/pic earlier in this thread).

Be sure to pull the antifreeze with the city water inlet, not the inlet used to flush the black tank.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #10

Winterize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
cutrello1,

I am only able to get antifreeze through the 12v pump if there is water in the fresh water tank. May be your problem, if your fresh water has been drained.

I think with the Jaco coaches, with no shut off valves on the water pump, like the trailers have, the pump draws air from the fresh tank, instead of sucking up the antifreeze. (See Crabman's post/pic earlier in this thread).

Be sure to pull the antifreeze with the city water inlet, not the inlet used to flush the black tank.
Took my Melbourne to the dealer today and together we got it winterized. They were not sure what the problem was either. Well anyway it is set till we go to Florida for 3 months then I will worry about it later when I try to winterize again. Did not try putting fresh water in the tank first.

cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote